Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Random Stranger posted:

I don't remember if it was from the comic, but the _dolphin_ in episode 4 was a perfect example of good Garth Ennis stuff: simultaneously horrible and juvenile but also so completely absurd that you have to laugh. The show does have a fair share of lovely Ennis nihilism running through it, but the worst excesses of the comic seem to be gone and there are moments like that which work.

Pretty much my thoughts beat by beat. Turning the dial back on the egregiousness of the source material was a smart move imo. I love that Simon pegg came on board as the dad. I had no idea he was involved, though read nothing about the show other than Rogan and goldberg were developing it for amazon.

I dont recall ever seeing the homelander actor in anything and I thought he knocked it out of the park. I enjoyed where they went in the finale and hope it gets picked up for a second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i didnt get that vibe so much as it being a weird sex thing, but you may be correct too

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

My wife had to work last night so she has the show on and the bad part about binging shows is not being able to absorb and appreciate some of the smaller moments like when The Female hosed everyone up so severely that the last guy living just shot himself in the head instead of taking the mauling lol

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

sorry for the double post. I just read a review that said season 2 has been picked up and (spoiler for a casting addition for s2) aya cash from the great "you're the worst" is coming on next season. . I'm pretty pumped about that, though I dont know who they will be playing

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

A quick google search has all the sites saying she's a gender swapped Stormfront :godwin:.

that's kind of a cool choice given that her dad IRL is jewish, though that sort of reveal might be a fun mindfuck for stormfront if they build it into the character. whatever the role I'm glad they're on board!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Romes128 posted:

Love the show. Watched the whole thing over the past 2 days.

But Homelander is a stupid superhero name.

blame bush for destroying the wtc. the comic was very much written with 9/11 in mind

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I decided to give the books a reread for the first time and holy moly is it hard to believe they're only a decade-plus old. homophobic slurs are excusable because butcher doesn't hate gay people lol

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

Also, this minor character made me laugh. Gumchum!

despite how last-century it seems from 2019, it does have some legit laughs in it. I won't argue that

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

GD_American posted:

Guh. There’s a lot. Rape, cannibalism, necrophilia, a whole ton of child molestation jokes

tw: sexual assault, animal abuse - tek knight fucks a chinchilla named "mr chinky" to death and renders his manservant deaf in one ear because he ostensibly raped his ear hole. That just happened in the book I'm reading. It would take me days to note all the "edgy" stuff they cut from the source material.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

Kubrick did it to Singing in the Rain in Clockwork Orange

that was apparently improvised

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

The only way to hurt Homelander would be to hit him with like a tungsten rod dropped from a satellite. His unbreakable body functions like a crash helmet, your only hope is to scramble his brain inside his own skull with an impact weapon, like a rail gun, IMO.

I’m suddenly reminded of Alan Moore’s legendary Swamp Thing run, featuring a bored and busy Lex Luthor being hired as a consultant to help Gotham take out Swamp Thing because Batman tried to stop him and got his pants pulled down.

lmao im not a big comic book guy but i think ill pick that up because lmao that sounds amazing

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

his diamond skin should have acted as a puncture-proof bodybag based on his power, but is any of that is as funny as an explosive suppository though?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Actually the bomb exploding and shooting all his guts out through his rear end in a top hat, blasting his body around the room like an invisible bottle rocket wouldn't been pretty incredible.

gently caress, that would have been super up the comics' alley and hilarious seeing him smash around the cage on tv. good call

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I skimmed a s2 preview on the AV Club today and saw that stormfront will be played by Aya Cash of "youre the worst" fame
. I loved her in her last show so drat much, I hope she does well in the role.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I am hype, getting some friends into the show with virtual watch sessions before the new season drops.

When I first saw the guy who plays Homelander in the muscle suit I wasn't sure about the cast but now I can't imagine anyone else in the role. His performance really elevates the material.

I've literally never seen the homelander actor in any other role to my knowledge and he was 100% expertly cast. antony what's his name is a goddamn gem of an actor for this part. he'd have killed it on the TV script or the comic book version imo

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

mcmagic posted:

They aren't releasing the whole season at once?!?!?! loving bullshit imo

Apparently they're doing this: "Amazon is dropping the first three episodes all at once on September 4. But after that, you'll have to wait for another new episode each Friday. That means The Boys Season 2 finale won't air until October 9."

Bastards! Maybe I'll wait until they're all out, but I doubt I can hold off.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/the-boys-season-2-release-time-amazon-episodes

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The first 3 episodes are up on Amazon for me (US)

yup. Looks like we're live. I was watching "inside the boys" and e1 (a season 1 recap) auto played into e2 where the intro spoiled the first episode of s2.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Watched e1 and im hyped for aya cash. "Youre the worst"is one of my favorite shows of the last decade. Looking forward to her acting her rear end off again

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Aya Cash is a goddamn treasure and ive missed her since "youre the worst" ended. everyone should give that series a chance.

knowing that aya, personally, herself is jewish, i don't know that she goes full on nazi, but who knows

i put the books down when i tried to reread them after season 1, but now that I'm down to weekly episodic stuff, i may try to re read em

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

She does have those armbands that seem really well placed to have her rip the velcro off and reveal swastikas.

Though I wonder if they'll go full nazi/alt right with her. Her character so far seems pretty in line with a 'white feminist', like a Lena Dunham with super powers.

the character has done blatantly racist poo poo (murdering a building full of black people) and said racial epithets at a japanese charachter while breaking his poo poo. why the gently caress would you think "lena dunham" about a supe named "stormfront"? :psyduck:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Hot drat

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I bought a 2-liter of Fresca at the store yesterday. I used to drink it a bunch cuz I like grapefruit. Still pretty solid IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

V Tu Mama Tambien