Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

The new season draws near and a new thread is needed. We're in the middle of a historic heatwave and I'm melting while typing this. Imagine playing football in this weather. A chance to practice for the Qatar World Cup? Well, Germany needs to qualify first and, well, the taint-smelling booger-eater is still in charge of that campaign.

Anyway, I'm not doing as fully featured an OP as last year because it's hot.

Bundesliga

We bid farewell to Robbery, the duo that at its best tore up everything and now rides off into the sunset after basically defining an era for Bayern. Bayern is doing a little bit of rebuilding and have promised a grandiose "transfer offensive" that has been not all that spectacular so far. Also Hoeneß might step down as president or maybe not.

Dortmund is getting a lot of talk for actually doing a lot of good transfers on the other hand. Bayern may have won their seventh championship in a row, but with the least point total in those years. It seems like this is the best chance Dortmund or one of the other 16 (lol) will have in a while to dethrone the Rekordmeister.

Schalke was back in the doldrums last year and seem to be poised to be Schadenfreude 04 once again. We say goodbye to Stuttgart, Hannover, and Nürnberg and welcome Köln, thread favorite Union Berlin, and *double checks* *rubs eyes* *sips water* *does a spit-take* Paderborn?!? in their stead. Seriously, Paderborn? I had completely forgotten they made it over the summer break.

League play is still three weeks away and starts with an electrifying fixture of Bayern vs Hertha. Yikes. Starting with such a skippable match bodes well for the season.

2. Bundesliga

The reason I'm posting this thread today is that our wonderful second division starts this evening. And Stuttgart vs Hannover is (relatively) speaking an actual big match between two of the league's big dogs to start off with. HSV, failing to get promoted last season, is the third one and starts their season against perennial underdogs Darmstadt. Dresden vs Nürnberg is another tasty fixture coming at the fan-friendly kickoff time of 13:00 tomorrow.

The newbies this season are KSC, Osnabrück and Wehen-Wiesbaden. Wait, those are not newbies at all! We've seen these teams here before! Anyway, welcome back to them and best of luck. The 2. Liga has a tendency to have a big muddled "mid"field between the 4-5 promotion candidates and the one or two completely hopeless teams at the bottom, so anything seems possible.

3. Liga

Ahahahahaha, no I'm not writing more than this sentence about it.

DFB-Pokal

Two weeks from now, everybody gets to pray their team doesn't embarrass themselves against the likes of KSV Baunatal, Atlas Delmenhorst, or TuS Dassendorf. Man, KSV Baunatal... takes me back to when they randomly made it to the Bundesliga in Bundesliga Manager Hattrick back in the day.

Men's National Team

Flyeralarm Frauen-Bundesliga

How's that for a league sponsor, huh? The league kicks off two hours before the men with a true classic of Frankfurt vs Potsdam, the two dominant teams before Wolfsburg (who won 5 of the last 7 championships) and Bayern (who won the other two) arrived with all their money. As always, all the media attention the women get will be via the national team, though.

DFB-Pokal der Frauen

The women's cup has its first round next week, featuring some pairings that sound familiar to fans of the men's game: Eintracht Braunschweig vs Arminia Bielefeld and Hamburger SV vs Union Berlin. None of them are top flight, though. Also it appears like the Bundesliga team actually get a bye for the first round here, but I'm too sweaty to check. Or to copy the fixtures for games I have no idea how you would you even be able to watch into an already long post. It's so hot, did I mention that?

Women's National Team

The World Cup saw the Frauschaft bomb out in the quarterfinal despite a lot (relatively) of domestic hype around the team. Although there are voices critical of the structures in German women's football - from professionalism and player development to, of course, criticism of the handling of the game by the DFB in general - I would expect no sweeping changes. I mean the men did far worse last year and - and I need to start thinking about that because the high blood pressure thinking about that would induce would no doubt not mix well with the heat. The future might be saved because the U19 have reached the finals of the ongoing Euro after defeating the Dutch yesterday and will face France on Sunday for the gold.

(All fixtures subject to heat-related cancellation. It's hot.)

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
And before you ask: yes, I almost chose the tag like a stupid newbie

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I predict that Bayern will win the Meisterschaft with only a small lead this year.

It gets so close because on the way to game of the 20th Spieltag, the FCB Mannschaftsbus gets into an accident, resulting in the deaths of all players.

They still win half of the remaining games despite not sending any players onto the field.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sereri posted:

I predict that Bayern will win the Meisterschaft with only a small lead this year.

It gets so close because on the way to game of the 20th Spieltag, the FCB Mannschaftsbus gets into an accident, resulting in the deaths of all players.

They still win half of the remaining games despite not sending any players onto the field.

The ghosts (and Franz' eyes) of players past will get them through, agreed.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ban me if Bayern win the league :toxx:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

You know Lowtax has a Patreon if you absolutely need to spend 10 bucks now.

