Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So do the effects of compound V wear off over time? A Train seemed anxious about his race which suggested he wasn't as 'fast' as he used to be and later we see him arrive too late to stop a crime.

If the supes are lab made super soldiers, how did Starlight get her powers? Does Compound V work on animals?

The show does a good job of showing just how dangerous Superheroes would really be, even in the best of circumstances. I mean compare Iron Man getting a few dozen people out of a disabled jet and macguyvering a way to get them safely in the water, to Homelander's blase reaction to long shot suggestions on trying to rescue passengers--he didn't even want to TRY and I'm assuming it's because they could just deny even being there in the first place rather than have the negative publicity of unsuccessfully rescuing the passengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Romes128 posted:

Seems like V gave powers as a baby and maybe enhances them as adults?

Starlight confronted her mother about her being given V as a baby. I think it's pretty much confirmed that everyone with powers was given V.

Her mom was one of those stereotypical pageant moms, right? Because then that would make sense.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm only about halfway through the series.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm almost expecting Deep to end up as some kind of ecoterrorist given that he genuinely seems to care about Dolphins and other marine life.

That dolphin he was trying to save, though... Not so sure that dolphin was some Saint.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

PostNouveau posted:

Drawn from real life. Dolphins are horny af. They're dangerous to trainers not because they'll attack them, but because they'll try to gently caress them and might hold someone underwater to do so.

I'm just imagining having to hear them talk it up the whole time. :stonk:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The lapel thing kind of reminded me of the old Star Trek red federation uniforms that were sometimes open and closed, I assumed some protocol dictated it.

Speaking of uniforms, I noticed that Starlight is the only one of the Seven to be out of uniform. Homelander mentions he ditched his secret identity a long time ago but I bet this is more about them being in an extreme type of Kayfabe. Though it's funny that The Deep is wearing his while trying to rescue the dolphin and also when gassing up his H3. Maeve also drunkenly shows up at her girlfriends place in uniform as well though considering they filmed her little spat I guess Voight is willing to try to monetize the drama.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So I read that in the comic, he was a clone of Homelander who existed as this failsafe to kill Homelander if he ever went rogue. Buuuuut....

What if Noir did that but went rogue himself? Or what if they BOTH went rogue and teamed up? I know that in the comics he kills Homelander and Butcher kills Noir, but it was an incredibly dumb plan by Voight. Given that Homelander can't see through Zinc I'd assume they engineered an obscure 'kryptonite' as a failsafe instead. But I guess it just shows how shortsighted they were about the whole thing.

Also, given how effective they are at surveillance and tracking crimes in progress, I'm totally expecting a lot of these 'crimes' to be rigged. Because otherwise I don't see who in their right mind would be robbing a major bank or anything like that - supes would be on your rear end in seconds.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
a quote="bird with big dick" post="497100016"]
I didn’t like this show until the rear end eating episode and now I’m a fan for life.
[/quote]

Best way to sort out unpaid rent with your landlord huh.

Given everything we had seen up to that point, I had assumed Popclaw had done it on purpose.

Also, Haley Joel Osment playing a washed up child celebrity was pretty hilarious as well.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bananaquiter posted:

So I the comic can Homelander not just see through the mask?

Loved the show, interested to see where it goes.

Not sure if it's in the comic, but in the show Homelander can't see through zinc, so I'd assume his mask was made of it or some other trickery was involved.

I really hope Homelander ends up having some really lame weakness, like he's pretty much godlike but poached eggs would kill him in a heartbeat

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Lmao Homelander is such a petulant manchild at his core.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In terms of cynical superhero stories, I'm surprised Wild Cards. Given that it was written by George RR Martin you'd think they'd have a series of it on Showtime or HBO or something.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Season two is going to have Deep get progressively more and more sexually harassed in increasingly awkward ways I bet.

That Dolphin had powerful friends.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I agree it would be neat to see the Deep turn into an ecoterrorist, play up stuff like climate change and hand him morph into an incompetent Captain Planet.

Besides Starlight, Deep seemed like the only one that really believed his own hype. He could talk to fish, an ability he felt was underutilized by the seven, and seemed to express regret at the deal he had with Oceanland.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What did Homelander whisper to Stillwell in the last episode?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I mean, in the same way that if the police were allowed to beat confessions out of people, we could also solve thousands of cases in a matter of months. Mind-reading would be 1 billion percent unconstitutional, and even if it weren't, it would be inadmissable hearsay in court.

Because almost all superpowers, as depicted in the show, are totally useless at everything but violence. That's the entire point of the Homelander on the airplane scene. Supers can only really fight crime by participating in carefully staged and orchestrated "crime patrols" because real life crime doesn't work like comics crime; all the super-strength in the world isn't going to do poo poo against domestic violence or drunk drivers.

And in the places where it's not useless, it's most likely just o-kay and not actually that big an advantage. A-train could get a job as a courier, for example, but one dude with super-speed is only a little better than a dozen guys with bicycles at delivering packages; it's not going to earn him super-star money.

Incredibles addressed this decades ago with Mr Incredible and Frozone trying to rescue people out of a burning building. Super strength is a liability in a Collapsing building. Freeze powers are reliant on ambient humidity. Wearing a cape is just asking to get sucked into a jet engine.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
*sniffs pitcher full of vodka *
"smells like a comeback!"

Deep is going to go full blown Norma Desmond in season 2 at the rate he's going lol.

