Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why did they change butcher's wife's death? makes butcher's motive a lot weaker.

also black noir's costume is horrendous not sure why they didn't make that more like the book too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

exmarx posted:

i'm 5 episodes in and the religion stuff seems VERY 2000s

it does but kinda wraps back around into being relevant considering who's in office.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the end of the last episode ruined one of the few actually interesting parts of the comic. using one of my favorite songs ever softened the blow.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HardKase posted:

I like the new direction they have taken it, and the changes are positive. Forget what you know from the comics.

they made homelander go sociopath a little too quickly and the final scene make me worried they're going to cut out the one interesting thing in the comic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Frankenstyle posted:

I dunno. I'm not a big comic guy and The Boys is one maybe of three series I've read since college, so I'm not a purist or anything but it was worth reading. I was curious to see how much of the story would get shaved down to fit the show in the interest of time and money. Loved the first episode, but the next two feel like they cut the story to the bone and then patched it back together with pointless filler. It also feels like folks behind the scenes were having a lot of conflicts deciding on the exact mixture of Dark / Comedy they were shooting for, and a lot of it feels a little awkward as a result. Does it get any better, of should I give up now?

this blows my mind because the only thing the show has done worse is black noir's costume and it looks they're doing away with the single interesting part of the comic homelander being gaslit into allowing himself to slide into sociopathy.

tino posted:

3. How did Homelander found out his rape baby is still alive? Did he go back and lasik the gently caress out of Rawls?

squeezed it out of him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my mistake - we're in agreement there. it's a huge misstep if they're cutting that out (which it looks like they are).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Would it be impossible for them to do that in Season 2? Because Black Noir doesn't really do anything this season. Basically the only of the Seven with nothing going on. It seemed like they were saving him.

they've already done stuff that would make it difficult - in the comic i'm pretty sure homelander doesn't go all out "who the gently caress cares about people" until he throws the family in the car and is conflicted about what pictures are showing and not remembering the stuff happening.

tino posted:

What happens with this part? You guys can go ahead can spoiler the comic for me. I want to know.

black noir is a clone of homelander put in place to kill him as a failsafe by the company (none of the team knows this). but noir goes insane from never getting the order to kill and starts doing hosed up poo poo dressed as homelander and sending the pictures to homelander to bait him into acting in a way that'd cause the company to give the kill order. in the comic noir's the one that rapes butcher's wife and butcher witnesses the baby claw its way out of his wife (it also flies around and shoots lasers and butcher has to beat it to death). black noir sending the pictures to homelander eventually gaslights homelander into becoming totally detached from humanity and go full sociopath since what the hell he's been doing all this awful poo poo he doesn't remember...

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 28, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tino posted:

That read like a bad plot to me since it excuses Homelander of all his bad deeds. The show focuses the blame to the mad scientist corporate lab and Homelander himself. Also, does Homelander have a civilian name?

it doesn't absolve of him since he could've not started doing hosed up poo poo on his own (and he's not a good person before he's gaslit into being completely inhuman). obviously he was always a sociopath deep down if these pictures of events he doesn't remember make him go ahh gently caress it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's funny that stillwell in the comic was one of the very few characters to survive to the end if i remember correctly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Romes128 posted:

Love the show. Watched the whole thing over the past 2 days.

But Homelander is a stupid superhero name.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Romes128 posted:

Yeah i know its supposed to invoke that.

It's still a dumb superhero name.

pretty much all the names are terrible and i'm thinking that was the point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

one thing that makes me think they may keep the one good thing from the comic is the scene where he has sex with stillwell is played like he's a virgin. doesn't really make sense that he'd be having marathon sex or be the one to rape butcher's wife.

Alan Smithee posted:

what's the worst stuff they cut?

it isn't the worst thing in the comic but starlight is assaulted by homelander, black noir, and a-train (at once) not the deep.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Panfilo posted:

So do the effects of compound V wear off over time? A Train seemed anxious about his race which suggested he wasn't as 'fast' as he used to be and later we see him arrive too late to stop a crime.

If the supes are lab made super soldiers, how did Starlight get her powers? Does Compound V work on animals?

have you finished the season? your second to last question is answered.

as to the first question my reading was these newer supes may just be faster in general and a-train just happened to be the fastest guy at the time he got put in the seven.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's what i meant by the "one good thing". unless you mean they're doing the reverse of the comic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Panfilo posted:

So I read that in the comic, he was a clone of Homelander who existed as this failsafe to kill Homelander if he ever went rogue. Buuuuut....

What if Noir did that but went rogue himself? Or what if they BOTH went rogue and teamed up? I know that in the comics he kills Homelander and Butcher kills Noir, but it was an incredibly dumb plan by Voight. Given that Homelander can't see through Zinc I'd assume they engineered an obscure 'kryptonite' as a failsafe instead. But I guess it just shows how shortsighted they were about the whole thing.