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Eisern uniob

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually, ban me if Union don't win the title :toxx:

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Yay football is back! And Dynamo already making GBS threads the bed at home. :cripes:

frankenfreak posted:

Dortmund is getting a lot of talk for actually doing a lot of good transfers on the other hand. Bayern may have won their seventh championship in a row, but with the least point total in those years. It seems like this is the best chance Dortmund or one of the other 16 (lol) will have in a while to dethrone the Rekordmeister.

I saw an article on some stats site that said their model would predict Bayern to get on average about 6 points more and BVB 10 points less for last season (based on number of shots for/against or something like that). I think Dortmund just had a really good run in the first half of the season and in the second half you could already see that was just a fluke. If this season is anything like the second half of last season, Bayern will win by 20 points again...

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
NY Post is reporting that ESPN+ is close to get Bundesliga rights starting 2020-2021 season.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/31/espn-...=site%20buttons

This season will still be with FOX.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

psyer posted:

NY Post is reporting that ESPN+ is close to get Bundesliga rights starting 2020-2021 season.

Oh word?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

psyer posted:

drat. I actually don't mind FOX's coverage, plus I can just get it over the air.

Anyways, go Mainz! I'm hoping for a top-10 finish.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
It was better when I got BuLi and CL in the same fox soccer package. Curious to see what espn+ has to offer

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Good thing is ESPN+ by itself is like 4.99 a month. It is comical trying to chase the rights to different leagues and competitions sometimes.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
gently caress, that's half of what I pay for Soccer Match Pass (which is mostly Rugby now)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://www.zeit.de/sport/2019-08/clemens-toennies-tag-des-handwerks-klimawandel-rassismus

quote:

Clemens Tönnies, Aufsichtsratschef des Fußballbundesligisten Schalke 04, hat mit seinen Thesen zur Eindämmung des Klimawandels Kritik auf sich gezogen. Beim Tag des Handwerks am Donnerstag sagte der Miteigentümer des Lebensmittelherstellers Tönnies Holding laut der Zeitung Neue Westfälische, statt höherer Steuern solle man lieber jährlich 20 Kraftwerke in Afrika finanzieren. Tönnies Begründung dafür: "Dann würden die Afrikaner aufhören, Bäume zu fällen, und sie hören auf, wenn’s dunkel ist, Kinder zu produzieren."
:yikes:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That poo poo even made Swiss news, it's kinda sad because it was next to an article about how awesome and sportmanshiplike the Eintracht Fans were yesterday.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Tönnies would be the kind of person to gently caress with the lights off.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
karton.eu

Even the sponsors for this cup are far from super.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat, loving that peta GO VEGAN STOP CLIMATE CHANGE advertisement

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Bayern might have wanted to score there...

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
Kimmich should be off. Absurd that even with VAR refs are letting players get away with intentional stamps like that

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

I for one hope the Iron Berliners get it done.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Chemnitz fires their captain over buddying up to racists and neo-nazis:

https://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/fussball/chemnitzer-fc-wirft-stuermer-wegen-naehe-zu-rechtsextremen-raus-16319212.html

quote:

Zusätzlich zum aktuellen Vorfall sahen die Gesellschafter der Fußball GmbH nach früheren Vorkommnissen keinen Sinneswandel bei Stürmer Frahn. „Seine Reue damals war eine Farce. Er konnte und wollte die Verantwortung als Spieler und Mannschaftskapitän im Fußballklub nicht umsetzen, denn dazu gehört eines mehr, als nur Tore zu schießen und sich bejubeln zu lassen: Haltung“, hieß es im Statement der Gesellschafterversammlung, die hinzufügte: „Daniel Frahn, für Sie ist beim Chemnitzer FC kein Platz mehr.“

Meanwhile on Schalke:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Meanwhile in Dortmund:

*erases video of the friendly vs Udinese*

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
It's back! Glad we were able to beat the mighty Alemannia.

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go
lmao augsburg

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Making Schmidt a permanent signing felt off after Augsburg got murdered in their last couple of season games, someone in the Augsburg leadership didn't get the memo.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Never in doubt.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
well this has taken an interesting turn

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol get hosed Bayern

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I just tuned in because, frankly, I'm a mess, but in that short time I've already radicalized from stalinist to stalinist² just from that one cutaway to Hoeness. Amazing that no one ever just straight up murders that guy, he's right there

Hahohe etc

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It me, Niko Kovac, having Tolisso play instead of Sanches.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

ze fix is in

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

lmao Grujic, that was his concussion talking.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It me again, Niko your cousin, subbing in minute 85 to give Sanches a cool 5 minutes

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

How the gently caress is this guy getting paid for taking off Gnabry?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

hahohe

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Healbot posted:

It me again, Niko your cousin, subbing in minute 85 to give Sanches a cool 5 minutes

so Sanches is good again, I take it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
that was a good game