Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Grem posted:

I was really pleased with how The Deep's story turned out. It looked like they were going to try to make him sympathetic, but everything that happens to him doesn't invoke sympathy, it makes me happy.

I like that they took the gimmick that all his thunder is turned to ridicule whenever he tries to act heroic (like emerging from the Hudson river with a condom stuck to his deep sea helmet) in the comic into "wants to act heroic but is a huge rear end in a top hat/buffoon and karma just keeps biting back, hard."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

ruddiger posted:

He looks more like a younger Bradley Cooper to me, especially in the way he grins.

I liked that the super terrorist is named "the Captain". I hope he gets a marvel-esque costume next season, to drive the point home.

I thought The Captain got eye-lasered by Homelander when he went inside the building after his reveal? Since he was playing up the need to keep soldiers safe from super terrorists.

Doesn't mean they won't have more since A-Train was running Compound V all over the world as part of HL's plan

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Jedit posted:

It makes sense when you consider that the superheroes are a product and a license to Vought. They're not going to do anything that would potentially endanger their cash cows. Homelander is willing to do it, though, because he's never encountered anything that can actually hurt him and it's made him think that nothing can.

Isn't that largely what made Black Noir snap? He's next to HL all his life in case he goes against Vought but HL is pretty satisfied with the status quo and has no reason to stir the pot

Also, I may be remembering this incorrectly from the comic, but aren't the "villains" in the comics just supes that want to go against what Vought dictates (according to their share of the pie) and are promptly murdered pummeled into submission by the other supes and their demise is made public via Victory comics?

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Mesmer could ideally work with Law Enforcement but how do you use that in a court of law?

Supes are forbidden to work directly with law enforcement or military in that universe and have no training of any kind, that's also why Homelander and Maeve had no idea how to deal with the plane

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Mat Cauthon posted:

In the books Maeve is supposed to be about on his level at least strength wise.

In the comics the only one that's equal/stronger than Homelander is Black Noir. Every hero is afraid of pissing HL because he will manhandle/laser eye them. Near the end of the comic run Maeve pushes Starlight off the Seven's base, attacks HL with her sword which breaks on impact, and then HL punches her head clean off her shoulders. Homelander throws the head past Starlight before he goes to face Stilwell.

Black Noir punches Homelander's jaw off before ripping him apart

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Homelander is genetically Stormfront's son too, in addition to getting pumped of V while in the womb. Kinda wanna see how they're going to handle this bit when FemStormfront is introduced in the series.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Rubellavator posted:

All Homelander had to do was not laser the poo poo out of the cockpit. Even with dead pilots they probably could have figured something out. Homelander just doesn't give a poo poo.

I think it is part "who cares, Vought will make it go away" and part "these superpowered assholes have zero training in crisis management" Homelander can pinpoint his laser eyes to melt a gun in some dude's hands, it was shown in episode 1 but these crime scenes are planned out by Vought, so Homelander knows to play hero when one of the dudes will start firing at him and the melting gun will earn him points with the public.

In the airplane, in a real life threatening scenario, he panics when the dude shoots the remaining pilot so he fires at full-blast to stop it, instead of relying on what little training he has, which is meant for a mostly controlled environment. Remember that Homelander is also a Vought man, so he wants to get them the defense contracts, which was more probable to happen if it was shown that they could handle a crisis, instead of loving it up.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

So they actually went out of their way to make the only black character be a murderous drug addict who radicalizes a white guy into becoming a terrorist by killing his girlfriend. OK when you put it like that it's actually super cool and woke that A-Train is black.

Atrain always murders Robin and thus always "radicalizes" Hughie or whatever you mean.

He starts using V as an adult (in case you missed it, all the supes got pumped full of V as babies to develop their powers) 'cause he's aging and not the Fastest Man Alive on his own, and he fears losing the status and wealth that comes with being in the Seven. He knows the compound will give him the extra edge needed to stay on top, even if it fucks him up severely.

