Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Steamworld Dig 2 is a masterpiece. I wish it was longer, but the entire Vectron section and the Jetpack are executed so well. It's rare to see a game with this much focus on wanting the player to have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

The game really is a lot of fun, which I hope gets conveyed well in the videos. The Vectron section was a great surprise as neither Steamworld Dig up to that point had incorporated a "run from the rolling boulder" style segments, which are usually the kind of things a game will use early and often if they are part of the design (the Tomb Raider remake series does this to great effect). Because of that I though I had missed something important or had taken a death when it ended. It's a nice twist on the formula.
The whole section's a pretty clear reference to the SA-X bits of Metroid Fusion, which I like a lot. If I taught game design, I'd use this game as an example. There are so many little details about the level design, the movement, the controls, that I really love. Every decision is aimed toward player fun. One of my favorite examples is the save message - when you go to quit, the game tells you how long it's been since the last autosave.