Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Frankenstyle posted:

I dunno. I'm not a big comic guy and The Boys is one maybe of three series I've read since college, so I'm not a purist or anything but it was worth reading. I was curious to see how much of the story would get shaved down to fit the show in the interest of time and money. Loved the first episode, but the next two feel like they cut the story to the bone and then patched it back together with pointless filler. It also feels like folks behind the scenes were having a lot of conflicts deciding on the exact mixture of Dark / Comedy they were shooting for, and a lot of it feels a little awkward as a result. Does it get any better, of should I give up now?

If you don’t enjoy something, you don’t have to watch it. Totally ok to bail, my dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

If A-Train was played by a white actor how many people would complain how unrealistic that was considering most of the top athletes, especially when it comes to Athletics in America are black?

Literally no one you weirdo.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

Have you checked the state of twitter lately?

You 100% would have posters like I quoted saying the show wasn't diverse enough and why couldn't A-Train be played by a black actor, yet they'd be the same people complaining that he is right now.

The current state of twitter is a hellfire of white supremacists and MAGA scum and people who don’t understand that millennials are almost 40 years old. Literally *no one* has ever said why is the Flash white when on average the fastest athletes in American sports are Black men?

You literally have invented outrage and have now doubled down on it, drawing away from the initial argument that was “kind of bullshit that they give the one Black superhero a cliched athlete backstory”

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

That's a chunk of it yes but there are many sides to twitter and the side I was referring to was a section of the far left where no attempt at appeasement is ever good enough unless you follow their exact vision. And to clarify im not saying they're in any way bad, like the maga assholes, just that they exist, are extremely annoying and often impossible to please. It's the same people who probably love the new Bat Girl remake.

Using the Flash doesn't work as The Flash isn't an athlete though, he's just a regular guy who happens to be fast. Guaranteed if The Flash's backstory was a young athlete who is gifted super speed and it was rebooted today many would be asking for it to be a black character to reflect modern America but there'd be another side that protested that as too stereotypical, the point being that for many film and tv makers it's a lose lose situation as some of those people would protest no matter what.

A Train didn’t have to be an athlete. They made him one.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Phenotype posted:

He's the guy from Better off Ted! My bad!

Just lol

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Roman Polanski was never cancelled and continues to be lauded to this day. So no, I don’t think there’s room for nuance when the only person who’s ever faced consequences in your examples is the dude who was openly raping women in Hollywood for decades and everyone knew about it and when he was finally brought down the response was “well that’s over since I’m not as bad as Weinstein”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

GORDON posted:

Just compared Aziz to an actual rapist. Christ.

If you think that’s offensive, you’re gonna be furious when you find out that the actual rapist is a cherished director who suffered no setbacks for his actions.