Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

a few months back, the father of a good friend of mine passed away. during the cleaning out of the house, a package of opals with accompanying appraisal reports was discovered. apparently, the father liked opals and though they were going to be the next big thing as investment vehicles and so bought a bunch.

as an example: one of the reports, which dates from 2012, is for a 5.78 carats stone given an "approximate retail replacement value" of around $7,000.00. I've seen the stone and it matches the report.

If my friend were to try and sell these stones, approximately what sort of discount would be expected when compared to a retail price? should the stones be reevaluated and reappraised now that 12 years has passed?

or was the old man ripped off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Like any retail good you shouldn't expect to be able to sell for retail price unless that's your full time job.

Opals are so variable depending on play of color and locale it is impossible to say if the appraisal is accurate from this amount of info.

The opal attributes for the example are as follows:

quote:

Shape: Fancy cabochon
Measurements: 19.80mm x 10.89mm x 5.06mm
Weight: 5.78 cts.
Variety: Natural Dark Opal Type 1
Background: Body Tone N6
Brightness: Very bright
Transparency: Transparency
Spectrum: Green-blue
Tone: clear strong tones
Profile: Low cabochon
Pattern: Broad flash
Display: Weak or blank 1 angle
Distribution: Over 80%
Inclusions: 1% of face

Does this tell you any more? Would it make sense to have them reappraised at a wholesale price?

My initial opinion to the friend, with this based on nothing, was that he probably shouldn't expect any more than 50% at most of the appraised value and probably only 25% if he were to try and sell the stones

bedpan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 8, 2024