Also, given how effective they are at surveillance and tracking crimes in progress, I'm totally expecting a lot of these 'crimes' to be rigged. Because otherwise I don't see who in their right mind would be robbing a major bank or anything like that - supes would be on your rear end in seconds.

in the show homelander and the other superheroes are more powerful than they were in the comics from what i remember.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah it's a good plot and is a lot more interesting than just a semi retread of dr manhattan. you don't actually know it's black noir until the end anyway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LGD posted:

I don't think that's really true, Homelander is at least as powerful in the comics, and many of the other superpowered characters seem noticeably more mortal than they did on the page

the big difference is in the degree to which they currently outclass most of The Boys, and that's down to a significant story change from the comics: In the comics Butcher/his associates/government intelligence generally already knows compound V exists and The Boys are all hopped up on a low-dosage version that allows them to physically go toe-to-toe with weaker superheroes from the get-go, with the exception of Hughie, and injecting him is one of the very first things Butcher does post-recruitment. In the show they don't start out knowing about it, and they're all currently baseline humans with the exception of The Female (and maybe MM)

it's been years since i read the comic but i thought the military could stomp the superheroes if they wanted to.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jerry seinfel posted:

When Hughie gave water to Transluscent I was like, come on dude he'll at least die on 3 days if you don't give him anything to drink.

i thought they were going to poison him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they shoulda just cut black noir if they're going to cut that since his costume is atrocious.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

endgame evaporated from my memory the second i walked out the theater. i can't imagine people actually get hype for that poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

and avatar was the previous highest grossing film. it wasn't good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rhyno posted:

I listened to a doofy rear end in a top hat at work go on a 5 minute rant about how the actress playing Queen Maeve would make a better Wonder Woman than Gal Gadot and he swore to god it had nothing to do with Gal being Israeli and Dominique McElligott being a white Irish woman.

israelis are white.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he should've been able to control vehicles with his mind and rammed them into crowds.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he didn't "create" it since the powers gained are random.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gender-swapping stormfront is a bad move because it shows a massive misunderstanding of fascism.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fascism calls for women to be in "traditional" roles submissive to their husbands and to live as baby factories.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah, but I sort of got the impression that the superheroes in this show are not supposed to be a good representation of their theme. Homelander, for example, doesn't give a poo poo about the population of his country. A-Train is the 3rd fastest man in the world who takes drugs to perch in the #1 spot. The Deep is quite shallow and has killed both sea creatures he tried to save. The evangelical gay bashing superhero has sex with men!

A self-contradictory supe seems 100% intentional??

homelander is a perfect representation of america though.

they have him creating his own enemy, it's perfect.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's better - i had assumed it was just lady stormfront like lady thor.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lose-lose for season 2 it seems.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Boinks posted:

Finished the show, comic was 1000 times better.

this is a troll free zone.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

having read the comic i cannot imagine anyone legitimately thinking it's better than the show let alone 1000 times better.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

With no hyperbole I can say the Dark Past trailer is the best looking Terminator trailer in like 30 years and Arnold went nuts on some MRA tools on reddit during an AMA. They were like how do feel about Terminator becoming feminist propaganda and he was like “you obviously haven’t seen these movies if you don’t think Linda Hamilton is the biggest bad rear end ever and obviously the main hero of the franchise, please stop watching them.”

the dark fate trailer was laughably bad but that owns.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

A part of me wishes after the dvd gift offer to the daughter failed he told her to watch it on Amazon Prime and then mugged at the camera

I would have laughed

it was great they had mesmer be a washed up guy most famous for a show when he was a kid in which he solved crimes with his superpower.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1157846994980937728

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rubellavator posted:

I liked season 1, I had a couple of theories while I was watching that turned into deadends and some new ones after I finished and read about the differences with the comics.

I thought the reason that A-train never recognized Hughie was because they used Doppelganger to do the apology and handshake instead of wasting A-trains time.

Im also wondering if it was indeed black noir who raped Becca, just because of how virginal Homelanders experience with Stillerman was.

the first is to show a-train didn't actually care. a "for me it was tuesday" situation.

the second is how i read the scene and why they may still be keeping the comic storyline partly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

McSpanky posted:

It's been a while since I read it but I think her power was just light projection, no force-blast component and nothing about converting electricity to power it, though she could also fly.

I also liked that the very first thing we saw Homelander do was a classic Superman-esque melt-the-gun trick, establishing the precision and control over his heat vision that he then proceeds to virtually never exercise again for the rest of the season. Because he's the loving Homelander and he can do whatever the gently caress he wants, especially when the cameras aren't rolling.

i think it's funny that he always starts the beam away and then cuts across so it looks cooler when he could just shoot the beam at them and kill them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think haley joel getting his cranium cracked was the most brutal.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

El Padrino posted:

I think it is part "who cares, Vought will make it go away" and part "these superpowered assholes have zero training in crisis management" Homelander can pinpoint his laser eyes to melt a gun in some dude's hands, it was shown in episode 1 but these crime scenes are planned out by Vought, so Homelander knows to play hero when one of the dudes will start firing at him and the melting gun will earn him points with the public.

In the airplane, in a real life threatening scenario, he panics when the dude shoots the remaining pilot so he fires at full-blast to stop it, instead of relying on what little training he has, which is meant for a mostly controlled environment. Remember that Homelander is also a Vought man, so he wants to get them the defense contracts, which was more probable to happen if it was shown that they could handle a crisis, instead of loving it up.

in the comic the plane thing happens on 9/11 and yeah the supes all gently caress it up since they have no training (and actually make 9/11 worse than it was in real life).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Are you loving kidding me with this release schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CainsDescendant posted:

Honestly, I'm pretty tired of series dropping in their entirety. Having a weekly release schedule builds anticipation and gets people talking about a show. Full releases are big for a weekend then they're forgotten. I can see how folks would rather have it all available and watch at their own pace, but I just think gradual release is a better experience overall. It keeps the whole fanbase on the same page, more or less.

Will never understand these bizarre defenses of how shows used to be done. I don't care about the discussion poo poo I wanna watch the show. Most shows are improved by being able to binge them. It made sense when a show had each episode as its own (mostly) self-contained story. That isn't how most shows are made now.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 27, 2020