Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
MAIN CHARACTER WILL BE A DONG AND-

SubponticatePoster posted:

Also, nothing obscene.

Aw... :smith:

I've always wanted to try Dreams but I got no PS4, this LP seems like a really cool idea. I'm a big sucker for puzzle games in general, so I think we could make something like that, but not too complicated for the first(?) game in the thread. Noir adventure puzzle game? Noir mecha adventure puzzle game? Noir adventure rhythm game?

All I can think of right now is that punching people in the face is always a possible dialogue option, for reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

We can also do point-and-click adventure style easily.

I'm gonna vote for a point-and-click style, cause I like them a lot and you can have the character (or a narrator, or both) commentate on many things around the world with interesting dialogue. Would be nice to get people in the thread to record VA, but maybe that would be too much effort. I'd enjoy it a lot though, personally.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Style - Realistic? Dreamlike? Cute? Plain fuckin' weird?
Mechanics - Do we have an inventory? UI? Do we keep some kind of score? Is there a fail state?
Setting - Past? Future? Contemporary?
Narrative elements - Voiced? Text-only? (In order to make it accessible if we do VA I will still add subtitles)

I'm just throwing ideas here, so let's go.

Style - Ya know, my gut tells me to make it as weird as possible, but actually I think we should try to make it a more grounded solvable murder mystery much like old mystery books. Unless we can find a good way to juxtapose the common noir feel with some weirdness. Maybe make the character dream (pun not intended) or be into drugs that could cause weird things to happen, which could also serve as clues to the mystery and add some humour? (like the dog that poops items that SelenicMartian suggested for example, maybe he could show up in these moments for new puzzles and clues).

Mechanics - Notebook for writing clues and important dialogue. I'm thinking the player will actually have to write there, but maybe that would be too hardcore, but then again if clues show up automatically it doesn't feel as challenging imo, as you can add red herings to the narrative to misguide the player and they'll think it's a legit clue or something. An inventory would be nice so you can have some item puzzles too. In combination with the drugs/dreams idea above, maybe have some kind of meter or point system that changes depending on how much the player relies on the weird world stuff for new clues, like a pseudo sanity meter, perhaps, which could affect how the game ends. At the end of the game, the player will have to point out the culprit and what happened, and you will be able to get it very wrong, and then you will be scored at the end depending on how much you got right.

Setting - Past, ye, but we could have some contemporary stuff like smartphones to make things more streamlined? The smartphone menu could be the main UI, where the actual notes and inventory and the like show up.

Narrative elements - Voiced would be pretty funny, so yes if possible.

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 27, 2019

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I agree with starting with just one murder, we could even have a fake murder if need be later on, but maybe that's too cliche.

Will the shadowy nemesis appear early on in the story or will they be "invisible"? I think the culprit should show up at some point so the player can suspect them. If the culprit were someone that hadn't appeared until the end it wouldn't feel fair to the player imo.

I like the idea of it being non-linear too.

Should we think about the victim already or should we think about the supporting cast backstory first?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

Ronald Knox's 10 Commandments of Detective Fiction.

You read Umineko too? drat

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I started watching a little late, but it was a very nice and chill stream. Makes me wanna get the game but I'm not gonna just buy a PS4 for it. Looking forward to seeing how music-making works and the atrocities symphonies we're gonna make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just going to throw poo poo at a wall until something, if anything, sticks:

WHO was killed? - Samantha's twin brother as suggested / an important person's dear pet / the town's crime lord / some random unknown person with no ID / old lady / a priest

WHO killed them? - Gladys cause I hate nosy people :colbert:

WHY were they killed? - In the case of Samantha's twin brother: Gladys killed him cause he was investigating something which she had been involved in / Pet: she is a horrible person and hates animals and it made a lot of noise at night / crime lord: she killed him for revenge, her significant other had been murdered by him, or at least she heavily suspected it was him / unknown person: she and her sister (or another relative) used to work at a brothel when they were younger (they had no parents) and they had been killed by a patron (who was a foreigner) and ever since then Gladys had been searching for this person to have her revenge / old lady: Gladys served in WWI as a munitions factory worker and the victim was her superior. her superior had been responsible for causing an accident which cost the lives of many, and blamed Gladys since she lacked any alibi or had been doing something her superior asked of her earlier / priest: is actually Satan in disguise and she knew, cause voices from God told her, making her the actual hero in the story!

HOW were they killed? - No clue on this yet

WHEN were they killed? - After midnight, but before 3am? Body is found at another area later?

WHAT killed them? - Choking / poison / pushed off somewhere high / run over by a car / a clock / drug overdose (maybe she's a secret drug addict too and that was an excuse to set the murder up?) / a severe beating with a Rubber dong