Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I want to make a ring but I'm having trouble finding a ring blank that looks interesting. I've found the stones I want to use, but haven't had any luck on the actual ring front.

Is there an online catalog or something where I can look for just like, men's ring blanks for faceted stones? Google is giving me every kind of ring blank imaginable, from women's to cab cuts to art deco. Extra bonus points if it has em sub categorized as diff styles like "rock like" or "brutalist" instead of "silver" and "gold that is stupidly expensive".

Any help is appreciated. Not having much luck with my google fu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not married to any particular design but I do require the setting to handle faceted gems.

I'll dig and see what I can find. Thanks!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea I'm not making my own. I am in no way skilled in anything remotely close to it, and honestly there's a better than even chance I'm gonna gently caress something up.

Love that pendant! One of the rings I want to make is a luag garnet.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For those who design rings in 3d to have them printed by shapeways or something, what's the normal price range you charge? Been playing with an image generator and I'm kinda curious what the budget should be.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it ok to pop up some pics of the design style I'm looking for? I don't want to spam the thread.

I don't have anything particular in mind yet, just "chunky" and "rock like" design themes.

If someone could lob up some price ideas, like "oh I'd charge $x for something like this", that's awesome, even if you aren't looking to make the model. I'm just trying to see what sort of budget I need to have before starting up the project.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cool. Played with an AI generator and got these made. They don't look like they'd be hard to make but since I'm new to this, :shrug: .

All kinda rock like and chunky. I'm hoping to get a laug garnet so it has a nice bright green color.

Personally I think it'd be easy to make but again, not a jeweler so I'm just basing it off it being a kinda simple design.

I've got options for emerald cut, round cut, and oval cut. Not particularly married to any design.

Opinions, ideas, etc?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking shapeways print.

Although, considering the stones I want to use, a slightly different shape that lets some light in might work a bit better.

Thankfully this is still very much in the "boy that'd be neat!" stage.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh it'll be silver.

I'd love it to be gold but just the idea of buying some nonfunctioning thing meant solely for decoration for thousands of dollars is just laughable.

I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on a nonfunctioning thing that will be solely meant for decoration. That's way smarter.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd love pics of the lab created neat stones you are selling. I'm not in Tucson either.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

Our lineup of hyperfluorescent scintillator crystals grown for detecting radiation.

I'ma need you to learn me some more about these, cause I think I am in love now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have you ever just slapped one down on a hot piece of uranium glass? I'd imagine it might look kinda neat in the dark.

Do you just sell the rough or do you also do the faceting?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What's the price normally on average run for a cut stone? I'm still very much in the planning stage of my budget, but more info is always welcome. It speaks to my inner lex luthor and the need to own a glowing green ring.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's cool. If I'm thinking correctly I can actually afford something like an 8mm or so stone. Maybe bigger depending on how tacky I feel like being.

Like I said I'm still way in the beginning stages of getting the thing worked out but if you have some ring blanks that are ready to go, shoot me some pics and let's make some tacky jewelry happen.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ditto.

I'm trying to dehoard my house and I need some place to be open for me to set that machine down. That'll take time.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm down for more info about the kit and what starter machine to buy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cool. I am an utter and completely noob to this so when I say "what machine should I buy for the upcoming kit" I literally mean I'd like an answer like "it's easiest on this machine, here's a link" kinda thing.

I have no ideas about where to even buy a starter machine, so any and all advice is welcome.

I'm still in the research phase but the idea I can cut my own superman crystals is tweaking that shiny goblin mode in my brain.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Awesome!

Got it bookmarked, sent a cheap offer in cause I'm on a budget at the moment.

Fingers crossed! 🤞🤞

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do you know when the complete upgrade kit will be available?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh cool it was out of stock earlier I think.

I'll scope it out.

So, let me make sure I have this right:
- gotta buy the faceting machine
-Get the cutkit
-Upgrade is optional?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Weird question but can I cut big items on there or is that a special machine? I'm doodling out a shining dodecahedron/trapazohedron from HP literally and it's like a fist sided ruby crystal. Is that doable on a machine like this or do I need some big other machine for that?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Whoa, big price diff between around 500 and around 8 grand.

Rough is easy enough, I can just ask one of the crystal factories a friend uses for a big chunk.

I would love a giant natural stone one but I'd imagine finding a ruby that size that looks nice is about the equivalent of buying a new car with cash. Gonna be a BIG price tag on there.

I think the stuff he gets cut is k9 crystal or optical grade. Any idea if that works better than glass or quartz or something on the vevor?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea the 9 can refer to the lead content. If I cut that it's gonna be while wearing a respirator.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What would the goon discount end up being on a 10mm LUAG?

God help me I'm curious.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Or an 8mm if 10 is gonna be a house payment or something.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Makes sense. Some people think the more people needed to suffer, the better and more valuable the stones are.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll never understand it. I get that shiny rocks are awesome, but diamonds are not exactly super rare. There's way more rare stones in the world, and flashier/fancier as well.

People just latched onto that "OMG IF IT'S NOT A DIAMOND THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN MINED BY SOME POOR SUCKER IN AFRICA HE JUST DOESN'T LOVE YOU" so hard it's transcended generations now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just got in my LUAG from scarodactyl, and I gotta say it is flat out amazing. It's not as huge as I wanted but I also didn't have to miss a house payment to afford it, so I'm jazzed.

Cannot wait to slap this in the ring I'm working on!