Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Outrail posted:

I feel like it wouldn't really matter how pervasive or powerful Vought is in the face of something like homelander. Unless all the C-levels are ignorant of who the other C-levels are all an Omnipowerful person like homelander needs to do is get ahold of one of them and then it's a matter of pulling fingers off until he knows the names and locations of their offices and labs who get exploded and etc etc until theres nothing but lower management and a few regional offices and the corporation is effectively dead.

Also do something similar to network executives who will immediately fall into line a la 'It's good that Bart did that!'.

But at the same time, doing something that convoluted and boring to smash Vought doesn't fit with Comic Homelander's personality. He wants power, adoration and complete freedom but he wants it all given to him without having to work for it. His idea of a plan to take over the country is to fly into the White House and kill the president, and then sit around like... am I in charge now?. He could bring down Vought if he put his mind to it, but at the same time whoever survived would just rename the company and carry on as before.

Show Vought is very different and so is Show Homelander. He's more of a traditional villain, and he's been open about the fact that if things go badly for him he would just rain down destruction on the world for no point other than revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Beef Stew posted:

Maybe I'm remember it wrong but I could've sworn that homelander gets killed by Black Noir in the White House after the clone reveal, and that afterwards Butcher shows up and kills Black Noir who is very heavily injured and can't fight back.
I think it's the other way around but also this is correct, and so is the post above this one. He barely survives the fight with his duplicate and is finished off by Butcher, although I may be misremembering. I guess the point stands that Vought had a day zero solution in their pocket to handle a rogue Homelander from the get go, although they were not eager to use it (and it was unreliable to begin with).

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
It’s Black noir who’s left holding a piece of Homelander’s shoulder.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Please tell me that's the only time he says anything, 'Looks like he's giving me the cold shoulder' mugging like a Popeye cartoon.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Outrail posted:

Please tell me that's the only time he says anything, 'Looks like he's giving me the cold shoulder' mugging like a Popeye cartoon.

He’s more like “huuurghh hehhh hahhg ehhhngh”.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

I think it's the other way around but also this is correct, and so is the post above this one. He barely survives the fight with his duplicate and is finished off by Butcher, although I may be misremembering. I guess the point stands that Vought had a day zero solution in their pocket to handle a rogue Homelander from the get go, although they were not eager to use it (and it was unreliable to begin with).

Yeah the two messages of the comic are basically "corporations are infinitely powerful" and "corporations are incredibly reckless, stupid and self-serving".

Vought technically has a plan to contain Homelander, but it's such a bad one it ends up causing his downfall instead. And when poo poo goes majorly south they rely on the publicly-funded military to clean up the mess using weapons Vought sold them at enormous profit. Vought is essentially the epitome of how power corrupts the supes, they can do anything so they do the worst possible poo poo because they're dumb and selfish.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Versus the show which doesn't seem to have any message at all. The comics were gross and puerile and often dumb as poo poo but at least it had a ethos

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The show's message is 'People and corporations are wildly irresponsible and selfish and get worse with power. Also life is largely arbitrary poo poo that your boomer parents foisted onto you whether you like it or not. Enjoy the dick trauma.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I dunno, show seems pretty focused on the dude wrapped in the stars and stripes being an rear end in a top hat backed by corporate powers.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I dunno, show seems pretty focused on the dude wrapped in the stars and stripes being an rear end in a top hat backed by corporate powers.
Show Homelander is actively calling Vought shots to the point that (Gen V ending spoiler) someone who is completely unreliable and has just tried to kill several Vought C-tier people, including the CEO, got made into the new Vought product. You could argue that Ashley is only the CEO because Homelander willed it, but that's just making the same point. It gives capitalism a puncheable face, albeit a hard one to punch.

I still like both the Boys and Gen-V, I'm just saying that the world feels a bit smaller in the show because everything ends up always being tied up around the same handful of people (including stuff happening in the past) instead of revolving around a more omnipervasive but distributed villain.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

Show Homelander is actively calling Vought shots to the point that (Gen V ending spoiler) someone who is completely unreliable and has just tried to kill several Vought C-tier people, including the CEO, got made into the new Vought product. You could argue that Ashley is only the CEO because Homelander willed it, but that's just making the same point. It gives capitalism a puncheable face, albeit a hard one to punch.

I still like both the Boys and Gen-V, I'm just saying that the world feels a bit smaller in the show because everything ends up always being tied up around the same handful of people (including stuff happening in the past) instead of revolving around a more omnipervasive but distributed villain.

