Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
a couple good warren criticism posts from the primary thread/succ zone:
(note: will keep editing them in as i find them, then delete this part that says note)

joepinetree posted:

The other thing that I don't think gets much play with regards to Warren is that by all indications she is a careerist. There's a bunch of things that people tend to focus on in isolation, and will generally get dismissed as a goof, but to me clearly indicates that her morals are very flexible when it comes to something that can advance her career. To list a few:

- The whole Native American thing and academia hiring
- leaving the republican party within 12 months of moving to MA
- Stayed neutral and then endorsed Clinton in 2016 a few hours after Obama did, in the process stating that she was ready to be vice president if called upon.
- Once she entered politics, she was full throated in support of Israel, going as far as defending the bombing of hospitals, but once she decided to run for president she went suspiciously unspecific on Israel
- Voted for all military budget increases as a member of the Armed Services committee, up until 2017. 2018 she suddenly grew a spine and voted against it, but didn't explain what was different this time.
- Was strongly in support of school vouchers and tying school funding to standardized tests, up until a pivot this month at the NEA conference

In other words, outside of bank regulation, she has a very long history of taking the position that is the best strategic move for her career. Sure, one or two of these can be dismissed as she being misled or as a coincidence, but all of these make a pattern. Especially when running against the guy who was saying the same thing even when it was unpopular.

joepinetree posted:

But my point wasn't that Warren has terrible policies, though she does. My point was about all the strategic conversions just as the moment that it is most advantageous to her.

The one thing I left out was campaign funding. In 2018 she was all about big donors (only 55% of her senate campaign funds came from small donors, compared to 75% for Bernie). Her main fundraiser is a big money in politics guy. But in her primary campaign she is all about decrying big donors, big fundraisers. Another conversion that very conveniently lines up with her facing Bernie. And a conversion she has already said won't stick for the main event.

loquacius posted:

1) Black people don't like her (anyone who dislikes Bernie will probably accept this as an intrinsic fault of the candidate)
2) Her "plans" are literally just Bernie's plans from 2016, compromised in some way that involves a lot of numbers, which college-educated white people perceive as good because numbers are smart, but which is, get this, in actuality bad
3) Donald Trump will eat her alive
4) Everybody's over the genetic-testing thing by now but it's a great example of how Donald Trump will eat her alive
5) She is at the end of the day a Harvard professor and presents herself as the platonic ideal of "teacher" which won't play in a general election as well as it does with college-educated white Dem primary voters

Most importantly to me, though, she's a Party Loyalist with a bunch of wonky ideas. That's strictly better than a party loyalist without any new ideas (Biden, Pete, Beto, Harris) but if the American left wants to win in the 21st century it has to realign itself to embrace a class-based politics, and ensure that it's on the right side of it rather than ceding it to the loving fascists, and you won't get that with someone who's not willing to take on Party orthodoxy. Bernie will do that. Warren won't.

Once again, anyone who likes Warren and dislikes Bernie will probably admit this, because let's be honest, it's the main reason a lot of them like her. They don't want to challenge Party orthodoxy, because that would necessarily involve a tacit admission that the Democratic Party is wrong about something which doesn't compute for them. But if you want to change the way the Party works, you have to stand up against it. That's just a fact.

gradenko_2000 posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://npeaction.org/elizabeth-warren/

quote:

Testing – F

During the U.S. Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee Hearing Fixing No Child Left Behind: Testing and Accountability, Senator Warren’s comments indicated that she views high-stakes standardized tests as the measure that must be used to hold States accountable for the federal tax dollars they receive.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Elizabeth Warren's 'big money' rejection doesn't apply to general: 'We've got to be willing to win'

quote:

“Republicans come to the table armed to the teeth,” Mrs. Warren said on MSNBC Monday night. “They’ve got their wealthy, wealthy donors, they’ve got their super PACs, they’ve got their dark money, they’ve got everything going for them.

“And I’m just going to be blunt: I do not believe in unilateral disarmament. We’ve got to go into these fights and we’ve got to be willing to win these fights,” she said.

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 07:02 on Jul 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

galenanorth posted:

Here is a timeline:

May 5, 2016: "Bernie Sanders's accusation that Clinton is running a "money laundering scheme," explained" -- Vox

This was likely the very last major primary attack by Sen. Sanders on Sen. Clinton. At this point, there were plenty of attacks from the DNC/Clinton camp in the opposite direction. On the same day,

June 6, 2016: The Associated Press announces that Clinton has enough delegates left to win, though there are still a month's worth of primaries remaining. The spokesman for the Sanders campaign says that they will focus on convincing superdelegates. LA Times)

July 12, 2016: Bernie Sanders endorses Hillary Clinton at a joint rally in a Portsmouth, New Hampshire high school gymnasium. (CNN)

September 5, 2016: Bernie Sanders holds his first solo campaign event for Hillary Clinton in Lebanon, New Hampshire. (ABC News)

September 5, 2016: "Bernie Sanders is finally campaigning for Hillary Clinton. But does she even need him?" -- Washington Post

Amber Phillips writes that he has only given two speeches in support of Clinton at this point, not in a swing state, and refers to them as papered-over versions of his own stump speech.

September 30, 2016: "Bernie Sanders to step up campaign schedule for Hillary Clinton" -- USA Today

October 8, 2016: "Bernie Sanders Packs Schedule With Campaign Stops for Hillary Clinton" --Wall Street Journal

November 2, 2016: "Bernie Sanders Abandons Clinton in Final Week" -- Observer, which endorsed Trump in 2016.

