Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Only one episode in but I kinda liked it? I've read all the original material and it seems like they took a really well-thought step down from "dark edgy lol" to "dark edgy but not lol". The Robin scene was as horrible as it needed to be to set up Hughie's arc and and the "induction" scene was still loving awful yet still toned down from the original? Maybe? Karl Urban is twice the Butcher I thought he'd be, so I'm interested in where this is going...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

Ellis is also an okay novelist. I don't remember much about Gun Machine to be honest, but Normal had some interesting futurism in it that seemed plausible in a sort of modern spin on Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner.

I liked the part about GPS/Guidance systems becoming robust enough that missiles could be replaced by lawn darts dropped from drones.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

sliami posted:

like 40% of comments about sf are "what do you mean she's a nazi all she did was murder a whole building of black people with a sneer of utter contempt on her face. and the slur she spat into an asian man's face while she reveled in his suffering wasn't even that bad"

why is everyone so god drat bad at spotting racists

I was thinking about reading the Lovecraft Country thread today but after reading and considering this, I think I'll pass. Gonna leave that particular can of worms unopened.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

I'm kinda thinking now that the Liberty/Stormfront hints are a obvious fakeout and the real reveal is going to be that Soldier Boy is her father. A Liberty/Soldier Boy hookup flashback would have a real "America seduced by fascism" subtext that feels in-line with both what Ennis would write and the direction the showrunners are going in.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Preacher is good, it gets really weird and dark but I don’t really think it ever hits the lows of any of his other works

Preacher has more than its share of really awful edgelord stuff, it's just that everybody forgets about the awful pointless poo poo because the basic story and main characters were pretty fun.

Wasn't there like a 4 page spread of TC catching fish to gut and gently caress? And the whole Herr Starr becoming an anal rape fetishist that dragged on for the back third of the series...ugh. Don't reread Preacher in 2020; just enjoy the rose-colored glasses for what they are. And never, ever, ever read Crossed.