Also, the scene with Homelander gleefully lasering terrorists while "Rock the Casbah" was so good. Those glowing red eyes in the dark are incredibly menacing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm not sure how supportive police would be about supes- seems like the supes would be stealing their thunder a lot of the time and if the public sees supes that could just, say, teleport suspects into jail or turn their bullets into steam or something then there's little need to have cops doing a whole bunch of things. Not to mention countless undercover cops that will get maimed or killed by accident from supes intervening by accident.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So far Black Noir hasn't done anything particularly heinous. Even Homelander praised him.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Diverging from the comics in regards to Black Noir opens them up to do a lot more other things for Season 2. Among the possibilities:
-Black Noir is still the 'failsafe' against Homelander, but isn't necessarily a clone, maybe his real superpower is just brain rays that kill Homelander dead or something.

-Doppleganger being more relevant in events that didn't necessarily reveal him (though this would kind of be a cop-out to have flashbacks that were 'suprise it wasn't [person] all along!'.

-Starlight ending up more powerful than she was in the comics, as we see her survive .50cal rounds and who knows how strong her light attacks could be with enough juice to draw from.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Interesting to note about compound V is that it is rather harmful to adults in the long run. It eventually gives A Train a heart attack I assume. Homelander also mentioned it took a bunch of tries to get some terrorist Superheroes. I think the reason Homelander is the most powerful among the Supes is because it was given to him as an embryo, so I bet the earlier you get it the greater and more stable the super powers are.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 9, 2019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jedit posted:

You might want to reword that last sentence. You seem to have changed your flow partway through it. I don't disagree with anything you said, though.

Weird typo thanks

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A Train has super speed but not super reflexes, which is why he hit Robin (being hopped up on Compound V didn't help things obviously).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The Boys: Show us the Octodick, Netflix.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Now that Deep went full Britney Spears I bet the PR people are going to put that big clunky dive helmet on him "something something Atlantean Curse".

I hope Season 2 introduces the rebranded seven as True.

*puts pointy klan hood over dive helmet*
"Smells like a comeback!"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
He did laser the legs off a terrorist at one point but I'm pretty sure he finished him off after.

And yeah, dude loves his laser vision. Aside from flight and a few examples of his super strength he's basically an rear end in a top hat Cyclops.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Oh right. He crushed the guys head very slowly :stonk:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Straight White Shark posted:

Someone said they wanted to see him go full ecoterrorist and blow up a tanker or offshore platform and kill a huge swath of marine life from the oil spill

I agree

He'll reinvent himself as captain Global and the Globateers. They'll get some janky ship and try to intercept a Japanese whaling vessel but end up ramming some narwhal by accident and having its horn impale one of the Globateers.

Grendels Dad posted:

Is it me or did the Deep want to gently caress the dolphin and lobster just before he got them killed? He's not just killing what he loves, he is also constantly cock blocked.

It's the other way around, he tells the dolphin "if I touch it will you shut up?". That dolphin had deep wrapped around his little flipper.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

jabby posted:

I was just confused why he didn't tell the woman to get the gently caress off him and get out. If it was meant to parallel him and Starlight it did a bad job.

Part of me wonders if the plan was for the woman to threaten some kind of false accusation if he didn't go with it, in which case I'm glad they cut it but they probably should have just cut the whole scene. His life falling apart was good enough schadenfreude without heavy-handed role reversal.

He didn't resist because she threatened to say he assaulted her, and in light of what he did to Starlight they would take it at face value and his career would be over. The whole reason he was in Sandusky was to keep him out of the way, they didn't want to deal with more PR disasters.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Did the kids eyes really glow red at the very end, or did they add that in after Homelander said he was his daddy?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I mean Starlight and A Train are the only supes that really get shown in normal clothes (and in A Trains case I think it was partly due to him recovering). I could totally see Maeve having some 'gently caress it' moment where she dramatically yanks off her wig revealing thinning hair underneath.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm not sure he's any less of a piece of poo poo . It's more how he no longer has Voight looking the other way to cover for his incompetence. Deep desperately wants to have the clout that Homelander has. His pet causes might be sincere, but he does seem to crave a broader affirmation for his efforts.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I mean he never really apologized, he just begged Stillwell to make the problem go away. Maybe all the things happening to him will make him genuinely contrite but as long as he's still part of the seven he'll never see it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I want a S2 episode just following Noir around exploring his rich inner life.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
*Maeve double fisting some 4lokos while loitering outside her exes apartment *

*Black Noir repeatedly crashing his plane in Microsoft Flight Simulator*

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Not only that, but when she confronted her mom about knowing about Compound V it gave her the realization she had been lied to her whole life. I think she'll join the Boys in season 2.i think A Train will survive, at least to maintain tension about the fact that they fought each other. Shockwave will no doubt take his place in the seven, which could be interesting as well.

Another possibility is A Train presumed dead by Starlight and she stays with the Seven to try to spy on them, only to get confronted later on by Homelander.

Deep will try to use his powers to stop Homelander but it will backfire horribly when it turns out he can't really control sea life and he'll get eaten alive by thousands of hag fish or something.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
'You played my butt like jazz' is probably the best line of the season.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm sure they'll make her into some gigantic TERF or something regardless.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Get in the Evangelion Huey!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Burning questions for next season:
-A Trains fate, we know he survives but he's gotta be a dead man walking regardless.
-Does Deep hit rock bottom or can he get more pathetic?
-Will Black Noir play out like in the comics or will it be some different twist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I like how we see him staring at a huge portrait of himself which makes him look like a major narcissist but then you also realize he's using his xray vision to creep on his boss .