Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Vasler posted:

You're right! I got the gear!

What's another good primary weapon? I'm having a tough time finding something more useful than my hunter's rifle. I have things like the assault rifle, sniper rifle, a devastator, an energy rifle (really low base damage on this) and ruin.

Are any of these worth investing in?

Virtually all weapons are good for all content.
Like, I used the basic long rifle for everything and used the multi-hit bug axe and had no issues.

It's not like other games. New weapons are sidegrades, not upgrades to start new investments in.

Because you'll be replaying stuff so often, try out everything you get and invest in what feels good.

You'll never permanently run out of resources. You'll have SO much basic iron that you can upgrade everything to mid-tier very easily and decide on further investment after trying them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Vasler posted:

What's another good primary weapon? I'm having a tough time finding something more useful than my hunter's rifle. I have things like the assault rifle, sniper rifle, a devastator, an energy rifle (really low base damage on this) and ruin.

I tried a fair number of other weapons and the hunting rifle was really hard to beat. I think the beam rifle worked a bit better for me overall, but it was definitely a tradeoff and not a clear upgrade - it takes a while to build up to its full damage so it's rough when you need to do a lot of dodging or hit-and-run shooting.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
An important tip for the new players:

On your character/gear panel there should be a key/button for more "details"

Enable that. The look for a dash, red down arrows or green up arrows (sorry it's been a bit memory faded)

The grey dash means your gear is even with the zone you are currently in, (don't check this in the hub) green is over level and red means you'll have a hard time.

Also, if you over level everything you'll make multiplayer enemies harder if you're helping a lower level buddy, but there's a max cap of +3 I think.

I like using a melee lifeleech build with scrapper set, shotgun and hunting pistol so starter gear is still late game viable for sure.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 26, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The hunting rifle is very good for exploring - it's got an excellent balance of damage, rate of fire, range, and accuracy. Its glacial reload time means it's less useful against bosses, though. The crossbow is the ultimate weapon for fighting bosses - it's got superb DPS thanks to its high damage, high critical chance, and fast reload, and has enough range and accuracy that you'll always be applying all that damage wherever you want it. Breath of the Desert and Beckon are my two favourite mods - BOTD does impressive damage against both hard targets and hordes with a very fast cooldown, and Beckon does respectable sustained, automatic damage at all ranges in all terrain - flying minions are really nice.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think I've stumbled on something in a co-op playthrough with my brother. Beam Rifle + Unstable Quills mod, Osseous set gives you a pretty good chunk of damage.

Also, does increasing the fire rate of the beam rifle work like I think it does to ramp up the damage faster? And how long does it take for the beam rifle to hit max damage?

Also, Ixillis is tough solo, but a complete nightmare in multiplayer. I think it was even worse because I beat it solo, so I thought I knew how it worked, but the fight has completely different rules in multiplayer. Like the wisp things showing up on both sides of the bridge, both bugs using attacks instead of 1 only shooting lasers, everything does more damage. Its brutal

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Moose posted:

I think I've stumbled on something in a co-op playthrough with my brother. Beam Rifle + Unstable Quills mod, Osseous set gives you a pretty good chunk of damage.

Also, does increasing the fire rate of the beam rifle work like I think it does to ramp up the damage faster? And how long does it take for the beam rifle to hit max damage?

Also, Ixillis is tough solo, but a complete nightmare in multiplayer. I think it was even worse because I beat it solo, so I thought I knew how it worked, but the fight has completely different rules in multiplayer. Like the wisp things showing up on both sides of the bridge, both bugs using attacks instead of 1 only shooting lasers, everything does more damage. Its brutal

On the other hand, Veil of the Black Tear becomes even better in multiplayer. All three of you being able to completely ignore the add phase lets you bring an impressive amount of firepower to bear. Consider equipping it any time you find yourself facing down a projectile-heavy boss with teammates.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vasler posted:

the game is pretty carefully balanced so every weapon’s DPS is in the same ballpark, so even with no build around your weapon, you’ll never have garbage as long as it’s upgraded. so really pick whatever feels best to you. do however make sure you have an upgraded weapon in each slot that can accept any weapon mod instead of only using boss weapons, because while the boss weapon mods can be great (sporebloom!) you really benefit from the flexibility to swap in specific mods to counter a boss that’s giving you trouble.

In general two weapon-specific builds emerge later on: rapidfire weapons with osseous or radiant armor, and single-shot weapons with slayer armor. this makes weapons like the hunting rifle less valuable as they don’t fit into either niche, but that’s only if you’re using those specific builds.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Personally, I favour the Ex-Cultist Set - it looks cool, and there are very few builds out there that wouldn't benefit from faster mod power generation.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Those are not the only two builds now just to be clear. There's a couple of melee sets (fat FLOP + punch build best build), a caster set or two along with a summoner build. The devs have done a bang up job making sure no particular ring, amulet or armor set are the end all be all while also raising up lesser used things to parity. Sometimes the stuff they change ends up being busted af in some way and you can have a silly time with it.

