Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Leperflesh posted:

So uhhh, Gemworld. ... And they're, based on the above page, full on gold fringe freeman on the land lunatics.

There are a lot of stone & gem guys that work solo & live in echo chambers. They wind up with some pretty strange ideas.

I'll send you a PM with a link. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Staryberry posted:

My sister and I were gifted matching necklaces made out of stones from this bracelet. I was hoping to bring my sister’s necklace to a jeweler and have it replicated. I don’t think this is the type of work my local jeweler would handle. I live in the Los Angeles area, so I could drive to the jewelry district there, but I’m overwhelmed by the number of stores and I’m unsure how to find someone who will do I good job. Any advice?

This sounds like it wouldn't be too difficult. If you send me a photo I'll refer you to someone in LA that has the capability.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Staryberry posted:

Any help you could give me would be great. I’d bring the actual necklace with me when I visit the jeweler.

Just sent a PM with info on a friend in your area.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Scarodactyl posted:

Is anyone else at the Tucson gem shows? It might be fun to do another meetup if so.

Had to skip it this year, sadly.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Seluin posted:

I was looking for gems (particularly weird rare poo poo) and facet rough.

I ended up spending most of my time doing Pueblo, 22nd street, JGX, and AGTA.

Was cool seeing some random dino bones too :)

It's an overwhelming experience. And you never know what you'll find being sold out of a duffelbag by some random guy sitting on a sidewalk.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Seluin posted:

Tucson acquisitions!

Cobalt spinel chips, rhodochrosite cab, russian demantoid, hauyne, ethiopian emerald, and some grandiderite.

Excellent cobalt spinel samples. That material is hard to find. That's a very unique rhodochrosite cab, too.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Scarodactyl posted:

https://www.gia.edu/limited-time-offer-enroll-GIA-essentials-elearning-courses-no-charge
The GIA is offering their three intro courses (normally 250 bucks each) for free. If you do all three you get a credential of some sort, no idea if anyone cares (I would think Graduate Gemologist is the one that really matters) but still it is something! I signed up for all three, I will report back.

These are great programs for anyone with an interest in jewelry, diamonds, and gems. Great introduction to the theory of what makes jewels tick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Seluin posted:

Dumb question. But how do folks clean their gems before photography? My methods still have them pretty gross.

I dip in alcohol, dry gently with a lint-free cotton cloth, and then blast the stone with canned air. But that last step can go really wrong so be careful.

There's an art to the "clean a stone inside a cloth" technique. It's like polishing a pair of glasses, but you use both hands with the stone balanced between them.

number 1 snake fan posted:

I live in Michigan, does anyone know of good programs i might be able to take part in?

Which part of Michigan?