Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

shalafi4 posted:

For diamond electroplated laps?

There are only a tiny handful of faceting machines that can even run a lap as fast as the diamond "wants" to.

lowest end speed wise plated diamond wants to run cutting ceramics is about 4000 Surface Feet per Minute (ie how much lap passes under the stone per minute)

for an 8inch lap the very edge of it hits that 4000 SFM at ~1900 RPM.

the outer edge of a 6 in lap it's 2500 RPM

600 grit Diamond sintered lap from adamas I run at about a 10 on my ultratec, I really only polish using a zinc+/ba5t dual band lap and I run that at 13 haha.

Not sure what those RPMs are though, the highest it can go is 16 but I know it's arbitrary numbers. I got this email from joe rubin at UT years ago:

There are no “official” speed settings that correspond to the numbers. We adjust the high output speed to about 1200 RPM, but for a while before that it was set at 1400 RPM (so there’s some variability from time to time).

Recently, some faceter was moved to test it out and sent us this report:

Ultra Tec Dial RPM's for V5

1- 0 9- 765

2- 75 RPM. 10- 865

3- 170. 11- 965

4- 265. 12- 1065

5- 365. 13- 1165

6- 465. 14- 1265

7- 565. 15- 1365

8- 665. 16- 1465

Now, that was on his machine…

So, for what it’s worth…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My v2 is on an ultrapol industrial polishong base but unfortunately the tachometer lcd is missing a few lines so it isn't very readable.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

My friends dad is crafting jewelry. He’s retired and spends a lot of time on it, and has amassed a huge inventory. At least 8 full suitcases worth of necklaces, bracelets, and pendants.

I’m trying to see if there’s any way he can sell a decent amount, since there’s probably thousands of others doing the same thing.

He’s made a brand, made tags and business cards. He’s tried to find a niche like making custom pieces for female dancers. Not sure if there’s a way he can stand out from the competition.

If anyone has tips or advice, i’d appreciate it and pass it on to him.

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
Could anybody recommend a lacquer for coating jewelry? There are so many options and I'm pretty overwhelmed.

I'm in the US, if that helps any. My wife's skin turns grey in contact with sterling. :(

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Clear nail polish is what we used to use back in the day. There are probably real options now? (Protip: top coat is what you want, not base coat.)

Since it's silver, maybe you could get it rhodium plated?

effika fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 10, 2023

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ever wonder what happens when a giant sapphire is crushed in a hydraulic press?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nP7FUNs6Ss

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I doubt if it counts, but I made a ring out of a silver spoon and prosthetic eye

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sure, why not? Welcome aboard.
How did you affix them together? Looks neat.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Scarodactyl posted:

Sure, why not? Welcome aboard.
How did you affix them together? Looks neat.
Honestly it was just some gorilla glue that was painted black and then red and then with some red loc-tite for the sheen. Held up for month working construction. Way back in my high school days they offered classes in lost wax silver casting. That was fun.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I gotta say out loud that I think gold work is bullshit and I greatly prefer working with platinum. What is this, flux? gently caress off! Oh you can just gently melt prongs without trying? gently caress off! Gimme the welding glasses and let me get to worrying-about-burning-diamond temperatures! The solder goes where you put it, not wherever it wants to go!

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Soul Dentist posted:

I gotta say out loud that I think gold work is bullshit and I greatly prefer working with platinum. What is this, flux? gently caress off! Oh you can just gently melt prongs without trying? gently caress off! Gimme the welding glasses and let me get to worrying-about-burning-diamond temperatures! The solder goes where you put it, not wherever it wants to go!

man I just had one of those super brief trama flashbacks.

From welding Platinum thermocuple wires

0.004" dimeter Platinum thermocouple wires.

Any end ball bigger than 0.012" ? cut it off and try again.

gently caress I hated that project.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lol I work a lot in .6mm wire but that's a whole different ball game

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Soul Dentist posted:

Lol I work a lot in .6mm wire but that's a whole different ball game

yea the threshhold for a "failed" ball on the join is ~ 0.3mm

"feather light touch" was an understatement for it

Dirigibleful
Mar 29, 2014

On a scale of 1 - 10 how bad of an idea is bronze jewellery?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
With 1 being "bad" and 10 being "used for literal millennia and prized for its warmth, strength and workability" I'd say 10

Dirigibleful
Mar 29, 2014

Soul Dentist posted:

With 1 being "bad" and 10 being "used for literal millennia and prized for its warmth, strength and workability" I'd say 10

Thank you, I've got some bronze material I don't know what to do with so I might take a crack at making something super crappy with it.

Sorry for the dumb questions, any tips you wish you'd found at the beginning of your jewelry making journey at all?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Jewelers break, melt, burn, oxidize and otherwise gently caress up precious materials all the time. It's part of the process, and no matter how careful you are sometimes you're gonna lose something expensive. Especially if you're me lol

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Don’t forget the part where you can drop poo poo and never find it again. That’s an insanely cool part about jewelry making.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh yeah the tiny little ping of an important piece achieving escape velocity off your tweezers will haunt you

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I just lost a ~30ct stone that was being prepped for final shooting after I finished cutting it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Did you check the pickle pot on your coworker's bench four seats away? Cause I've found stuff there.