To be clear, the real build changers/makers are the rings and amulets you can find, as well as a few hidden traits. Some of the fun of the game is figuring out the weird poo poo you need to do to get those traits, rings or amulets! However if you run into these puzzles and really can't be arsed, no one will blame you for looking it up on the internet. Some of this poo poo is obtuse af.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Darth Walrus posted:

The hunting rifle is very good for exploring - it's got an excellent balance of damage, rate of fire, range, and accuracy. Its glacial reload time means it's less useful against bosses, though. The crossbow is the ultimate weapon for fighting bosses - it's got superb DPS thanks to its high damage, high critical chance, and fast reload, and has enough range and accuracy that you'll always be applying all that damage wherever you want it. Breath of the Desert and Beckon are my two favourite mods - BOTD does impressive damage against both hard targets and hordes with a very fast cooldown, and Beckon does respectable sustained, automatic damage at all ranges in all terrain - flying minions are really nice.

Hunting rifle kicks rear end because it's got huge stagger damage and it'll stun lock mooks letting you focus on the boss

You can get the reload real manageable with some +reload speed gear

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Hunting rifle kicks rear end because it's got huge stagger damage and it'll stun lock mooks letting you focus on the boss

You can get the reload real manageable with some +reload speed gear

You certainly can do that, but then you'll have also made the crossbow even better at mowing down mooks and heaping up damage on bosses. Unless the boss in question summons particularly large waves of fast, fragile adds (and some do - looking at you, Harrow), it'll generally do all the same things better.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

With all the talking in the thread I'd figure I'd boot up to see some of the changes from the most recent patch.

My fat punch'n'flop build, they killed it. :negative:

Justifiably so, Terror Margin was busted af combined with Leto's set and Unclean One's Ring. Literally braindead facetanking you could beat the majority of bosses in the game with including the final boss of the DLC with just by punching, entirely ignoring all of their patterns patterns. It was dumb. And I'll miss it.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

With all the talking in the thread I'd figure I'd boot up to see some of the changes from the most recent patch.

My fat punch'n'flop build, they killed it. :negative:

Justifiably so, Terror Margin was busted af combined with Leto's set and Unclean One's Ring. Literally braindead facetanking you could beat the majority of bosses in the game with including the final boss of the DLC with just by punching, entirely ignoring all of their patterns patterns. It was dumb. And I'll miss it.

drat. I was just getting back into this game and that sounds incredibly goofy. Is unarmed even capable of damage, or is it proper dead?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Russian Remoulade posted:

drat. I was just getting back into this game and that sounds incredibly goofy. Is unarmed even capable of damage, or is it proper dead?

I was exaggerating for effect as the damage from the build is still 100% viable. You just can't punch things and never die while punching thanks to melee lifesteal. Like, I cannot understate how stupidly busted it was in the most braindead way. You just shoved your face into an enemy and you literally could not die no matter what. You can still 100% punch and kick things or finish it with a belly flop, but now you need to be actually aware of what you're hitting and can't just facetank everything and its mother hitting you.

I'll miss being able to turn my brain off to carry the hell out of my friends (who are casual gamers) but it is still very viable as a build.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

You certainly can do that, but then you'll have also made the crossbow even better at mowing down mooks and heaping up damage on bosses. Unless the boss in question summons particularly large waves of fast, fragile adds (and some do - looking at you, Harrow), it'll generally do all the same things better.

Let me know when you can fit 10 crossbow bolts in that crossbow and I will buy that DLC in a minute

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Let me know when you can fit 10 crossbow bolts in that crossbow and I will buy that DLC in a minute

You don't need the DLC to get the crossbow, it's in the base game. All you need to do is give the guardian heart you get from the twins to the bug queen instead of the undying king. You also get a sweet armor set to go with it, unless they changed where you got that.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

You don't need the DLC to get the crossbow, it's in the base game. All you need to do is give the guardian heart you get from the twins to the bug queen instead of the undying king. You also get a sweet armor set to go with it, unless they changed where you got that.

Yeah no the Slayer set rules with the reload damage bonus and pranking the Undying King is always worth it first run; I'm saying sometimes you need ten bullets in the magazine because mooks keep coming

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Adventure Mode is such a great idea. I figured I'd do an Earth run to get more iron and wound up with a brand new Assault Rifle. How did this game know I love assault rifles so much?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I'm enjoying just joining games with randos and palling around.

I like this game way more than I thought I would, which is fantastic! I have a pile of weapons and some neat armour sets. I really like the cultist set, that heavy set you get from the second world and the Elder set.

I just got the entire Akari set and well, I don't know about perfect dodging. I think I may have accomplished it once?

Does it actually let you move through attacks that hit you? Like I get dodge rolling because of souls games. But this neutral dodge (where your person jumps straight back without rolling) seems to get me killed a lot. Is that the right technique?

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Vasler posted:

I'm enjoying just joining games with randos and palling around.

