Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I came for the laser baby and stayed for the Homelander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

I like that The Deep is a completely shallow character.

His attempt to write his memoir and realizing he had nowhere to even start with was my favorite moment.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

as to the first question my reading was these newer supes may just be faster in general and a-train just happened to be the fastest guy at the time he got put in the seven.

His line "there're no comebacks at my age" supports it just being an aging athlete thing. He's just not as young as he was anymore and someone in their physical prime could beat him. He's taking Compound V so that he can beat Shockwave in a race and recover from injuries, his trainer points out its having bad long-term effects on his health, but he keeps at it because the Seven don't want the 2nd fastest guy in the world.

As for the G-Men, it's probably going to be massively reworked. Everything about them was over-the-top in a way the show is trying to avoid or tone down, and it wasn't even a particularly good critique of the X-Men themselves.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 29, 2019

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I'm almost expecting Deep to end up as some kind of ecoterrorist given that he genuinely seems to care about Dolphins and other marine life.

He's probably going to drift into some sort of domestic terrorist angle. In the comic there's a one-panel gag where Vought has him wear a KKK-styled costume and his last scene of the series has him shaving his head after hitting rock bottom.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Unless they keep the thing from the comic where Black Noir is a clone of Homelander. Maybe it was Noir dressed as Homelander? Hell, any time we see Homelander, it might actually be Black Noir

It doesn't seem like they're going with that direction: the actor for Black Noir is black, and all the material on his character seems to build him up as a superpowered ninja. But he's so low-key throughout this whole season that he could be sandbagging.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's mentioned that this isn't the first time he'd been captured, but last time Translucent's captors only got one chance before they all died. Even if Homelander and Vought weren't looking for him, he himself is able to effect his own escape fairly quickly once everyone is distracted. Being able to knock him out at will via electricity, plus disrupting his location tracker, gave them the chance to do some trial and error and eventually find a working method.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Compound V on adults seems like crap shoot, Homelander mentioned it took him many tries to get a terrorist to develop superpowers; my guess is many die horribly and/or develop powers incompatible with life.

Unless he already had a Healing Factor, I also assume it accelerates healing as well--A Train recovered from a compound fracture awfully fast.

A-Train's trainer/brother seemed to know immediately he had only recovered that quickly because he had taken V.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

ynohtna posted:

It's gotta be the cheapest, realest laser and strength and flight special effects available.

(Translucent always used a green-screen suited stand-in, of course.)

Translucent was definitely there in person. You know he was there on set, wandering around naked and invisible messing with people.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I thought he would be living in heavily guarded suburb, not some potemkin village and that his whole world consists of basically his house and his mom. That kid is going to have a whole different set of problems.

The real irony is that his upbringing is a lot like Homelanders, its just they thought adding the superficial suburban trappings and a mother would fix the formula.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Lamplighter spends some time highlighting how he's a child prodigy who never lived up to his potential. Compared to other heroes who have some non flashy super strength or Eagle the Archer, I can see him as some whizz kid with a dramatic powerset getting boosted into the spotlight despite some big weaknesses.

Even as a washed out superhero hes still relatively young: you can absolutely see him as a photogenic boy band-style hero with throngs of teenage fans. And then he gets into cool sex parties, then transsexuals, and then whoops he murdered a few small children.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Romes128 posted:

I know it doesn't really apply to the show, but in the comics it was Homelander, Maeve, and Black Noir that are the strongest supes around. Someone said even the rest of the 7 doesn't come close to those 3. Maeve VS Homelander would be good.

The show has alluded to them being the Big Three too, but within the context of marketing. Still, that tracks with the power scale we've seen: in the few Supe on Supe fights we've seen, Black Noir has dominated everyone but Maeve. Maeve did beat him, but by knowing his crippling allergy and taking him by surprise. Homelander is definitely a step above them further at the very least, while Starlight is on a similar level to A-Train (who beat her by juicing) and implied to be a notch above the Deep. Translucent had to actually work to take on Butcher, implying he didn't have much in the way of strength, and Lamplighter had no powers beyond fire control.

Stormfront does seem up there with the Big Three, at least in terms of laser titty levels of resilience.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
My real takeaway is they finally worked in that scene from Season One that got deleted.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

We've never seen Homelander not wearing his costume, correct? Other than a few scenes where he's missing his pants. I can just imagine him in like a Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts, with Starr playing him super awkward and uncomfortable.

