Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hi there gem goons, I hope this is a place where one can ask some questions about identification. A friend of mine's dad does a shitload of weird buy-and-trade stuff and often deals in vintage or antique jewellery. He's been trying to get my friend 'into the trade', as it were, and recently handed him a few sacks of things to try and sell. I was helping him sort through it last night and realized that there's a lot in there that I can't tell is real or not, with my amateur knowledge.

A lot of what he has is old silver with small jewels set in it and I'm wondering if there's any kind of resource that would help with identifying what the stones are. For example, there was a necklace with small faceted pale reddish-pink stones which I suspect could be garnets but I know the garnet group is huge with a shitload of variety. Is there a book or website I could suggest to him that could help us figure out what is what?

It was very fun digging through bag after bag of faceted stones and possibly ivory and literal sacks of pearls and amber. Some of the strings of amber beads were about four feet long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Cool, thanks!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Holy crap, those look so cool!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

A friend of mine's dad does a lot of dealing in precious stones and at one point he lost a small baggie of tiny diamonds in a washing machine because he forgot to take it out of his pants pocket.