Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

I only have one thing to say to this.

Q'APLA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I was never a fan of Gowron before, but after playing this I have a new-found respect for him. Robert O'Reilly really puts his weight behind his performance, his work on the Language Labs is also sublime.

mateo360 posted:

Interesting that from the one line he spoke, the old Klingon on the bridge is played by J. G. Hertzler. Better known for Martok. I think this game might have come out before he was regularly in the role.

I've just checked imdb as I knew that J. G. Hertzler played several roles in various Trek franchises, Star Trek: Klingon was his first time acting in the Trek universe.

Snorb posted:

Going through the first video, I gotta say Poq's uncles (I think they're his uncles? They're the two Klingons who headbutt each other, insult the rokeg blood pie, and talk about "a liquid spice called 'wodka'") are loving awesome.

Speaking of which, that was most definitely a reference to Worf's foster mother, Helena Rozhenko.

This video is great, it also contains the larger Klingon from the game who had the role as Captain Nu'Daq in that TNG episode.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I love the fact that the simulation of Gowron can get so frustrated with the player that shuts himself off. And his sly little smiles at various points are great.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Tiggum posted:

I love the fact that the simulation of Gowron can get so frustrated with the player that shuts himself off. And his sly little smiles at various points are great.

Plot twist: The real Gowron is actually in the holodeck and is just screwing with everyone who comes in that particular one.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
This video covers Myths & Legends, Curses and Food & Drink. I briefly go over the other tabs too:

Language Lab (Part 3 - Myths & Legends, Curses, Food & Drink.

I was going to say that this is the last part of the Language Labs, but after posting this video I've noticed that the phonetics descriptions are different from the entry descriptions.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

All the tics that Robert O'Reilly does after the phrases makes me think of Vic Reeves

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is a bonus, bonus, video. This video is the entire phoneme section, it's mostly Marc Okrand explaining more about the phonetics of the Klingon language with video samples (already seen in the entries) by Robert O'Reilly: Language Lab (Part 4 - Phonemes.)

I'll upload the third and final episode of the main playthrough tomorrow. Followed by the last video of this LP on Tuesday, the second part of the wrong choices.

Samovar posted:

All the tics that Robert O'Reilly does after the phrases makes me think of Vic Reeves

This is a big blast from the past!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this final episode, Gowron and the gang track down the culprits and administer their own kind of justice. There were only a handful of puzzles to solve in this section and a couple of them were bullshit. Nevertheless, this section was an enjoyable and satisfying end to the game. I'll upload the final video of this LP in a couple of days. I've started putting work into Borg, that'll happen at some point within the next week.

I like how the default thumbnails for these videos are of Klingons looking happy:

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
T'Val's speech near the end (she's Voq's wife; you and Gowron allow her to speak upon your return to Tanga'niqa) has a glitch at about 18:18 when she says "He would never allow a guest, Gowron of all guests, to be--".

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Snorb posted:

T'Val's speech near the end (she's Voq's wife; you and Gowron allow her to speak upon your return to Tanga'niqa) has a glitch at about 18:18 when she says "He would never allow a guest, Gowron of all guests, to be--".

Thank you for letting me know, I dont know how that slipped by me. There must have been a blip during the encoding that I missed during the replay. I'll be starting work soon, I'll try to re-encode and replace it tonight but it may end up happening tomorrow morning.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Just a quick update. I have found the root of the problem, it was in the original recording. I have no idea how it slipped through several processes but it did. I'll need to go back in to do some editing and reprocessing. I'll upload and replace the new video within the next couple of days along with the last video of the LP.

In the meantime, here are the missing lines of dialogue:

"He would never allow a guest, Gowron of all guests, to be killed in his house. Think of the dishonour. He would die first, as he did."

"If a man wanted my mate dead, he could aim at you Gowron. And know my mate would take the death himself."

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I liked when you wrote the nice poem for the old guy you've been bullying the entire time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Without this game, we wouldn't have this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee9vtxZL-xE

Not sure what point I'm trying to make.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
One of the nice things about this game, even though it was late 90s-era FMV gaming, is that Gowron does heap on the praise for making the right choices (and even if you screw up, he just goes delightfully over the top in his "Ha! You're dead!" explanations.)