He also murders his girlfriend cause the alternative was getting eye-lasered. All the supes fear the Homelander

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

I binged it on the weekend it came out and Homelander Jr's eyes do light up after he is told who his daddy is

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

I bet the twist with regards to the final Homelander scene is that instead of a clone (BN), he faces off against HL Jr, who is more powerful cause he has HL's powers augmented by the V they gave Becca so she could survive the pregnancy and the standard V drip given to all the babbies

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Jedit posted:

Well, the whole point is that he really doesn't "fight crime good". None of them do, and it's not something that Vought care about. It's all about the brand.

One of the better parts of BN in the comic is that he has a Noirjet kept aboard the Seven's flying base because the comic writers gave him a Noirjet and so people expect him to have one in real life. But he can't actually fly it, and every time they try to teach him how he crashes it before even getting out of the hangar. Whether or not they go with the twist, I hope they keep that.

The Noirjet scene was also included as dumb teasing to BN's secret cause he just rips the plane apart to get out and walks away from the wreckage completely unphased after also killing his instructor.

BN would've looked even better in the amazon series if he looked more like comic BN, by covering the actor in Vantablack coated spandex or something like that

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So the whole time I thought that Vought was secretly turning babies into supes by disguising their magic drug as a polio vaccine stocked in hospitals nationwide. But then it turns out that the parents of supes all know about this and none of them have come forward about the true nature of superpowers because ???. Am I missing something or was this really dumb?

Vought probably bought the parent's cooperation and silence with cash and promises of being Homelander #2's mom/dad

And it's also pretty dumb, yes.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Fly Molo posted:

lmao, just lmao

Corporations are immortal nowadays. The name may change, but the assets and infrastructure just change hands. Meanwhile, the debts and the liabilities and employee pensions get shaken off like a layer of dead skin.

Hell at the end of the comic, after the "superhero uprising" Vought-American Consolidated renames itself and promptly goes into reinventing the remaining supes they have into a new team

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Maybe it's Stilwell's milk. So yeah, definitely Homelander being weird.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Starr vs Starr would probably melt the computers handling the CGI for the fight

El Padrino fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 29, 2020

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Homelander is a goon?

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

That Italian Guy posted:

The process is not always working out the same, so you could get Homelander and a random super doofus by using the same steps. One outcome is way more common than the other, of course.

In the comics at least, Homelander is Stormfront's biological son, in addition to being pumped with Compound V while a fetus, to explain why he was significantly more powerful than the rest of the supes, don't think they will go this route in the tv show, though

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Even if he actually was the friendly All-American hero he's impersonating, there'd still be The Implication, because he can do anything he wants and no one can stop him.

If I recall correctly in the comics Homelander at the beginning was the friendly All-American Hero and probably would've stayed that way cause he recognized that Vought was a gravy train and had no reason to stirr poo poo cause he had it good. This all changed due to Black Noir playing mind games with HL just so he could get the kill order he'd been told all his life was his entire reason for existing. I wonder if they switched out Homelander and Black Noir's personalities and that's why he's like he is in the Amazon series

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

jabby posted:

Homelander is the result of injecting V into a developing fetus, which is why he's the strongest and most powerful hero bar none.

In the comics, that fetus was also created using Stormfront's DNA, and that's why HL is also significantly more powerful than the rest of the supes. (except BN)

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

yook posted:

One of the interesting changes is The Boys not getting any V themselves aside from Kimiko when in the comics they had some stuff that wasn’t top end but better than average.

The V that Frenchie, Billy and Hughie take IS top end stuff, a strain of V that Vogelbaum (the creator of the stuff in the comics) made at Mallory's request, which only increases strength and durability by a factor of 50 with no side effects. It was also made to be prohibitely expensive to prevent the US government to just create super soldiers on their own.

MM is technically a born supe but I'm glad they kept that story in the comics.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Of all the dumb bullshit in the comics, the decision to make The Boys physically superior to 99% of all supers is the most absolutely insane one, even beyond the normal Ennis grossout stuff. It completely and totally undercuts all tension in every single fight or confrontation that doesn't involve Homelander for the entire comics run. It's loving bizarre.

