Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

It was suggested to me to come post over here since someone would likely have more insight. Over in the Weird News Headlines thread, it was posted about a couple claiming to have lost a $280 million dollar emerald in the 2018 Camp wildfire.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article237531689.html
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/was-a-280-million-emerald-destroyed-in-california-wildfire-pge-is-dubious-2019-11-19

While it goes without saying that this couple's likely trying to pull something on the damages claim, I'd never heard of gemstones burning up like this so I googled around. I found mention of impurities within the stone being a factor and as far as emeralds go, they convert into phenacite when burned. I know diamonds can be burned under the right conditions and heat, but what about the other gemstones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Scarodactyl posted:

Heat resistance varies quite a bit from stone to stone. Sapphires are fine up to around 2000c (though these temperatures can certainly affect them, hence heat treatment), but beryl (which emerald is a variety of) will turn to opaque white ash around...I think 800ish c? I've done it once, it wasn't pretty.
For a specimen like this, though, you're not dealing with a single crystal, but a specimen composed of many intergrown crystals of different minerals. They will have different heat tolerances and different rates of thermal expansion. They're also much harder to clean, impossible in many cases to get soot out of fine crennelations, vs a single crystal or faceted stone.

So yeah, a fire could totally destroy a specimen like that with ease. That said, their valuation is insane even by massively-inflated-valuation standards, and I think it's fair to disbelieve anything they say.

That makes sense. Thanks.