An element of that is Starr is much smaller than most of the cast, so he is always wearing a padded suit and heels to look big and imposing.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Is that a new record for shortest tenure on the Seven? Or are we counting blindspot?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Yeah they're total dumbasses. If my enemy was invincible, could laser me to bits and had super hearing, I'd be loving terrified of saying anything anytime lol.

A huge premise of an early season 1 episode was that they had to go to extreme lengths to keep things hidden from Homelander, including a massive explosion in Frenchie's warehouse to distract him. You think playing some pop music or going down an elevator is going to stop it? If he's trying to listen in or watch, he's going to be able to.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

roomtone posted:

it was nice to get a scene of maeve this episode. she's a lot more interesting than some of the poo poo they've been focusing on. i wonder why she's only had 2 scenes this entire season so far, other than the in-story idea that she's laying low.

It was apparently hard to work out schedules for the actress this season so she has minimum screen time and interaction with the rest of the cast.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I don't think Stan Edgar has a secret contingency to use against Homelander, I think he was just very confident in his ability to leverage control of Vought's PR machine to keep him in line. He's still confident that Homelander can't handle it, but he's annoyed that Homelander picked the MAD option. He has the Comics Stillwell quality of being thoroughly unimpressed by Homelander and not having a fear response that he expects from everyone else, we see the same thing as he's intrigued by Hughie in their last scene.

Homelander's just not used to people who are able to genuinely hold things together around him: he can hear people's heartbeats pick up whenever he's even remotely menacing. He's always messing with people and pushing their buttons to see what provokes them. Being immine to that was Stan's leverage.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 12, 2022

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
We don't need the scene of Homelander threatening Victoria through her daughter to get her to sell out Edgar, anymore than we need a scene with Supersonic's brutal murder. It's pretty unambiguous how it went down.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
This episode was everything I needed and more.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
She does a very good job of messing with you because she's normally such a straight man. Her joke about her and Supersonic from earlier in the season also caught me off guard.

Jerusalem posted:

I will say in regards to this that I think Soldier Boy's reaction to MM - "You killed my family" "Which one? :shrug:" or in other words that he's killed more families as collateral damage than he can count (or be bothered to) - demonstrates that he's only better than Homelander insofar is that Homelander is just such an awful and utterly narcissistic monster who thinks he is the only real person (or at least person worth caring about) in the world.

It's not a collateral damage thing. Soldier Boy is insulting MM by implying he has more than one family, that he's a promiscuous father with multiple baby mommas.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Darko posted:

What, no. That wasnt even a stereotype in his time.

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
"Antivillain Character on the Boys is not actually a huge racist" is gonna be a hard sell given the trajectory of the show.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It shows Soldier Boy is the same type of casual, petty dick as Homelander, just less dangerous. He's still a racist who has no issues with kicking people lower on the totem pole.

He can't hear your heartbeat to know what's bugging you, nor can he fly at the speed of sound or obliterate cities with his eyes. So he's less dangerous. But he's also less ambitious: all he wants is all the drugs and young starlets because he has a basic sense of self-worth that isn't dependent on constant validation.

To complete the Homelander parallel: did he know Lady Liberty was a nazi and was ok with it because she was hot?

EDIT: Wait, Vought was her husband, who directly experimented on him to create him. So it's not like he just knew her as some random superhero with an occasional German accent: he knows her as the nazi scientist who created compound V's widow. Frankenstein's Monster banging Frankenstein's wife.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 24, 2022

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'd put them at about 60/40. Kripke went out of his way to get him in the show, and wrote the character with him in mind.

He's had a blast with the character, so unless Homelander lobs him into Saturn or something I'd say there's a chance. He got along well with butcher, and if they go the comic route of butcher killing all supes, I can easily see that kicking off with soldier boy, especially if Homelander is gone.

60% nope, 40% yup.

Consolation prize might be that Jeffrey Dean Morgan really wants into the Boys, so there's a good chance he will show up in season 4.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The first thing he does when Homelander flies at him is drop the shield: he has it when they're squaring off and then it's gone when they start going at it.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Well that's why it's good if he dies, he's been too lovely to deserve a real redemption arc so keeping him around seems like it would just be treading water

Yeah, he and Deep kind of occupy very similar roles as washed up members of the Seven who are kept around to flirt with redemption but also get tormented by Homelander. The Deep is much more entertaining in that purgatory.

