Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

As someone who spent an outrageous amount of time screwing around in all 3 LBPs I am very interested to see how this turns out.

If you do a noir it should be in black and white because there are not enough black and white games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

To make things easier are you going to just use existing assets? If not, do you want to build new elements in-engine from scratch, or will there be a conceptual design phase?

I ask because the thing this reminds me most of right now is Psychonauts, and that series is 110% based on super-sharp design work that all started as 2D concepts:

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Hmm, okay then, how about...

You are Slip Tupbadly, accident-prone private eye! In your incompetent hands the simplest cases because monstrous obstacles as black cats, broken mirrors and collapsing ladders plague your every step. You lose evidence randomly from your inventory after failing to resist your alcoholism HUD's pressure to wander into yet another speakeasy; you miss opportunities at revelatory dialog by misspeaking dialog choices the player has no chance of predicting; you have a 1 in 1000 chance your gun will fire even remotely close to its target! But bad luck won't stop Slip- it's the only luck he's ever known!

When Slip's beautiful but ditzy secretary Miss Fire brings him his latest job, a simple cheating spouse case, everyone assumes even Slip can't mess it up. But when he accidentally photographs a completely unrelated crime-scene the heat is on, with every gangster in town out to get the evidence you're not aware you have! Can Slip convince the mob he's not actually after them before they execute him in the street? Nearly impossible one-chance dialog trees, unwinnable minigames and maps that you are holding upside-down stand in your way as Slip Tupbadly, Luckless P.I.!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

An adorable talking dog detective who normally handles friendly animal cases is swept up into the seedy human world of prostitution and murder when no other dick will take the job. Can a G-rated detective cut it in an X-rated world, or will adult themes and situations be too much for this bashful pup? It's Leisure Suit Larry meets the Wonderpets in Detective Dogg vs The Whoremongers!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Aww dangit I missed the obvious rating requirement, never mind.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Setting it in the past would fit the genre. Right now contemporary fiction is tough because even tiny minutiae moves so fast: even PS3 games are kinda weird where everyone has flip-phones and "presidential" still means cautious and well-spoken.

I can imagine a rotary payphone minigame where the numbers are only five digits long and you have to ask an operator to place a long distance call and insert exact change for it would be funny and interesting.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Detectives did used to carry data around in things called "journals", it's not like we invented note-taking in 2008.

Although a rotary smartphone would be pretty funny. Maybe this should be like Brazil and everything is retrofuture?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

So William Burroughs meets Raymond Chandler? I could go for that.

Yeah! Or like Poul Anderson meets Zane Gray. Anachronistic coating around a solid pulp center.

Zig fidgeted with his lit vapostick, taking a long draw that filled the engineered firefly entombed in its tip with vibrant light. Just then a call came in on his telefedora, and its mechanical voice announced what Zig had feared:

"Ze client, she is calling, oui monsieur? Shall I take zee message?"

E- silliness

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I think starting with one murder would be best, for simplicity's sake. It can be the template for future additions.

As for our detective, she needs a motivation and a hook: why is she a gumshoe and how is she unique at it? The immediate model is Miss Marple so let's indulge ourselves and not just make her another pet lady like we're writing every Jane Patterson novel. So...

Sarah Motive is a bold, charismatic former actress whose co-star (and lover) was gunned down on opening night for gambling debts to the mob. Now, despite her city-wide fame she works as a private investigator specializing in disguises and false identities, using elaborate costumes, counterfeit documents and an uncanny skill at mimicking anyone to shed her celebrity and infiltrate anywhere and everywhere in the criminal underworld. But not every criminal is so easily fooled, and as Sarah gathers clues and evidence every opponent she faces has a personal "suspicionometer" that slowly rises, gaff by gaff, until she is recognized and in danger! Death is keenly watching every performance now, of Sarah Motive, Mistress of Disguise!

(We were talking about classic Tim Schaeffer style adventure games and one of the standard elements of those is the "combine three items into a disguise" dynamic. Maybe combine that with Fallout style faction disguises and tricky dialog writing, and every single NPC interaction becomes a minefield!)

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Agreed that there should not be token racial villains and that a Zybourne clock reference is inevitable.

Here's a question- is this a dramatic or a funny detective story? Obviously drama can have comedic elements and vice-versa but general tone is an important thing to talk about up front. Personally I think the forums are at their best when they're funny and their worst when they're maudlin but that doesn't mean we can't attempt a dramatic story. It just makes our goals for manipulating the player's feelings more complex than simply "get a laugh".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Four people pushed one person off a cliff...