Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

https://twitter.com/Remnant_Game/status/1138159481303556097

Remnant: From the Ashes
Q: Is this just Dark Souls with guns?
A: Probably, I haven't actually played Dark Souls!

Platforms:
PC, Xbone, PS4

Release Date
August 20, 2019 - Preorders now!

What the hell is this game?

Remnant is a 3rd person Co-Op (Up to 3 players, or singleplayer) shooter / RPG / souls-like set in a post apocalyptic world. A force known as "The Root" has taken over Earth sometime in the 1960's. You will go around 4 worlds (including Earth) to fight the root, collect new cash + prizes, take down boss monsters, and build up your character. All the zones are dynamically generated, so no two playthroughs will be exactly alike. You will have to manage both your health and stamina in combat to be effective, and the enemies are fairly punishing. (Perhaps not quite as much as souls)

This video does a much better job explaining this game than I will do ITT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4EvxJaZARk

This is another good video recently released which walks through a lot of the mechanics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQIBtDJMwZs

Archetypes

Remnant has 3 archetypes to pick from, the devs have stated that your choice of archetype doesn't force you necessarily into any playstyle. The differences are primarily cosmetic and starting equipment, however some may be better suited to certain playstyles, especially right out of the gate. The full skill tree isn't known 100% yet - but they generally follow the following patterns:

Scrapper (Melee)
Ex-Cultist (Support)
Hunter (Ranged)

Loot

Remnant has three weapon slots, a melee, a handgun, and a long gun. You also get 6 equipment slots: Head, torso, feet, rings (2), and neck. Loot is randomized, however don't expect the pinata's of Diablo III or Borderlands - most of the loot you find will be scrap which serves as the game currency of sort. You will also be looting gun mods which serve as the primary element of your character build. (more on this later) You will also find components to craft some sick rear end guns!

Dynamic Generation

The world of Remnant is dynamically generated. This includes the level layout, the loot, the enemies, and the bosses for each world. Think Diablo or Warframe. You won't know what world boss you are going to get on a play through - nor can you anticipate what kind of minibosses might be in your way or what modifiers they may come with. This will keep the game feeling fresh, as you will certainly be returning to worlds for specific components and other loot.

As an example, your world may spawn with an event which unlocks a trait. You may not find this trait useful, but your friend who has obsessively built his Scrapper around hitting people with a radiator hammer needs it badly - he can drop in to your world, do the event with you, and walk away with the trait that never showed in his world.

Gun mods

Gun mods can be found throughout the world and slotted in any weapon with an open slot. Some special weapons will have a mod baked into the slot by default. As the weapon deals damage, the mod will "charge" and then be available for use, some can hold more than one charge.

Mods serve as "spells" essentially and have a wide array of effects such as an AoE heal, summoning of an undead Jigglypuff, growing thorns on your body, damage absorbing shields, teleporting ahead of you, or summoning a tentacle from the ground to slap your enemies. It will be important to decide when / where to execute the fully charged mods. Mixing these mods with your traits defines your character's build and your role within the group.

For example: You slot your shotgun with a mod which gives you thorns, causing melee attackers to take damage. You unload you shotty until the mod is ready, then you turn on your thorns. You whip out your radiator hammer and go to town!

There will be traits focused on increasing the rate at which the mods charge, as well as (potentially) how powerful they are or how long they last.

Co-Op and Singleplayer
Here are some straight up facts:
  • Up to 3 player Co-op.
  • You can play the game completely offline.
  • They have stated that they don't give a poo poo if you want to mod/hack your singleplayer character - but they will have mechanisms in place to ensure you're not running around other people's games like Superman.
  • Thanks to the dynamic generation, your character's world will be different than your friend's world. You might run across "big Rhom fucker 7" in your world where your friend did not, and your friend really needs a "big Rhom fucker 7's rear end in a top hat" to craft his new shotgun. In this case, your friend could just drop into your world and you take him down together.
  • Everyone gets the same loot.
  • There is friendly fire.

Traits

Every character gains access to traits points as they level up. Traits unlock by performing feats and discovering secrets as you play through the game. For example, you might get a world which has a bandit boss. Entering his arena in a certain way and choosing alternate dialog options will trigger a fight to the death between you and a friend. Whoever wins get's a trait for bonus back damage!

Melee, iFrames, Stamina and YOU!
    Melee
    Melee combat in Remnant follows an "A B C" pattern - meaning your weapon will swing in a preset rhythm when you press the attack button in succession. In Remnant, you must be aiming your gun down sights to shoot - so when you press the attack button without ADS you will automatically switch to melee. This gives melee combat a smooth feel when you transition to and from range.