Also when I was first starting I was soldering posts onto stud earring baskets and I had a little bag of ten completed. I rested my foredom handpiece with a rubber polishing wheel in my tray and went to grab a bigger bag when my foot hit the go pedal. This led the rubber wheel to grab the little baggie, tear it open and fling it and the contents directly up at like fifty miles an hour. It took three weeks but the department eventually found them all. The furthest distance between two found earrings was more than ninety feet.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
And here I was, merely well acquainted with the sweep the floor under your bench and hope you sweep up the diamond too technique. I've got a lot to learn it seems.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

I had an emerald slip into one of the prong openings of an outlet on a power strip. I don’t know what’s crazier: that it managed to fall in there, or that I was desperate enough to check.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just use a straw and get ready to bite down

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

There’s a small cobalt spinel that’s been lost in my carpet for (going on) 2 years now 🥲

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Cobalt spinels are fluorescent--must be buried pretty deep if that didn't turn it up.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

Cobalt spinels are fluorescent--must be buried pretty deep if that didn't turn it up.

it’s absolutely escaped me. i’ve done UV light, vacuum with a stocking over it, but still…gone

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

A friend of mine's dad does a lot of dealing in precious stones and at one point he lost a small baggie of tiny diamonds in a washing machine because he forgot to take it out of his pants pocket.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Oh god, it was like one of my last days working at a jewelry store and I walked off with a 2ct princess cut in my purse, and my boss called me looking for it like two hours after I got home. It was cool because we all ran diamonds around like that because we worked in the diamond district, but it was still embarrassing as hell. I shudder to think how poorly that would’ve gone for me if I hadn’t built up enough credibility at the store at that point to buy some latitude.

Plus, everyone knew by that point that I hated princess cuts with my whole heart and soul, so the idea that I would’ve stolen one was ridiculous. I would’ve stolen one of the OECs from the safe!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Nae posted:

Plus, everyone knew by that point that I hated princess cuts with my whole heart and soul

Why did you have to set them

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Thank you for this term; now I know why my mom's vintage diamond looks so much cooler than any other diamond. I've always thought diamonds were boring and it's because they lacked the fun firey rainbows that the Old European Cut ones have!

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Soul Dentist posted:

Why did you have to set them

No I just hated them for their giant tables, fragile girdles, heavy pavilions, busy facet patterns, limited prong options, and dated style.

I hate them way more now that I have to set them.

effika posted:

Thank you for this term; now I know why my mom's vintage diamond looks so much cooler than any other diamond. I've always thought diamonds were boring and it's because they lacked the fun firey rainbows that the Old European Cut ones have!

Glad I could help! I love OECs and their elder squared cousin, the Old Mine Cut (OMC). I’m also a fan of the transitional cut, which came after the OEC but before the modern brilliant—hence the name. They’ve got some of the fire of the older style cuts, but they have the precision and brilliance of more modern cuts to back it up. Really, what’s not to love?

Nae fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 22, 2023

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Recently got my first OEC and it has so much charm and character. Love this chunky faceted boi

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Soul Dentist posted:

This is really funny because I feel this way about gold over silver. I haven’t done much platinum work!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Silver is a step further, I just don't have to deal with it at all lol

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I may have a few chunks 7" square x 1.125" thick of labradorite soon from a miscut on a countertop. I have no rockworking knowledge, but a fair bit of woodworking knowledge and was wondering if my normal HSS woodworking lathe tools would be able to (slowly) cut it? I was thinking of turning some coasters or little lamp/planter bases on the lathe. I could also get carbide scrapers. Or is in general rock cutting done more through abrasives than steel?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah, rocks have to be abraded. Labradorite isn't super hard but at 6 it is likely at least as hard as your steel. It is also somewhat brittle and cleaves, so I think it would react quite poorly to woodcutting tools.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Disclaimer: I have only dabbled in cutting and shaping rock, there's much more expert experts here:

Labradorite is around 6 to 6.5 moh's hardness so your tempered HSS steel tools might cut it - tool steel is at like 4 but I'm not sure how much harder HSS is. But, rock cutting is done with a constant stream of coolant (water, or water + additives, typically), and you might not want to have water spraying around on your wood lathe? Without it you'll get very high heat on your tool surface very fast and destroy the temper. I'm not sure if the water is also needed as a lubricant for the cutting action. I'm also not sure if you can get away with a particular angle of attack that won't produce the equivalent of tearout: all the rock cutting stuff I've used has abrasive diamond wheels, not sharp tools. You can run a diamond wheel saw against your thumb without cutting it because it's actually got a very thin flat surface going against the stone, not a sharp edge.

Secondarily: Labradorite has an orientation in which you'll get the pretty colors, and a slab may not be oriented in the way you want it if you start carving into it. It's composed of many flat layers of stone glued together basically, and you get the pretty shinies from having that flat surface be the smooth surface light reflects off of. You should expect if you carve into it to have mostly angles that don't give you the maximum chatoyancy that the ideal orientation would give you.

All the above said, you could still give it a try with a spare tool you don't mind having to re-grind, and see what happens.

e. based on this chart you need tools of probably at least Rockwell 70 to stand a chance.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 26, 2023

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

all the rock cutting stuff I've used has abrasive diamond wheels, not sharp tools. You can run a diamond wheel saw against your thumb without cutting it because it's actually got a very thin flat surface going against the stone, not a sharp edge.

The professor that taught our faceting courses would do that all the time and alarm the students :(

Anyway seconding the orientation. It might also be a pain in the rear end to polish? Flat surfaces are annoying and I've never managed to get an actual good polish on a piece of labradorite on a cabbing setup. Maybe some other techniques would work better though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Xun posted:

I've never managed to get an actual good polish on a piece of labradorite on a cabbing setup. Maybe some other techniques would work better though
Have you tried cerium oxide? Feldspars polish like magic with cerium.