Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Thought I'd show off my wife's engagement ring I had made a few years back.

I found the centre sapphire gem hunting in Australia years before we met and had it cut there. It's an interesting one because it will change colour from golden yellow to emerald green to brownish olive green depending on the lighting. They're known as "wattle sapphires" in Australia. It's exceptionally clean and the cutter did a great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

littlebluellama posted:

oh wow. That's really pretty. Do you have any pictures in the other lighting?

Thanks! Here's a couple different light sources.

the sapphire is around 2.5 carats I believe, wish I'd taken a picture of the rough stone before I had it cut, it was shaped like a shark tooth and had yellow and blue at the extremities.

large hands fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 19, 2019

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Xun posted:

drat that ring is badass! How did you find the rough?

There are places in the gemfields in central Queensland where you can pay to dig up a wheel barrow of dirt from the alluvial deposits and run it through a sluice looking for sapphire.

It's mostly a tourist thing and I'm pretty sure they toss lots of little rough sapphire chips into the sluice before you get there so everyone gets some little souvenirs. They were not expecting me to find that one and were pissed when I didn't take them up on their offer of $500 to sell it to them. Not sure of the worth of the sapphire but the ring is appraised for $10k Canadian. It's a platinum setting with 2x.33 carat colourless pear diamonds I bought loose.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I know right? I spent the rest of that trip with my eyes glued to the ground expecting to trip over gems. I can see how people get the fever. In Coober Pedy they told crazy stories about people finding opalised ammonites digging new driveways, it's almost enough to get you hooked.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Sun was shining so I took a photo of the rutilated quartz and gold pendant I got for my wife from a local jeweller a couple of years ago. It's about an inch and a half long but I need to get the mounts adjusted as it tends to hang to the side when worn.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Wife lost her generic platinum band at work a while back so I'm getting her this cast gold band for Christmas from a local jeweler she loves:

and a pair of earrings for good measure:

I really like the rough look of their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Claes Oldenburger posted:

They're nice! Are these from Emma Glover?

Haha yes, they are. I figured you might be familiar as you're in the industry here I believe. Small world.