When you lightly tap the melee button, you will perform a fast attack, when you hold it down you will perform a heavy attack (still following the ABC pattern). You can also charge (hold) a melee attack and wait for the enemy to come to you - or charge them with a maniacal sprint attack. Stringing together the appropriate combo will be critical to ensuring your radiator maul connects to the enemy skull the way you want it to.

A directionless dodge will give you a chance to short circuit the ABC rhythm and jump directly to "C" for a stunning riposte which will impress all your friends.

Stamina and iFrames
    Stamina management in Remnant will be important, even if you don't go for any melee combat. Any roll, dodge, or sprint will consume stamina. Dodging is extremely important as it gives you iFrames - which is short for "invulnerability frames." During the dodge you will take 0 damage, so it's important to time the dodge correctly.

Mashing dodge in a direction will roll your character out of harms way for a few glorious iFrames. If you don't hit a direction, you will hop backward just a bit and set your melee to "C" as noted above.

How heavy your armor is will influence your dodging and iFrames. There appears to be 4 tiers of dodging based on the the armor weight you have on ranging from "graceful Legolas like ground roll" to "stumble awkwardly because I am dressed with spare tires and rebar" and "literally bellyflop because I am wearing heavy construction equipment.

Worlds
The lore and worlds of Remnant can be discovered and learned as you play through the game. (or completely ignored, as many players elect to do to disservice themselves) The root came to destroy earth in / around the late 60's. The game takes place roughly 80 years later. Rhom was also invaded by the root, but it appears the denizens of that planet successfully expunged the root though some means. (nuclear hellfire) Yaesha *appears* to be unaffected.
    Ward 13
    The base of operations and launch point. Crafting, shopping, and world traveling happens here.

Earth
    Good old Earth - except the root came in around 1962 and now everything is hosed as a football bat. Have fun!

Rhom
    Desert planet complete with floating skulls, radioactive beehive monsters, burned out cities, you name it!

Yaesha
    Full of angry goatmonkeys who want to kill you. Excellent scenery.

Corsus
    "Hive minds have failed every time they have been tried" - a concerned citizen

Bosses

Bosses come in two flavors: Dungeon Bosses and World Bosses. Dungeon bosses are minibosses you randomly encounter in the worlds. They may be event triggered or show up randomly. Each will come with random modifiers like "extra big rear end in a top hat." World bosses are the big baddies at the end of the world, and you won't know which one you're going to get from the available pool. Again, both are dynamically generated, so you never know where, when, or what boss is about to be thrown at your face. Every boss drops a unique item for crafting - and some have secret ways to murder them which give different, hidden items!

Someone did an infographic better than my entire op. (Credit to Matt Needler, @FireDragon04)

Regrettable posted:

Here's a link to the F13 Discord where we already have channels set up for Remnant: https://discordapp.com/invite/Jtjv9Vy

Might want to put that in the OP.

e: Also, let one of the mods know if you need to be tagged for a specific role as it makes it easier to find people for games without pinging the entire server.

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Excellent OP. To me the gameplay videos look more akin to The Division but with demons than Dark Souls but I also did not play Dark Souls.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Regrettable posted:

Excellent OP. To me the gameplay videos look more akin to The Division but with demons than Dark Souls but I also did not play Dark Souls.

So Hellgate, but good?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
So I gleaned some more info on the traits and how to unlock them. I was concerned that it would be a "reload your shotgun 100000 times" type thing - but a dev stream informed me better.

In the one they showed, the map had several totems / shrines throughout the level. This was dynamically generated and wouldn't necessarily be there on any given playthrough. If you destroyed the shrine, it would call up a challenging miniboss monster (who looked to be a big rear end in a top hat) to fight you. If you destroyed all the shrines and killed the miniboss (who ducks out and reappears at the next one) then you unlock the skill.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Vakal posted:

So Hellgate, but good?

Maybe? I never played Hellgate either. Also, this doesn't seem to be cover focused like the Division, at least from the videos I've seen, so I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me on that.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Vakal posted:

So Hellgate, but good?

Warframe, with less designers on acid. :thunk:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had no idea this existed but it has the potential to be really, really cool. I hope they nail the shooting mechanics and gamefeel, and the loot/progression system is compelling.

E: I watched some videos and this looks to be extremely my poo poo.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 28, 2019

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
This game looks good. I can't wait to fat roll around and shoot monsters.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Updated info on Melee, iFrames, Dodging, reformatted some, and pre-ordered the game for myself.

Hoping to get some more info soon - devs said they would be streaming in the coming weeks leading to launch. I would love to see a weapon / mod list or a list of unlockable traits.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQc2YssS89Q

Another dev video dropped with gameplay discussion and showcase

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I'm such a filthy whore for these games. I still play WWZ and Strange Brigade and this just looks like it's going to be extremely my type of game. Thanks for the updates.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really wish games like this had crossplay. Looks interesting. I usually skip (or don't get) YT commercials, but this one popped up and I watched it all the way through. Looks interesting. Character archetypes look kind of bland, but that cowboy dude looks pretty alright.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Why only 3 player co-op?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Crabtree posted:

Why only 3 player co-op?