Agreed. Having the ultimate villain be capitalism/corporations gave the comics a bit more of a theme and more of a nihilistic tone. The show leans much harder towards traditional 'good guys vs. bad guys' storytelling and while they try and flesh out the characters it's still pretty easy to place everyone on one side or the other.

Some of the moments I most enjoyed from the original season were Homelander freaking out about his childhood blanket and confronting his "father", but the last season didn't have any similar character development IMO.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

June 13th, initial dump of three episodes, 8 episodes in total.

Edit: Source

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 23, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Nice. I was starting to think it wouldn't be till next year.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Watched the trailer....I have super enjoyed the show but I am hoping we are getting to a resolution soon. At a certain point the show will feel like wheel spinning if they don't actually resolve the main conflict: The Boys vs. Homelander. He's too urgent and pressing a threat to have them not focus on completely. If it's stretched any further, its not gonna go well.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mike N Eich posted:

Watched the trailer....I have super enjoyed the show but I am hoping we are getting to a resolution soon. At a certain point the show will feel like wheel spinning if they don't actually resolve the main conflict: The Boys vs. Homelander. He's too urgent and pressing a threat to have them not focus on completely. If it's stretched any further, its not gonna go well.

It's almost certainly going to get a 5th season as that's what the showrunner has said was how long he wanted to do it. I would be surprised if the Homelander vs The Boys conflict was resolved before the penultimate episode.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mike N Eich posted:

Homelander is no threat to the Boys because they're no threat to him. He could destroy them at any time and he will if they become inconvenient or too annoying, but until then why should he? They're beneath him. Victoria Neumann is the real threat to the Boys - she is vulnerable to them both directly and politically, and she's ruthless enough to cover her bases.

I think the show has two more seasons in it, and I think it's gearing up to a presidential contest between Homelander and Neumann. The idea of putting the Boys between a monster who won't actually hurt people as long as he gets the adulation he wants and a monster who will hurt people just in case is interesting, with the additional twist that they also have to decide if America's supe president is going to be open or hidden.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

I am curious how the Gen V storyline is going to tie into the Boys and wrapping up the storyline. It feels like we got a hint of how the show is going to end.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's almost certainly going to get a 5th season as that's what the showrunner has said was how long he wanted to do it. I would be surprised if the Homelander vs The Boys conflict was resolved before the penultimate episode.

I can live with this, knowing the show will probably end with 5 seasons is good. Really love this show a lot, don't want to see it end on a bad note because the writers were trying to hard to string it out as long as possible for no reason.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, they're gonna do the thing where the BBEG becomes the enemy of the protags enemy. Or they switch positions and homelands becomes the real hero to take out Butcher and Neumann or something like that.

Shows that stretch on for many seasons do this all the time: The Expanse, The 100, other ones I forgot about.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I wouldn't be too surprised if Butcher becomes the baddy at some point but unless that happens after homelander is finished then it won't make any sense.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I wouldn't be too surprised if Butcher becomes the baddy at some point but unless that happens after homelander is finished then it won't make any sense.

(comics spoiler) This is how the comics go, IIRC. Homerlander dies a few issues before the end and Butcher turns his attention to enacting a total supe genocide, killing all the Boys except Hughie, and Hughie kills him.

I could definitely see the show going this way except I doubt they'd kill the other Boys.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I figure Newman is going to be the main season 4 villain taken care of and Homelander will be the big season 5 one.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I started watching Banshee because of Starr (I started it years back before The Boys was a thing and bounced off for some reason early on) and had to chuckle when his character Hood was asked what he was gonna do and he answered "Whatever the gently caress I want".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

PostNouveau posted:

(comics spoiler) This is how the comics go, IIRC. Homerlander dies a few issues before the end and Butcher turns his attention to enacting a total supe genocide, killing all the Boys except Hughie, and Hughie kills him.

I could definitely see the show going this way except I doubt they'd kill the other Boys.

Given the super virus in gen v, I'm pretty sure this is the route they're going to go with it in the show as well. This season is going to end with homeland either dead or in some position where he's just beyond hosed, and the fifth season would be the boys stopping butcher from killing everyone who's ever been touched by V ever.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

the boys is a B- to C kind of show, pisses me off with it's bad storytelling choices more often than i like them, but it's got some good central performances - son quaid, urban, jensen, whoever plays ashley is pretty good - and obviously it's got this completely magnetic performance by anthony starr which has managed to survive all of the bad writing from s2 + 3 (his writing was good for only him in s1, specifically), but it is an endurance test of just how good is this performance, how long can it keep me interested in seeing what the gently caress homelander is gonna do next vs the attrition rate of i dunno, MM and Starlight choosing pacifism or Frenchie and Kimiko being emotional about each other's existence

you can disagree with me about the writing being trash, i know this is a combative thread from past experience, but my mind is pretty set on that. i would like them to step it up but really all i expect out of the remainder of the boys is like 3 more good homelander related scenes.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
it;s a fun show. I'm entertained.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

