Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

always sell out immediately imo, integrity's cool but for some reason I can't pay my bills with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Babe Magnet posted:

always sell out immediately imo, integrity's cool but for some reason I can't pay my bills with it

You have to cash it in at the same stores that take exposure.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Zereth posted:

Starbound had flashlights, and they... weren't very useful because it turns out in this kind of game you need the ability to see all around you. EDIT: also them taking up a hand didn't help.

EDIT: Terraria does have a dedicated equipment slot for light pets, though, although they're not very useful until hardmode ones, particularly the ones which don't lag behind you.

All I ever did in Terraria was chug light potions. I was so lazy about the whole thing

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shoehead posted:

All I ever did in Terraria was chug light potions. I was so lazy about the whole thing
These days I install a mod which lets me make infinite torches and just use the auto-cursor to spam them everywhere

It's really useful for telling where you've been

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
If the games shooting is half as fun as soldat then I pray for a proper Aliens/Xenomorph mod. Building up a facility and then defending it against hordes of aliens w/ friends..... :getin:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

AG3 posted:

You have to cash it in at the same stores that take exposure.

ah that must be the same place I go to Pay My Dues

Orv
May 4, 2011
*Loud chanting growing closer* soldat Soldat SOLDAT SOLDAT

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Please please please give us options for equipment and stuff. Make different builds viable.

Starbound's equipment system is so bad. Guns suck hard and the armor and epp system is very limited.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Zereth posted:

It's really useful for telling where you've been

Yeah that's the thing about placed light sources. They're not just there to give light, they mark what all I've already explored!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zack Ater posted:

Yeah that's the thing about placed light sources. They're not just there to give light, they mark what all I've already explored!
Oh, yeah, I still did it when I was making torches the legit way, but I had to be careful to not run out and chop down trees and kill slimes to keep me in materials for them. Not just "turn on auto-cursor and hold down the button to place torches while riding this minecart i found"

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah 1 torch = I needed light, 2 torches = something neat this way, 3 torches = haven't been past this point.

Things like that make nice easy markers.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

VodeAndreas posted:

Yeah 1 torch = I needed light, 2 torches = something neat this way, 3 torches = haven't been past this point.

Things like that make nice easy markers.
I tell that I haven't been past that point by the fact that there aren't any torches in that direction :v:

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Zereth posted:

I tell that I haven't been past that point by the fact that there aren't any torches in that direction :v:

Mostly same, but I would form a letter P out of torches if I found a plantera bulb before I was ready to fight it. Similar situation for the biome chests in the dungeon, and I'd cover veins of hardmode ore that I couldn't mine yet in torches. Made them easy to find on the map.

Speaking of maps, any plans for auto-mapping in A Space for Friends?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
important

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Zereth posted:

Well sometimes I forget to place torches or just run out, so that way it means I KNOWINGLY haven't been in that direction :) - there's a difference in the semantics somewhere.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If y'all want a contract I did a bunch of work in MMOs and content creation, as well as tool development and tons of scripting.

Haven't worked in gamedev in a lil over 2 years

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I approve of the presence of ducks and will keep an eye on this.

There was that whole wave of Terraria/Starbound like games that seemed to just up and die in early access/mid development, and with Starbound being not exactly stellar (hoho) my interest in these games just dwindled, Terraria still being the go-to for fun quality experience with and without mods.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
If this ends up being a good Starbound I'm all in, the pixel art is loving great.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hi Rho is off getting a metal endoskeleton but I wanted to pop in 'cos I've been posting itt and I never mentioned that I'm working on this doing creature sprites.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Shoehead posted:

Hi Rho is off getting a metal endoskeleton but I wanted to pop in 'cos I've been posting itt and I never mentioned that I'm working on this doing creature sprites.

No cats???

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Shoehead posted:

Feel better Rho! Awesome sprites, friend.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Hello, I love them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shoehead posted:

I love that bouncy chick.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I really, really wanna hang out with these lovely animals. :3:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you will

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i support the tiny crab

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm glad that "randomly generated animals! New every time! Proc gen will make every world you visit EXCITING!" is out and tired and busted and well done sprites of normal animals are in.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Shoehead posted:

Those are all really cool, thanks for sharing!

