Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Thank you! Is there any way to tell if this particular ring is genuine?

No idea about the stone, and the face of the ring appears to have some brassy highlights that are not explained. The inside of the ring is stamped 925 though, which is the standard marking for sterling silver (because it's 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

fatman1683 posted:

Any jewelers/metalworkers in the house? I'm going to be making some rings out of dead soft sterling silver wire, and I'm wondering if they need to be heat hardened or if the work hardening they'll get from rounding them on the mandrel will be enough.

I have access to a kiln, but the rings will be soldered so I'm ambivalent about trying to fire them high enough to heat-treat without melting the solder.

Any suggestions?

It's still going to be pretty malleable if you're just doing basic shaping on a mandrel. Hammering, rolling, or something similar would work harden it a bit more, but even work hardened sterling is still somewhat soft. What's the wire gauge?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

fatman1683 posted:

8 gauge half-round. I'm going to try heat-treating in the kiln at some of the lower temperatures I've found to see if it's enough.

8 gauge I would say don't worry about it, it's plenty thick. 8 gauge half round though puts you right around what I would look at as the minimum desirable thickness for a sterling ring, so yeah I would try to harden it if you can.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

jeff8472 posted:

Found this while cleaning up at grandma's house.

Has an appraisal from 1988 with it. Seems like its man made glass. Do these actually have any real value today?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helenite

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Seconding riogrande.com. Keep in mind that their settings will require some finishing in order to properly set a stone (whether bezel or prong or whatever. )