I still have no idea how in Kahless's name you're supposed to understand that puzzle about defusing the bomb, and I was watching Allira's instrument the entire time. It's not some kind of weird Chrono Cross-like thing where each button plays a different note, and you're supposed to remember the song you've been hearing throughout the entire game, is it?

Bah. Let's not dwell on the bad. Let's instead think about one of the lesser-known, but most touching, moments of this franchise.

Poq, son of Torghn posted:

Ler'at, House of Tignar, warrior-son
At the Battle of Teth, he took many blows
At the Battle of Rreth, he killed many men
His arms were strong to hold the bat'leth high
His heart was fierce to keep the enemy afraid
At Teth, at Rreth
At Legan, at Dumoth
At Neman

His arms are heavy now
With the weight of many battles
His heart is burdened
By the press of many honors

When he dies, the Heavens will shake
With the screams of his comrades,
Warning the dead,
"Beware, beware! A warrior is coming!"

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Yeah that really pushed the whole thing to a new level for me. Thank you for showing us this unusual episode of Star Trek!

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
It sounds like a musical puzzle because the buttons when pressed do kind of make the notes of the song, but you'd need to be able to play with the bomb enough to hear that the buttons make those notes in order to select them, which doesn't make sense if you can only hear the tones by pressing buttons and instantly blow up when you do.

OTOH making it a musical puzzle would at least be comprehensible (for those of us who can hear and remember notes), I can't see any way to make the connection visually.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
This might be like some of the puzzles from Star Trek: Borg; the only way you can get info to solve some of the puzzles is to fail to solve the puzzle, die, and watch Borgified You actually show you the solution before Q makes fun of you and rewinds time. Which is marginally worse than "rapidly click on the back of Furlong's phaser pistol and cross your fingers the hotspot's working."

At least that game gave you a tricorder you could use to scan some things for hints/solutions.

Speaking of which, Rocket Baby Dolls, when you do play Borg, can you show off some of the funnier narrations from Q's tricorder?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

gegi posted:

It sounds like a musical puzzle because the buttons when pressed do kind of make the notes of the song, but you'd need to be able to play with the bomb enough to hear that the buttons make those notes in order to select them, which doesn't make sense if you can only hear the tones by pressing buttons and instantly blow up when you do.

OTOH making it a musical puzzle would at least be comprehensible (for those of us who can hear and remember notes), I can't see any way to make the connection visually.

Snorb posted:

This might be like some of the puzzles from Star Trek: Borg; the only way you can get info to solve some of the puzzles is to fail to solve the puzzle, die, and watch Borgified You actually show you the solution before Q makes fun of you and rewinds time. Which is marginally worse than "rapidly click on the back of Furlong's phaser pistol and cross your fingers the hotspot's working."

At least that game gave you a tricorder you could use to scan some things for hints/solutions.

Speaking of which, Rocket Baby Dolls, when you do play Borg, can you show off some of the funnier narrations from Q's tricorder?

The problem with the bomb puzzle is that if you press a single button incorrectly, it blows up. You have three attempts to get it right and if you don't, the game quits out on you. There is no rewind and Gowron doesn't tell you to go back in time. It seems like they learnt a few things when they worked on Borg.

Even so, the learn by failure is pretty lovely in Borg as by the time you get to the puzzles, there's no way to rewind time far enough to find the clues in the first place.

I'm still working on the Borg LP, I'll definitely give it another run with the tricorder when I've completed work on the main play through and the wrong choices.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Here is the new link with the patched audio:

This is the last video of the LP, the second half of the wrong choices:

Wrong Choices (Part 2)

Thank you, everyone, for being a part of this LP. So far, this has been the most fun of them all. I would say that it's been the shortest but the next LP is set to be even shorter (45 minutes without commentary.) I'm hoping to put the finishing touches into the main playthrough tonight. I should be back with Star Trek: Borg within the next few days.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm working on the Borg commentary at the moment, I was wrong with my statement that puzzles weren't rewound far enough. I believe that there's only one of those, the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Ahhhh, the memories at beaming overrrrrrrr.

That music puzzle hosed me up as a kid. I have hearing loss and that did not play nicely with me, coupled with no idea what I was trying to figure out. So all of my memories of the game are really strong up until that point, and afterwards I don't even remember anything, having only beaten the game once, and I think I was drunk when I did it. Who knows!