Any chance we could get a kiwi bird into the mix, too? Especially of the Okarito variety?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'm glad that "randomly generated animals! New every time! Proc gen will make every world you visit EXCITING!" is out and tired and busted and well done sprites of normal animals are in.

but you don't understand, if you Mr Potato head every monster then you have a trillion different monsters with only a few parts. sure, they all act exactly the same, and have the same health and attacks, and don't always look that great, but its so many more monsters

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

eonwe posted:

but you don't understand, if you Mr Potato head every monster then you have a trillion different monsters with only a few parts. sure, they all act exactly the same, and have the same health and attacks, and don't always look that great, but its so many more monsters

*Starbound flying thing swoops at you executing the same attack that looks like a forcefield*

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

it's going to be kinda weird that if we're visiting alien worlds and they have normal looking animals from Earth, but gently caress proc-generated creatures.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Presumably they're critters brought to these worlds by human colonists.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I can get over seeing a fox at Xanadu-7. It's better than oddly generic proc gen animal #9

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

we'll just make it blue it'll be fine

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Game when

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

we'll just make it blue it'll be fine

Tbh, having the local flora vary between planets and the introduced animals changing slightly to fit in would be awesome.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Tbh, having the local flora vary between planets and the introduced animals changing slightly to fit in would be awesome.

One of my personal manifestos that seems shared with the powers-that-be, and we've had conversations wrt both existing features and features to come, is a solid belief that everything needs to have a certain meaning. Coming from someone responsible for ProcGen, it's my strong belief that ProcGen needs to have solid anchors.

A very common example is the inflation of numbers. While internally I have some numbers that I know by head, inflated numbers are easy to achieve when promoting a game. Using the amount of possibilities seems very common, and an extreme example that I like to use of how two colors can give you extraordinarily high amount of variety:

Consider that an object can use any color, and look good in it. For example, the object can use a gradient to define shadow to light so even if we only define a single color, it will never look flat. Let's say grass, for example, and dirt - two examples which I've already played with color and posted some samples in this thread. If an object can look reasonably good with any color, and we are treating a color as a 24-bit object, then I can make a biome, initialize it with this:

quote:

Pseudocode, where r = random:
colorDirt = colorgradient(new Color32(r.value(0, 255), r.value(0, 255), r.value(0,255), 255));
colorGrass = colorgradient(new Color32(r.value(0, 255), r.value(0, 255), r.value(0,255), 255));

And finalize it with:

quote:

if(block == dirt){color = colorDirt;}
else if(block == grass){color = colorGrass;}

So now we officially have 256^6 variations, of some... sort. With two random colors you can have 281,474,976,710,656 or 281 trillion variations. I'm not a fan of how numbers like this are used. It raises my eyebrow when used to describe procgen elements, and it raises my eyebrow even more when used to describe non-procgen elements (like how many builds a game has: You can multiply every combination of talents or skills possible and get a humongous number, but that does not say anything about how many of those builds will be fun or viable. Sometimes, once the game has reached maturity, the amount of possibility that can be calculated in the quadrillions or more collapses to 1 or 2).

Similarly, in the case of ProcGen and color, I think that biome I just described has no variant: It is "biome with random colors." Absent meaning, after each playthrough the player is very likely to quickly recognize that the rules that govern the variations are pure randomness, and thus there's only one real biome regardless of the dirt or grass color, just like how the biome may look different at day or night, but it's still the same biome.

On the extreme opposite spectrum of gamefication and industry standard color priming, consider that there are only 4 types of grass. But they... don't show up with the same frequency. In fact some are rare, and some are extremely rare. In this case, I'm gonna quickly create a Biome and let you have fun seeing the point :v:

These same colors would obviously also fall within the "every color is possible rule", but I do wonder how many of you folks knew beforehand what the third color would be after seeing blue, knowing they are tied to rarity.

Personally, I like how Megaman's swaps work when you switch a weapon. They indicate both progress and that you're a using a different weapon, and there's something inherently cool in seeing that. I also enjoy thinking about Sonic Mania Encore stage swaps: Each stage has a variation, which you know was handpicked. If it had been just random, there wouldn't be much of a point.

Coming from my side, you'll be seeing plenty of variations because I like to play with color. But these variations will either be subtle, have different weights, or have an explicit purpose. This way no two biomes will look the same but you shouldn't feeling like they're entirely random or meaningless, and at the same time you should feel happy when you luck out and find something really out of this world.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 10, 2019

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Elentor posted:

One of my personal manifestos that seems shared with the powers-that-be

I remember talking about this with you. It's incredibly disingenuous to say "we have 300 million monsters"

If you have 50 heads that spit one of 50 projectiles that all do the same thing, 50 bodies that are just variations of walking animations and 50 tails that have no bearing on the creature at all, and 5 preprogrammed behaviors....you have 5 different monsters at best. People aren't stupid. I hated it.

Things almost always go badly when procgen is used as a substitute for creativity. It just isn't how it's meant to be used.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

The good news is we've finally decided on a name and are most likely going to make some kind of announcement soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Rhopunzel posted:

The good news is we've finally decided on a name and are most likely going to make some kind of announcement soon!

:10bux: on Starbounder.