I don't object to A-train surviving because I do like the character, but he needs something different to do.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Avasculous posted:

I wonder who he is pummeling. Maybe the Mindstorm guy we know nothing about?

Mindstorm is basically the one remaining member of Payback who can talk, so he probably spills the beans about the details in Nicaragua and Soldier Boy loses it.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah the long streak of bloodstains along a road seems like a difficult coverup, and seems like an obvious "this was a speedster kiilling him" giveaway.

He was dragging him to safety. For fifty miles.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
My personal favorite is that the actual Blondie Rapture video on youtube is filled comments from people who watched the Boys.

As Nero Danced posted:

That reminds me, apparently Henry Cavill is involved in a remake. Defintiely cautious optimism there

He's really living the dream isn't he? He's Superman, he's Geralt of Rivia, he was Sherlock Holmes, he's going to be the Highlander.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
You could say A-Train's survival was a cop out.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Chamale posted:

Novichok is the deadliest nerve agent known to man. After the assassination attempt on Sergei Skripal, it killed a dumpster diver who found the discarded bottle that the novichok was in.

Lace the weed with novichok?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's also not like A-Train just has a brand new heart. He's going to spend the rest of his life on immunosuppressants because otherwise his immune system will attack the big piece of foreign matter in his chest, and even then he's still probably just bought maybe another decade (69% survival rate at 5 years).

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Unrelated, but my personal pick for new thread title is an underappreciated line from that phone call: "Bush like a pomeranian". It's what makes Homelander go "what".

There's a part of me that wishes that phone call had no revelations, it was just Soldier Boy messing with Homelander.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 2, 2022

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

GreenNight posted:

"alright in this season your character will be spending most of his time getting hosed by an octopus"

To be fair the Deep is has now had three octopus sex scenes this season alone, so it is a significant fraction of his screentime. Not counting when he was forced to eat his lover.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

TIP posted:

at this point when someone stumbles in to defend a bigoted character we shoot on sight

Soldier Boy isn't bigoted, he just legitimately doesn't remember all the black families he killed.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The Deep's story needs to be viewed in parallel with A-Train's, and that parallel is at points made explicit by their reunion briefly within the Church of the Collective.

Both committed a transgressional act, but A-Train had it covered up even though his was objectively more serious.

Both had to work through self criticism to try to become better people.

Both got their hands on blackmail material to destroy one of their abusers, but where A-Train pulled the trigger Deep meekly gave it up and then went back to being abused.

Both got booted from the Seven, but worked their way back in very different ways.

A-Train's story is objectively superior though and he sucks up a lot of Deep's air.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
They did my boy Noir dirty.

I feel like there's a lot of tensions building up around the politics that aren't explored. Homelander has a semifascist movement forming around him that cheers on open murder, Vought's stock price is dropping as it becomes Homelander's piggy bank, and he's maneuvering an ally into the White House. This probably ends with him trying to openly overthrow the government, as in the comics.

Dalael posted:

I'm kind of annoyed by the inconsistency of the show for that one scene. Whatever Maeve had in her hand when she stabbed him, should have bent. I had the same issue with stormfront, that a knife could pierce her eyes despite her being tough as poo poo.

We've thrown around the idea that Soldier Boy's laser disrupts other supes' powers while it is charging, so you could say that he was vulnerable in that moment.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 8, 2022

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah I really feel the plan of just getting five or six A tier supes to whale on Homelander is a much better plan that anything else proposed so far.

The issue is there's really just Starlight and Kimiko, and Kimiko doesn't seem to really be on the right level. She can regenerate but she's not strong enough to do much to someone at that level. Maeve is out of action, and there's not enough temp V.

Any other supes are on Homelander's side, or at least not willing to fight him. Deep and A Train are his support squad, Noir is dead, and we don't really have anyone else in the wings.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 8, 2022

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

pik_d posted:

Kimiko has shown that Maeve can get her powers back with another dose of Compound V. Whether they will bring her back is another question.

But does Maeve want to? She's been hinting she'd be fine with being depowered, she's now depowered, everyone thinks she's dead, and she's back with her girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
They should have depowered Homelander and set up Vic the Veep as the new big bad of the next season. Give Starr an entire season of emoting at people from a jail cell as he goes insane.