Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Three eps in. I love the world building and overall concept, plus the non-stop digs at modern marketing and branding.

I'm hooked. But I'm not overwhelmed by the show. Its entertaining, but nothing I feel like I've never seen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Admittedly, wasnt too impressed with this show at first. And then a dolphin was ejected from a van, and it culminated with one of the best cliffhanger ending setups I've seen in a long time.

This show is good as hell.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I haven't participated in this thread because I was avoiding spoilers, but I really loved this season. I never expected it to end up being such a clever allegory about the corrupting influence of nationalism on government, but it was all so well executed.

I was also clinched with anxiety throughout the entire episode 8! The Girls Getting It DONE was loving bad rear end and I loved every bit of it.

Since this show has already been renewed, I really can't wait to see what they do with everything. Especially Ryan, since he'll more than likely come under the influence of Neumann and her newfound political weight.

I also didn't have an issue with Maeve saving the day twice so quickly. I thought it was fairly obvious she probably followed Stormfront from the tower. And she's a supe, and tailing after two regular people who probably really didn't get very far at all in the time they were beating the poo poo out of Stormfront didn't seem implausible. But whatever, it didn't bother me.

One of the bigger hanging threads out there is Soldier Boy. They mentioned him and dropped references to him quite a bit this season, to the point that I assumed he would show up. Especially once it was revealed one WW2 veteran (SF) had already re-emerged. That makes me wonder if we won't see him next season in some capacity.

Then of course there is Cindy roaming around, or any other supe test subjects that might have survived. Which could just be another allegory for domestic terrorism next season, and how the biggest threats are the ones we made ourselves (see: this week's busted plot against the Michigan governor).

Either way, hell of a season, but most of all I can't wait to see where Neumann really comes from. Is she a Vaught product Edgar is manipulating from another angle within politics to infiltrate the government? Or did someone else synthesize some V that we don't know about (which seems unlikely)?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Sab669 posted:

Given her age, it seems highly unlikely she's another entity's agent (or I guess she could've been dosed as an adult, but I doubt that)

Either she's Vaught, or she's some other Supe's baby.

That's a good point. There has to be pretty high odds that of the supes who procreated, at least one other one had to have given way to a natural born supe.

And something I just thought of, at the very end when Alastair is telling A-Train and The Deep about the one opening in The Seven, shouldn't there be two openings? Or did Black Noir survive his allergic reaction?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Thank you all for clarifying! There was a moment my wife just had to tell me about something she saw on Twitter and I was wondering if I missed something. I totally missed that Homelander called that out. Good to know.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

davidspackage posted:

Anthony Starr once again phenomenal. Despite Homelander being a monster, Starr still made me feel he genuinely cared about Ryan insofar that he sees his own childhood in him. Little touches like his uncomfortable looks when Stormfront started in on WHITE GENOCIDE were great too. And then when he's losing his fight against tears at the end, can't believe I feel sorry for a psychopath ("I'll destroy everything and everyone").

First, Anthony Starr better win an Emmy for his performance this season because holy hell he's been sensational.

Secondly, those little moments actually had me thinking that Homelander would be the one to kill Stormfront more than once. You got the sense that he genuinely had affection for Ryan, and SF was just too off the rails for his liking. But he also sold the absolute disgust in Stormfront's failure when he showed up and she had been torn to pieces by Ryan. He already thinks of himself as a god, but in his mind he's even above all the supes now.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I was finally able to watch all 3 eps. I'm really interested in this mission to figure out what happened to Soldier Boy, and enjoyed the 80s flashback to Nicaragua. I am also really surprised at this show's ability to make me feel bad for The Deep in spite of how much of a rapey piece of poo poo he really is. Eating Timothy... I was shocked at how bothered I was by that whole thing.

Anyhow, loving it so far.

As for Gunpowder's powers, according to a wiki I found, he's got super-sight (aim!), incredibly durable and enhanced marksmanship. Which seems fairly tame for a super team? But it was the 80s and we don't really know how many supes existed, so maybe the road to being on top of the mountain was a lot shorter.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
After catching up on the series I was expecting more of the "Herogasm." The season-opening scene with Termite and that dude was more shocking than anything in this party. Hell, BlueHawk's demise was way more ghastly and eyebrow-raising than the party itself.

Anyway, I did think it was funny how both MM and Butcher, separately, pointed out, "Oh Frenchie is going to be heartbroken he is missing this."

I have almost 0 knowledge of the comics, but with two episodes left this season, I have no predictions on where this is going and I don't think they're going to resolve a whole lot. Especially since season 4 has already been announced and is in development.

That said, I do feel like Homelander is the biggest wild card. He's been confirmed to have some sort of split personality and is losing his grip. Add to that, he just got his rear end beat in a fight, and suddenly his invulnerability isn't so certain. The more I think about it, it's pretty nice having unclear stakes with an almost 100% unhinged character in play. Although I really want to see what happens if SB's "depowering radiation blast" actually harms Homelander if he gets to hit him with it.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
This show just gets better, holy poo poo. This loving ep turned an exposition dump into a tour de force. Every beat landed with max impact.

I was so sucked into it that I finally got that "escapism" I've always wondered was real.

And though it all, will Annie save Hughie? And what's Soldier Boy gonna do when he learns about his grandson?

As predictable as it is to us, absorbers of waaaaay too much content. Going full Oedipus on Homelander would be :discourse:

Edit: I'm excited about the extreme toxicity that a Homelander and Soldier Boy team up brings. Made more interesting in the fact they're both frauds and trying to hold that up.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 2, 2022

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
A lot of octopus can swallow some decently sized fish, so an average penis should fit ok for such a large octopus as we've seen Deep get in.

Female octopus are also substantially bigger than males of the species, as in up to 30x bigger. so Deep is also presumably straight with octopi since his dong would never fit in a male.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

DTurtle posted:

Just because Amazon has infinite cash does not mean that the shows on Amazon have infinite cash. To the contrary, with small exceptions (Rings of Power), Amazon seems to have been relatively conservative with regards to show budgets.

The Citadel also had an absurd budget. They reportedly spent about $300 million on producing that boring rear end show.

That said, I finally finished Gen V last night. I have to be honest, I was really enjoying the show through six episodes. It was set in a familiar world if you actually watch The Boys, but didn't seem to require any prior knowledge of events to keep up. It was doing its own thing, and I really liked that. But then episodes 7 and 8 absolutely required that you at least Google some characters and old plots real quick, and the show lost that independence it had from its forebear. It quickly went from "Gen V season 1," to "The Boys season 3.5," and I didn't care for that at all.

Although I did mostly enjoy the new characters. I still can't decide if Sam's turn at the very end was rushed or not. On the one hand, he should be a raging inferno of hatred toward normal humans, but at the same time they spent so much time establishing that he actually had feelings of right vs wrong. It felt unearned that one brief in-universe MAGA meetup and Cate removing his empathy turned him into superpowered Anton Chigurh (No Country For Old Men). I loved Emma, but was disappointed at how her story was sort of spun off into just her being the Jiminy Cricket to Sam's Pinocchio.

Regardless, I'll be watching The Boys season 4 with bells on, but I wished Gen V had continued on its own momentum instead of developing into an appetizer for the other show.

I was also interested in my wife's engagement with this one. She won't watch The Boys because "everyone is too whiney." But she recognized most of the cast from Netflix's Sabrina being in this show, gave it a shot and really liked it. However, the instant it started tying in closer and closer to The Boys in ep7, she started to lose interest, and once Homelander descended, she was done and told me to feel free to keep watching without her.