Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

One thing I like about working with industrial gems is that there isn't much in the way of added environmental cost to most of them--they are a necessary part of growing crystals for industry and using them for gems prevents them from being ground up and reprocessed (or even thrown out altogether).
Incidentally we recently got our hands on some nice titanium sapphire. This material is grown for lasers, and since it's tunable it's ended up displacing a number of other former materials. It's kind of weird stuff because you really can't get it in nature--if titanium gets even a whiff of iron they'll coordinate to produce sapphire's classic blue color. Get it very pure, though, and you get a sort of padparascha-like slightly orangeish pink color.

Can't wait to get some of it cut.

I love this color. In nature is there some other element that co-occurs with iron to make blue sapphires? I know almost nothing about gems and rocks in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

Is anyone in here knowledgeable about tungsten and titanium rings? We're trying to finalize our wedding-ring shopping, and at this point we're pretty sure we want bands with crushed-opal inlay, but most of the options I've found are titanium or tungsten carbide, and I haven't been able to find completely reliable safety information about the material (every source I've found seems to be selling something). What I've been able to find suggests that tungsten rings have to be broken off in an emergency and titanium has to be cut with a sharper saw than softer precious metals; is that accurate? Are either of these things likely to be a real concern if something does happen, or is it something that responders will be able to deal with? I'm not particularly concerned about losing the ring if something happens, and neither of us do manual labor where it's a serious concern, but my fiance has concerns about rings getting stuck, and I'd like to be able to assuage them. Ring recommendations in this vein also welcome!

Immediate safety issues aside for a moment, I've never seen one of those inlay rings that can be resized. That was a deal breaker for me when we were shopping, because not only does my weight fluctuate a lot, my hands swell and constrict seasonally with temp changes. It took two or three resizings for my original platinum band to fit right because we got married in the summer and my hands would get puffy just walking to the jeweler and throw off my sizing. If you're willing to just not wear the ring if you put on a few pounds after getting married or when your hands tend to swell it's probably not a big deal, but if you're planning on actually wearing it for a long time, it's something to consider.

If you screw around and wear a band that's too tight because you got a little fat and didn't/couldn't resize your ring, eventually you run into a very minor situation like an insect bite on your finger that causes swelling and next thing you know, you're finding out your mayor took all the ring cutters out of the fire stations in your city and you're cutting your wedding band off your finger with aviation snips. A person in that situation would be very thankful they'd gone with, say, platinum.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Does it have the right properties to be faceted in the same shapes that diamond is done in? Bc a band with the gems inset like some women's wedding bands would be absolutely hilarious (and I would wear the hell out of it).

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

We typically sell cut stones for 40/ct, it is dense stuff so a 4mm stone is about 0.5ct. I can give a bit of a goon discount though.

Is this $40 per carat?