What poor writing are you talking about? Use a specific example.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What poor writing are you talking about? Use a specific example.

i edited the post to just include a couple of plotlines from s3 i specifically disliked, but it's really on a scene by scene level that the dialogue and plot movements are hackneyed and obvious.

i mean i know why they're doing it, and why i feel no conviction behind so much of the dialogue - it's because the main event here is, when does the homelander bomb go off? and they're trying every kind of rationalisation - oh maybe he's distracted by being a dad, maybe starlight and mm decide gaining the power to kill him is like, wrong, etc -and it's just boring because it's only being written to prolong the show. there is good stuff ahead - they really tried their hardest to show us that with the soldier boy + butcher + hughie vs homelander fight without making it final even though it felt VERY final at moments - they kind of blew their wad a little there, in the interest of having the show continue. oh here, even have a daydream sequence where he zaps a huge crowd ah really didn't happen, keep watching!

cos it's really just a story of, here's a guy with immeasurable power who could crush us all like bugs, and he doesn't deserve or even understand it. he's a selfish prick. is there some way we could turn this around and get rid of this son of a bitch? because there's no fixing it. some things don't want being fixed.

and they're just waffling with starlight's boring rear end moral dilemmas. every second homelander lives is (or should be, if the writing hadn't downgraded him power wise a lot in s3 to prolong the series) a threat to humanity at large.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 27, 2024

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

althoug i will say the stormfront plotline was decent - didn't care for homelander and her kissing while covered in some guy's blood, that felt like a stupid idiot wrote it, but mainly that storyline was pretty entertaining and relevant.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mcbexx posted:

I started watching Banshee because of Starr (I started it years back before The Boys was a thing and bounced off for some reason early on) and had to chuckle when his character Hood was asked what he was gonna do and he answered "Whatever the gently caress I want".

Banshee is so good. I haven't watched it since the show wrapped up. I need to revisit that.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Well, hard disagree on everything you posted i guess. The show is not just about a super person with super powers who is a super rear end in a top hat, it's political satire.

Which is a very weird thing to say about a show with an episode reovlving around an event called "herogasm".

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

taking something that exists and adding superpowers to the mix isn't satire.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

roomtone posted:

It allows for the personification of nations, classes, and concepts while ascribing different levels of power according to their real life equivalents.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

roomtone posted:

The entire show is chock full of satire. Literally everything about Vought is an over the top parody of modern capitalism and it's all over the place and it's not subtle at all. Every product and commercial they make is comically capitalist in the most consumer insulting way

Also Homelander is literally a Trump parody now

Not every single thing about the show is satirical comedy but the show absolutely goes in hard on rainbow capitalism (Join the Conversation) and does not mince words when it comes to mocking Nazis and cops

The show certainly isn't perfect and honestly I'd prefer they wrap up the story this season but I'll be along for the ride no matter what

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i'm not trying to be a dick when i say it, but i'll try to say it anyway

homelander isn't a trump satire because homelander isn't actually any more ridiculous than trump is. he's the same, plus superpowers and minus a few of trump's IRL less storyworthy qualities like his love of fast food which is really kinda gross. the superpowers aren't there because they're the most useful storytelling tool to highlight trump's absurdity, they are there because this is a superhero show, first and foremost.

vought isn't a satire of any big american corp, it's just a big american corp. plus superpowers. that's literally it.

and the satire justification becomes even more impotent when you have our POV characters like Annie and Hughie deciding no actually, let's work within the system. let's keep trying to find a way within the system. oh that failed utterly? well let's try to find another way within the system. in s4 i'm sure we'll be trying to find another way within the system, while they continue to kinda nerf homelander to make it seem not quite as urgent until somewhere near the end of season 5 he'll suddenly be back at full power again and now it's actually time for the finale.

it's not satire. it's not even a parody. it's a sublimation of anti-capitalist sentiment into good guy vs bad guy bullshit.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 27, 2024

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
If Amazon is evil then how come they made The Boys

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

it's satire

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

moist turtleneck posted:

If Amazon is evil then how come they made The Boys

Vought is the protagonist.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Banshee is a great time! Its also fun to see Antony Starr grow as an actor. He's Fine-At-Best in the first season but really grows into the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

mcbexx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU191_COY2k

When he goes "You stay the gently caress back!" I fully expected him to follow with "or I'll laser you all!"