Frankly, I do not trust any politician to do the right thing without being constantly pushed by voters, in much the same way there is a feeling of apprehension during every scene of Lord of the Rings where Frodo puts on the One Ring to hide from ringwraiths. Though I disagree with the premise, I included this article to reflect the variety of articles on the topic.

November 4, 2016: "Bernie Sanders’s Hard Fight for Hillary Clinton" --New Yorker

In Raleigh, North Carolina,

For more articles, see the Google results for "bernie campaigns for clinton" restricted to April-November 2016.

----

For years afterward,

September 5, 2017: "Leaked excerpts from Hillary Clinton's book show she's mad at Bernie Sanders" -- Vox

February 4, 2019: "Ex-Clinton staffers slam Sanders over private jet flights" -- Politico
regarding the usage of such transportation to arrive at rallies in different swing states on consecutive days in October

August 14, 2019:

https://twitter.com/KeyDecision1/status/1161498610976079873

meta note: will check back another day and, if galenanorth adds more, update this post

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
"How do I attack the argument that no means testing on cancelling the student debt is a Bernie giveaway to the rich and white?"

joepinetree posted:

He's not gonna read it, but this paper evaluates both the Warren proposal and the Bernie proposal, and the Bernie proposal reduces the racial wealth gap more.

https://phenomenalworld.org/content...nal_7-19-19.pdf

There are many more Black college graduates with over 50k in debt than White ones.

Key passage:

quote:

The difference between the household wealth distributions in the bottom ventile (centiles 1-20) in the Sanders versus the Warren scenarios indicates why itis that the Warren proposal doesn’t quite match the reductions in racial wealth inequality in the Sanders proposal: because it leaves debt over $50,000 intact, and there are relatively poor households with more than that much student debt. The fact that that gap is larger for black households than for white households (again, comparing the distribution lines forthe Sanders and Warren plans) indicates that there are relatively more such highly-indebted,poor black households than there are such highly-indebted, poor white households. There’s almost no difference between the Sanders and Warren plans above the 20th centile.

I.e., there are far more poor Black households with more than 50k in debt that benefit more from Bernie's plan than there are wealthy households that benefit from his lack of means testing.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
more adolph reed:
https://nonsite.org/author/adolph-reed

obama sux material:
http://bostonreview.net/politics/eric-rauchway-obamas-original-sin
https://newrepublic.com/article/140245/obamas-lost-army-inside-fall-grassroots-machine

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 06:18 on Nov 28, 2019

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

shame on an IGA posted:

Just realized it's the anniversary of my first donation to Bernie 2020, when I was surprised by the "why?" ask box on the receipt page, then channeled every ounce of righteous indignation in my body and posted like I had never posted before.

quote:

My mother was born in the coal country of Fayette Co. WV in 1963.

She watched her father die when she was six years old. Our MeeMaw raised four children alone on her wages from the Sears shoe department in the most impoverished region in America. They didn't have running water until the 1970's.

Mom always wanted to be a writer. When she graduated from Mount Hope High School in 1983 she scraped together what she had saved from her after school job at Liggett's department store and started looking for a college she could afford. Massilon Baptist College of Ohio was the only option within her reach.

It was a trap. After an education much heavier on misogynistic evangelical theology and light on workplace skills, she found herself with a controlling husband and two sons, rootless and living in the Carolinas blocks from his family and far, far from hers.

We were evicted from our first home there because she wouldn't sleep with the millionaire business owner landlord. The second, where we stayed for nine years, was an uninsulated shack 20 minutes from the nearest town. Mom worked as a carhop at Sonic for a few years, then at Dollar General, eventually making her way to the store manager position she would hold for nearly 20 years. Dad spent this time as an on again off again truck driver, usually spending on the road as much as he made. The times he was on long hauls were the best of my childhood and we all secretly hoped he wouldn't come back.

In 1999, during a brief window of relative stability, my parents bought a patch of land on the other side of town and a doublewide trailer that they had no idea how to negotiate for with a loan no sane person would ever have approved were their own money at risk. Namely, $145,000 at 12% APR variable. This, when interest rates were the lowest they had ever been in US history.

Dollar General was the target of repeated venture capital takeovers. Suddenly, Mom was the only "Exempt Salaried Employee" in the store, filling every gap in the schedule left by an ever shrinking payroll with her own unpaid hours. She was pulling 10 to 15 hour shifts unloading trucks and manning registers for the equivalent of $9/hr. Her bad home life and nonexistent social life having stripped her of the confidence to believe anything better than this was possible for her, Ma soldiered on.

She was fired without notice in 2012 because her time-in-position raises had made her more expensive than a new hire, lost her house, took an assistant manager position at another discount store chain and was then diagnosed with terminal breast cancer after she had been there for two months, not yet eligible for company insurance or FMLA.

Three months after she died, I recieved a letter from the CFPB addressed to her, finding that her mortgage servicer had acted improperly by refusing to adjust the terms of her loan and containing a settlement check for $21.00.

My mother was grist for the wheels of capitalism's worst excesses every single day of her life and I will give the full measure of my time, treasure, and blood to build an America where no one is treated like that.

Today was her birthday.

That's why.

One year and three pairs of shoes later we are going to win and we are going to build the country she deserved to live in.