IIRC they mentioned on a developer stream that they internally tested 4 player and it didn't work in terms of gameplay / pacing/ "feel" and that the three player model was the best fit for what they have.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Sounds like bullshit, but I guess Remnant can prove those words when people play it.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXIZyOlR8s8&t=24s

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Sure, but I don't know if it'll "feel better" with up to three players - on top of it being a little awkard to have only 2 friends to play with at a time. But I'll give the game a chance to prove it when I play.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Sounds like bullshit, but I guess Remnant can prove those words when people play it.

The more players you have on a team the more difficult the game is to balance when each character can have different abilities. It's the reason there are only three to a team in Apex Legends as well. Basically, the more people you add to a team the more likely you are to get combinations that can steam roll everything and the harder it is to stop that from happening.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Crabtree posted:

Sure, but I don't know if it'll "feel better" with up to three players - on top of it being a little awkard to have only 2 friends to play with at a time. But I'll give the game a chance to prove it when I play.

Take a look at this privileged goon over here with more than 0 friends

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
New trailer for their swamp world:
https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1158774758563037186

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

The devs did a livestream reveal of the swamp area and a bunch of other stuff earlier today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzSFF-kCtvg

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

this games good

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Regrettable posted:

The devs did a livestream reveal of the swamp area and a bunch of other stuff earlier today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzSFF-kCtvg

Community Manager with more hours logged playing than anyone else: "Heh, yeah I've played this game a bit!" *dodges attack while smirking*

(15 seconds later:)

*Dies*

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Regrettable posted:

Loving this guy's enthusiasm for the game, he clearly loves playing it and it really shows through in the stream. Game is looking better and better the more I see of it, can't wait for release.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Gamespot did a preview of the first 15 minutes (tutorial) which is likely the worst parts of the game heavy on story which not a lot of people are going to care about.

This recent stream is better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvU0SmkjyoY

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
From what I gather people who pre-ordered are going to get early access this weekend. :pcgaming:

(This is also a 200iq move to test your servers with the most loyal fanbase who is most likely to be understanding with respect to any technical issues at launch)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I never preorder games but I am so tempted with this one. I probably will - obviously it's hard to say how much longevity and content the final release will have, but the gameplay looks on point and if it's just a fun 8-12 hour romp I'm cool with that tbh at this price point.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Bardeh posted:

I never preorder games but I am so tempted with this one. I probably will - obviously it's hard to say how much longevity and content the final release will have, but the gameplay looks on point and if it's just a fun 8-12 hour romp I'm cool with that tbh at this price point.

Given that:
  • You won't get every boss or event on a single playthrough
  • You will want to check out your friend's worlds
  • You will likely make a couple different characters / archetypes
  • There are three difficulty settings
I think it will have a decent amount of replay value. They've also stated that they will be looking at free and paid DLC depending on how well it does.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Someone on the subreddit for the game made this cool thing so I thought I'd share it here.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Bardeh posted:

Someone on the subreddit for the game made this cool thing so I thought I'd share it here.

I saw that yesterday and added it to the OP. It's well done!
:thumbsup:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there any info on exactly when the early access period for pre-orders will begin? I've searched around, but all I can find is 'the weekend.'

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

This game doesn't look half bad. If they can nail it, this could be pretty fun!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Bardeh posted:

Is there any info on exactly when the early access period for pre-orders will begin? I've searched around, but all I can find is 'the weekend.'

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1160899059122614272

"Starting Friday" although what exact time is not known. (Their official twitter RT'ed this, so I take the info as legit)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's a new video of some of the devs attempting a boss fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB2qaTV6R8o

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Surprised at the general lack of hype for this one. It actually looks pretty decent. In some respects, it's got the visual flair that I wanted (and got) from Hunt but with a gameplay loop that is way, way more up my alley.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Bardeh posted:

Thursday night presumably

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Trying to decide if Scrapper is the smart (yet obvious) pick if I want to do a lot of shotgun / melee stuff or if I would get more value from ex-Cultist's healing mod since I'm going to be getting torn up a lot.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I doubt the choice matters a ton beyond the first hour or two.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Just going for aesthetics then!

*Puts on cultist hat + trench coat*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cFac3bLz0k&t=771s

Latest video, update on the PS4 issues (on SONY, he claims) and the other platforms plus some more gameplay.

Pre-order launch time is 0000 Friday EST or 2100 Thursday PST

e: Holy poo poo nightmare difficulty looks insane

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 14, 2019