Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I dunno. I'm not a big comic guy and The Boys is one maybe of three series I've read since college, so I'm not a purist or anything but it was worth reading. I was curious to see how much of the story would get shaved down to fit the show in the interest of time and money. Loved the first episode, but the next two feel like they cut the story to the bone and then patched it back together with pointless filler. It also feels like folks behind the scenes were having a lot of conflicts deciding on the exact mixture of Dark / Comedy they were shooting for, and a lot of it feels a little awkward as a result. Does it get any better, of should I give up now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

PostNouveau posted:

Ah what are you doing that's so important you gotta maximize your entertainment time just watch it you ain't doing nothing else anyway you know it

Yeah, sorry. I guess that sounded like a "Should I waste my precious time" dickhead post, but I work twelve to eighteen hour shifts at a hospital so I have to target my TV watching strategically in between moments of passing out while taking off my shoes.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Groovelord Neato posted:

homelander being gaslit into allowing himself to slide into sociopathy.

That's the missing stuff that I was bitching about.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
I dunno. I mean I get that not giving the boys D-grade super powers like in the source material was a choice made to keep the budget under control...er, I mean to make standing against the supes feel like a real sacrifice in the face of danger, and it could have worked really well with good writers. I also think that "They give up their humanity to become what they hate in order to make the world better" would have been an easier job for the writers that they actually hired. The first two episodes of season one drive home the question "How the hell do you conduct guerilla warfare against an enemy with X-ray vision and super sonic flying powers and stuff?" I was pumped at the time because I was looking forward to how that question was going to answered. I was hoping for a better answer than plot armor, blind luck, blackmail, and stupidity.

The show is riddled with people threatening other people with personal dirt, and any time personal dirt gets released the bad guys basically hop on TV and "Nuh-unh" the controversy all gone. Then ten minutes later some God level hero caves in to another blackmail attempt and lets their arch nemesis walk off stage left. It just feels like the writers are confusing having dumb luck with being clever, and confusing stupidity with hubris. Basically the setup to everything tends to be so thin that none of the consequences feel like they have any real weight.

And I could probably look past all that because the show is mostly fun, but then the climax of season 2 is when Evil Superman whose greatest power is his own ego just grimaces a bit and caves in to yet another blackmail attempt by someone he considered to be under his thumb. Suddenly Homelander feels less like an unhinged time bomb with mommy issues on the brink of exploding, and more like a chump. There's just no antagonist in the show who feels particularly threatening, and no good guys that feel competent. Mostly though I'm just bitter because I hate retracing my steps and being all like "Hey person from work, remember that show I said you should check out? Well maybe don't instead".

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

So, I'm guessing you didn't get chills when they were doing the eye close up during his speech where he looked like he was about to snap?

poo poo, when he tossed out the "I will destroy everyone and everything" I got nervous, because he didn't even bother with the usual "you love" aspect, because he didn't give a gently caress. He would happily burn down the world if the people turned against him. He has no one. His fake wife is dead, his girlfriend was murdered by his kid, his old mommy fantasy got blew the gently caress up (after he melted her face), and the weird dude who could at least pretend to be her, he killed. His literal flesh and blood chose a stranger over him. The dude can't get close to anyone because of his childhood trauma, and even if he did get close, her have to be careful not to break them, plus he has no social skills due to his upbringing.

Dude is literally hanging on by a thread. He was ready to straight up murder one of the seven in the headquarters, and that was BEFORE most of the bad poo poo happened to him this season.

Well yeah but they keep showing him on the brink, then they push him at speed toward the brink, and then they have the ego-maniacal God man teetering on the brink of reality with not a single person on the planet capable of standing in the path of his rage just go "Yup. There's nothing I can do to fight another unflattering video on Youtube. Time to beat off on a skyscraper".

I mean I get what you're saying, and I see what they were going for, but the choices they made and how they got to where they ended up all feels pretty meh.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Thinking about it, I guess my biggest issue is that they leaned so hard into Homelander's instability that he's already at the point where it feels like he should be saying, "Okay gently caress it. I can depopulate this planet on a long Saturday afternoon. If you animals don't love me I'll teach you to fear me. Now I want see a 7 billion person que forming of folks waiting to suck my dick."

It's like they pushed his character past his breaking point too early in the story and they're stuck with coming up with contrived excuses to hold him back, which isn't the best climax for a season finale.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

jabby posted:

Most supes we see are jerks, but they all have human reasons for being jerks. So the changes to Lamplighter make sense.

I dunno, Lamplighter was another kinda weak link this season. He willingly(?) goes from being a super rock star to working as an orderly / cremation murder machine who has been spiraling toward suicide out of guilt while willingly killing people for money. And all that when Vought could have just quietly disappeared him and built an actual crematorium for the lab where the cell doors are only super power proof from the inside somehow. "I'm bad. I'm reluctantly bad. I'm too sad to live" is a weird character arc for ten minutes of screen time. It just felt like they found a plot line and awkwardly jammed him in to without much thought and I don't see why they didn't just cut the character from the show because nothing about his bits are necessary or even make sense.

I mean the show is fun as a kooky experiment into what it'd be like if they redid the old 67 Batman show in the same campy style, and then every episode ended with a hard R battle against GWAR. I see where it's almost well written, but then it trips over it's own feet, and it bugs the poo poo out of me that it tosses out the one interesting thing from the comics that should have been the reason for selling the show to the network in the first place.

Turning the most likeable side character into a 3rd graders first dick joke was a pretty weird choice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

cosmin posted:

don't want to derail this thread but I'm cautious about going into the Comics subforum (is there one?)

Now that I kind of finished The Boys and I found a good source for comics, is there anything else I should check out to clean my eyes and my taste buds after all this ennis-ness? Adult oriented, stand-alone arcs, no golden age superheroes, already read Transmetropolitan, The Losers, 99 Bullets, Preacher(didn't finish it), TWD but I think I missed Miller's Batman, never read any Daredevil (there was a good arc I think?), Punisher (should I start Ennis' Punisher?) etc

One of the better super hero deconstruction books following the hosed up lives of their sidekicks was Brat Pack. It's pretty dark and bleak, but it doesn't have that exploitative edge-lord garishness of stuff like The Boys. It's from '91 and feels kind of dated a bit in the dialog department, but it's worth the time.

*Also I had no clue those spin-off mini runs of The Boys existed until this thread, and I wish I still didn't. If anyone is picking up the comic stick to the OG 72 issue series because holy poo poo that stuff is terrible.