Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
My birth stone is garnet, so I've got a few garnet pieces that got given to me as gifts over the years. The problem is, they've always looked pretty dark for my tastes - there's not a lot of fire or sparkle to the stones in these pieces unless I'm holding them under direct light.

Is that just how garnet is, or are these poorly cut or something? I'd love to be able to get some pieces that have more fire to them, one day, if that's possible (I wouldn't be able to afford it right now), but if garnet just doesn't sparkle like that, then my dream earrings should feature a different stone - amethyst, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Xun posted:

I think you've got a combo of poorly cut and probably just a (cheaper) dark stone. Garnets come in lots of lighter colors but of course the nicer the color the more $$$ it is. Or get that synthetic yttrium garnet, cheap and good looking!

This website shows some of the possible colors of garnet:
https://www.gia.edu/garnet-quality-factor

Sparkliness can actually be measured by refractive index, or how much the gem bends light. The more a gem bends light the more potential sparkliness it has. Amethyst has a lower RI than garnets so you don't need to lose hope, but a well cut and non dark amethyst will beat out a poorly cut dark garnet any day.

Cheap and poorly cut makes sense - most of them were gifts from my grandmother, who has decent taste but is more likely to have bought them from a mall store considering that these were gifts for a teenager at the time.

It's reassuring to know that what I have isn't the best example of how garnet can look, so I'll have to start saving up to get myself some nice drop earrings that have properly cut stones. Or maybe a necklace with garnet and amethyst.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

I dug out a pair of what I think used to be garnet earrings. I say "used to" because they're now an off-pinkish colour and I know I didn't have any earrings that looked like that.

They don't look particularly good, but mostly I'm confused as to what happened to them. How did they turn that colour from a dark red?

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

I'm not sure looking at them under different lighting would help any. They just look faded. The only time I can remember seeing something like this is when I was a kid and used a glass hairpin to pin something to my window screen, and the glass portion lightened due to constant sun exposure.

(The earrings were also filthy when I found them; there was enough buildup around the posts that I initially thought the posts had been glued to the gems. Even if I were thrilled with how the gems look, I wouldn't be wearing these until I've properly cleaned them.)

tinytort fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 12, 2019

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Scarodactyl posted:

This looks like it is in garnet's normal color range anyway, can't identify it for sure from a photo unfortunately.

Yeah, I expected as much. I'm just baffled by it, since I remember them being a dark red and a couple rings I have that are also garnet haven't colour-shifted like this; all of my garnet jewelry is the stereotypical dark red...except for these earrings now. I was mostly worried that I'd done something to them to make them colour-shift like this.