Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Any idea what this pendant is made of? The coppery gold stuff is shiny and the whitish-tan areas are translucent.

Edit: added image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Scarodactyl posted:

It is probably pieces of quartz bonded together with metal leaf mixed with epoxy (broadly imitating natural native gold in quartz veins). This is most typically done with faux-turquoise to give it a spiderwebby look (or with purple faux-turquoise which is a weirdly popular item).

It's a neat looking piece and it's cool to know how it might have been made. Thanks!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
What's a reasonable price for a 16" 3mm domed omega sterling silver necklace? The one I got back in the 90s finally broke, and I need a replacement.

I see prices from $30-$90 on Amazon. I would prefer to shop at an actual jewelry store, but the good local one just closed so I'll need to drive a while or order online. I would also prefer not to buy from Amazon but I'm not sure where to look online either.

Any ideas?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Have a picture?

It's not in great shape and I think multiple links are near failure, but here!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I wound up with the $27 Amazon option just to see, and it's probably OK? At least for now, for what I use it for. I do wish I knew what was actually going on with the huge price spread, though!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Xun posted:

Remember that lovely quartz? I finally loving finished it!! :toot:

I think my 1200 topper was going, replaced it and all those scratches went away

It looks like a flower! So pretty :sparkles:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Speaking of corundum, I picked up this ruby in kyanite pendant:

I like the colors a lot, but the stone itself is pretty dully polished. Is this about as good as it will get, since there are so many dips in the surface?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Sorry for the double post, but it seems you all like fluorescence:

Longwave UV flashlight from a GloGerm kit. That pendant is flashy one way or another!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Scarodactyl posted:

Had a quick closer look at the platelets that give the golden sunstone its sheen.
https://www.tiktok.com/@angryturtlejewelry/video/7253348221144059178
(These tiktok auto embeds aren't loading for me on the app though--here's the alternative insta link https://www.instagram.com/reel/CubZmSoNdsN/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==)

It's like glitch art, in real life!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Scarodactyl posted:

I've been cutting Halloween themed gems this month. Here are the first five.

Coffin cut black moissanite

A Castlevania 'Bloody Tear' in czochralski ruby

A grinning skull in grey YAG

A pumpkin in orange lithium tantalate

And a Psycho knife in silver sunstone

I have never seen silver stunstone; that's an amazing flash!

I also really like the ruby; I don't have any non-rough ruby jewelry because I never quite like the color. I love that one, though. Lots of depth to it.

The skull is just subtle enough to go unnoticed. Excellent.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Clear nail polish is what we used to use back in the day. There are probably real options now? (Protip: top coat is what you want, not base coat.)

Since it's silver, maybe you could get it rhodium plated?

effika fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Thank you for this term; now I know why my mom's vintage diamond looks so much cooler than any other diamond. I've always thought diamonds were boring and it's because they lacked the fun firey rainbows that the Old European Cut ones have!