I'm pretty sure that's why they decided to remove that part of the story, so the Boys have to get creative when engaging with the supes, and the show is all the better for it.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

hopefully next season someone will have sploosh powers

That's Deep, and its only active when he is in the company of aquatic mammals.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

They put my boy Vas in YESSS

E: added spoiler tags

El Padrino fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 25, 2020

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Just because there's a swastika in your wedding photo doesn't mean you're a nazi. Furthermore

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

If you read the thread

We all are, we are just skimming over your posts cause either you're trolling or your inability to comprehend things being shouted at you from a TV is so dense it can be carved with a knife.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Found it funny that on that newscast scene with Storefront's Nazi pictures, there is a little blurb that the NYPD is pinning Jeffrey Epstein's death on Stormfront.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

I think Storefront is still alive, and bringing back A-Train over Deep was Edgar's corporate gently caress You to her, as Vought no longer has to "indulge her" in Edgar's words.

Deep being so dumb the cult brainwashing didn't had any effect on him as his sole motivation for staying was the promise of going back to the Seven was a good way to end his arc this season.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Only an idiot would assume that notAOC is not working with Vought. She is a genderbent Vic the Veep, a Vought company man, smarter than him too.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Pretty sure the Department of Homelander Security are the eye lasers

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

I hope they 'resurrect' SF like in the comics, so she's too busy making GBS threads her pants to do anything

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Nobody needs television and Amazon production studios could give every single member of this project time off and unemployment. If even one person on their team gets COVID then it’s literally not worth it, IMO

Your not wagging a finger at grocery store clerks and delivery boys, your giving Hollywood the benefit of the doubt...

I think the people who chose TV production as a career need television, at the very least.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Pull up thread, pull up!

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Jet fuel can't melt lamplighter's fingerprints

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

He's a Wolverine parody so of course he'd be the worst at what he does.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Hope stormfront is the first example of V resurrection in the series.

In the comics, pure V (like the one injected into the boys that increases their strength and endurance by a factor of 50) has the "ability" of jumpstarting dead bodies. It has no way of reversing brain damage due to lack of oxygen though, so any resurrected supes are literal pants-making GBS threads morons.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah using supes as personal sex toys seems like exactly the kind of poo poo Stillwell was into, we saw her do it to Homelander for all of S1, so I would buy that.

That was more Stilwell trying to work Homelander's mommy issues for her benefit, even if that was just "maybe if I baby him a bit he won't laser my skull" since she knew how hosed in the head he is.

She lost when Homelander got her to admit that she was terrified of him, and with that she lost any value she had in Homelander's eyes.

I'm hoping that Teddy Stilwell will be HL's kid/clone, unless there was also a gap year between S1 and S2, that kid is way too big to be a 1 yo

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Robobot posted:

The hamster emits a powerful anti-super power field. Doesn't affect temp V because the Russians didn't know about it yet. It's super obvious.

I prefer this version of Jamie's reason of beingin the boys

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Soldier boy's power was the removal of super powers since before the russians, presumably he used it on Black Noir in Nicaragua and then he caught a grenade to the face before the russians kidnapped Soldier Boy, and Mallory interpreted that as 'the russians have an anti-supe gun which disabled Soldier Boy and hosed Black Noir's ability to heal/why he became mute'

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Has this been stated at all? Because that is the complete opposite of what I've gotten from this season.

I don't think it's been stated like that but Black Noir showed in S2 that he has healing abilities like Kimiko, back then speculation was that his super healing resulted in massive scar tissue like what was shown when Maeve shoved the almond joy in his mouth.

In the Nicaragua flashback he looks fine until Mallory finds him hosed up and trying to reach for his mask, so something "turned off" his healing power. First they thought it was an 'anti-supe gun' that the Boys went to Russia to find before the Soldier Boy reveal

Edit: and of course, this is just speculation on my part

El Padrino fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Just Chamber posted:

If that was his power pre Russia then everyone would know that was his power and would have spoke about it as such. They weren't looking for Solider Boy because he had this power, but because the Russians stopped him somehow. Anyway I remember in an episode recap one of the writers stated that he gained these powers after Russian experimentation so yeah, Black Noir wasn't depowered by Soldier Boy.

Oh, I see. I didn't check the x-ray so didn't know the my confirmed it was a new power. I'd have thought that was a power which Vought would've kept under wraps as their Homelander contingency, and the reason why the russians kidnapped him was to Winter Soldier him in the event Homelander was used during the cold war. I need to watch the new episode too