Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Antony Starr just gave a monster of a performance on this show, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Piell posted:

It felt ambiguous to me, that it could have been either that or just her feeling bad for having cheated with someone

If she was cheating, regardless of how guilty she felt, she would’ve taken the time to straighten herself out before she stepped into a public space. Becca running out like that means the only thing on her mind was getting out of there as fast as possible without raising any alarm.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Retrowave Joe posted:

It’s funny, you see Pine and Fassbender and I see Jason Bateman and Bradley Cooper, but I can see Pine and Fassbender too.

I saw a whole lot of Chris Evans and a little bit of Henry Cavill.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

FilthyImp posted:

She wasn't as dishevelled and shellshocked as would be expected/communicated if it were non-consensual.
It seemed more like "Oh god what the gently caress did I do jesus" kind of regret

jabby posted:

They needed some way of showing she'd just had sex though, otherwise she could've just been talking to Homelander for three hours.

This is the point I keep bringing up, but while that counter-argument is fair, I still think there are degrees between that and what we saw.

Honestly, though, I’m not entirely comfortable speculating whether or not an implied rape was actually consensual. I know she’s a fictional character and all, but scrutinizing her actions, dress, etc to determine as much feels...ickily transferrable to real life.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You guys realize “big moments scored to classic rock” is a known “thing” about Eric Kripke’s work, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATrldRAp5JY

He’s no Scorsese but he does it really well. I’m not even a fan of Supernatural. I don’t have the first clue about the context of that scene and I still get chills watching it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PostNouveau posted:

What did aziz do?

I may be forgetting some key details, but from what I remember, he went on a date with a girl, ended up taking her back to his hotel room, and assaulted her by sticking his fingers down her throat. It was some kind of hosed up attempt to be sexual, I dunno, that’s a thing people do I guess.

Look, if I’m being honest, I’m sort of on Bust Rodd’s “side” in that while Ansari was clearly lovely and any trauma his date suffered is valid, I don’t know if I’d lump him in with Polanski and Weinstein. In fact, the way the story came out was REALLY shady and unintentionally fed a counter-narrative that, looking back, might’ve helped muddy the waters of #MeToo so that the perception was less about taking down powerful, abusive figures and interrogating the amount of leeway we give perceived geniuses and more about gossip. In that light, Ansari’s non-apology makes sense and is frankly honest: He can’t actually be sorry if he still doesn’t understand, at heart, that he was wrong.

But the fact is, Ansari was wrong. And complaining that people like him don’t have a path to “redemption” misses the point of redemption: it involves recognizing your lovely behavior and making an honest effort to change for yourself, not your career. For me, it also means accepting that you’re not obligated to be forgiven for your transgressions and forging ahead anyway—this is a very personal journey. It’s not a game; there’s no magical rewarding of one’s old life when they’ve atoned “enough.” It’s a commitment that goes beyond the boundaries of one’s public image. To complain that redemption isn’t something that’s offered to someone who seems to be making penance...well, it’s like complaining about a drought because your local farmer’s been working so hard. The Gods don’t give a gently caress.

To bring it back to the show, that’s where The Deep is right now. He’s an entitled, earnest gently caress-up who is incapable of understanding the depth of his shittiness and thus can’t square his actions with where he ended up, which ultimately led to his head-shaving breakdown. Now we don’t know if Ansari can actually, privately admit to himself that he was wrong. We can guess, and how you guess would certainly inform how you feel about him today. But we can see that The Deep doesn’t feel that way at all—even after his own sexual assault—and his reward for that is a fate, at least at the end of the first season, that faintly recalls where Ennis left Stillwell in the comics—losing his hair because he sees that his life has amounted to nothing. Now this may lead to some sort of redemptive arc for him; I don’t know the future. But I’m not seeing a man reach rock bottom in that scene, readying himself to climb back up. I’m seeing a man who THINKS he’s hit rock bottom because the would-be dolphin fucker does not get it, and has resigned himself to eternal failure without ever really understanding why.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 22, 2019

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rhyno posted:

Now I remember how good of a show Life was again.

Jerk.

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TOUCH DEATH"

Crews holding the Incan Death Flag has been my phone's wallpaper for at least five years. Of course the flag's cut off, but it still looks loving awesome.

To go slightly back on topic, Hood would win any fight between him and Crews but Crews would smoothly talk him down before he did any real damage.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bust Rodd posted:

That sounds incredibly boring both to watch and write for.

The number one thing said by anyone who lacks imagination.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Casting news! Goran Visnjic and Claudia Doumit, stars of Eric Kripke’s last show Timeless, are set to recur in Season 2.

TV Line posted:

On The Boys, Visnjic will take on the role of Alistair Adana, the charismatic and shadowy leader of a mysterious church. Doumit, meanwhile, will play wunderkind congresswoman Victoria Neuman. [Malcolm] Barrett [who also starred in Timeless] is also confirmed to return for the second season, so fingers crossed for a Rufus/Jiya scene!

Visnjic appears to be playing a new character, while Doumit is running another genderbent take on one of Ennis’ original cast members—but of course, if that finale demonstrated anything, it’s that all bets are off as far as what that means.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's interesting to note that Butcher calls Homelander a saint with no vices when first talking with Hughie. Kinda weird he didn't bring up his wife.

Huh. That IS interesting. I’ll have to keep that in mind during my rewatch.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Diogines posted:

I am very much trying to avoid spoilers, but I just saw season and I loved it, I have two questions:

1. Does the show follow the comics, if not perfectly, then close, are they generally the same story?
2. Are the comics finished?

2.) The comics are finished, and
1.) The ending of season 1 is already such a HUGE swerve from the comics; Stilwell was pretty much the big bad (and she was a guy). By all means, continue trying to avoid comics spoilers since there’s plenty of material they could still use, but don’t be too broken up if something gets blown for you.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
That trailer is some punk rock poo poo and I love it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Reminder: The Mandalorian released week-to-week and Baby Yoda owned Twitter for nearly that entire ten week window.

The Boys S1 dropped all at once and social was mostly over it after a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's unfair to compare something to anything Star Wars. People are still writing novel length reviews about the Empire Strikes Back. Compare it to something with less of a built in crazy fanbase that released on a staggered schedule, like Love Is Blind.

True, but I’m not talking art, I’m talking capitalism. After the success of The Mandalorian, it was only a matter of time before a streaming service (that isn’t Hulu) took one of their ultra-popular shows and experimented with a drip feed to try and stretch out the real estate it occupies in people’s minds.