I like this game way more than I thought I would, which is fantastic! I have a pile of weapons and some neat armour sets. I really like the cultist set, that heavy set you get from the second world and the Elder set.

I just got the entire Akari set and well, I don't know about perfect dodging. I think I may have accomplished it once?

Does it actually let you move through attacks that hit you? Like I get dodge rolling because of souls games. But this neutral dodge (where your person jumps straight back without rolling) seems to get me killed a lot. Is that the right technique?

Dodging either by rolling or the neutral dodge comes with iframes and if an attack would have gotten near your hitbox in that time it procs the perfect dodge set bonus

The easiest way to do it is to roll into an attack or projectile

You can baseball slide under projectiles too with crouch while sprinting, and that's both trickier to pull off and I don't know if it procs the bonus

Neutral dodge is good because you zip back then if you melee it speeds into the 3rd heavy hit of the combo on the first press of the button

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

And now with my assault rifle, I have an underslung grenade launcher. That's what I was missing, an AOE explosive that I can use more than once at a time. Shame I had to kill Mud Tooth's old buddy for it, but he was being a jerk to me so I don't feel so bad

Game's really good y'all.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Grimthwacker posted:

And now with my assault rifle, I have an underslung grenade launcher. That's what I was missing, an AOE explosive that I can use more than once at a time. Shame I had to kill Mud Tooth's old buddy for it, but he was being a jerk to me so I don't feel so bad

Game's really good y'all.

its actually his son, though he knows you did what you have to. But if you get the pocket watch from Mud Tooth, you can give it to Brabus to avoid fighting him. Or bring a buddy along and backstab them to get a fun trait

Game is REAL good. since I beat the base game, I just bought the DLC and rerolled my campaign on Hard, the difficulty feels alright. I've been rocking the Defiler now because between my Burden of the Follower and cultist armor, I generate mod power so fast its basically the best shotgun in the game with its mod. The primary damage feels a little weak though, I think its less than the Magnum.

What's another good mod to spam? I've tried the singularity gun, but the charge up just seems too slow. Devastator seems to do a ton of damage with its bleed. The next thing I'm gonna try is a sniper rifle with Breath of the Desert because I've heard that's good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Moose posted:

its actually his son, though he knows you did what you have to. But if you get the pocket watch from Mud Tooth, you can give it to Brabus to avoid fighting him. Or bring a buddy along and backstab them to get a fun trait

Game is REAL good. since I beat the base game, I just bought the DLC and rerolled my campaign on Hard, the difficulty feels alright. I've been rocking the Defiler now because between my Burden of the Follower and cultist armor, I generate mod power so fast its basically the best shotgun in the game with its mod. The primary damage feels a little weak though, I think its less than the Magnum.

What's another good mod to spam? I've tried the singularity gun, but the charge up just seems too slow. Devastator seems to do a ton of damage with its bleed. The next thing I'm gonna try is a sniper rifle with Breath of the Desert because I've heard that's good.

Breath of the Desert is excellent for spamming, and goes well with just about every gun. It has three charges that all fill fast, and will clear out hordes and chew through bosses very nicely. All of the Rhom mods are good for various reasons, in fact - consider Beckon on your secondary as another one that will put your lightning-fast mod recharge rate to good use by letting you pop out a couple of flying minions before returning to BOTD spam.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

A Moose posted:

Yeah, I had the watch. Still did it because unique boss = new goodies. And drat it, he was very rude.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

we finished the rat campaign, like the base game all the bosses we fought were extremely good and the highlight of the game, the new environments are very cool and the fusion gun you get at the end is rad. there are rats that literally dropkick you. a good DLC.

it seems weird that there's a number of items from the nighttime area at the start of the campaign which you won't get in a single run, but you can't generate adventures for that area, so I guess you have to just generate campaigns and run the very start of them over and over to get everything. shame it's not a full area either because it's my favorite environment

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Warden on Nightmare difficulty is some bullshit though. Trying to shoot the bells after he throws them is a pain and the adds get insane if you dont deal with them.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Hey everyone! My dad, sister and I all picked up this game while it was on sale to play together. We're going to be playing it different amounts and probably at different speeds, will it be easy for us to get together and play if we're not all at the same spot in a world and not geared up at about the same level?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I had the misfortune of fighting the Thrall on Corsus, and I'm glad I got the Assault Rifle because DPS is pretty paramount. You need to burn him down quickly, doubly so with health regen. It didn't help that the adds are some of the most obnoxious in the game, but the grenade launcher with follow up fire works pretty well. I'm probably going to have to do another Earth adventure, or a Rohm one to get more iron and finish upgrading the rest of my gear to the Forged Iron tier. I know what's coming soon, so I have to be ready.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Camel Camus posted:

Hey everyone! My dad, sister and I all picked up this game while it was on sale to play together. We're going to be playing it different amounts and probably at different speeds, will it be easy for us to get together and play if we're not all at the same spot in a world and not geared up at about the same level?

As long as none of you push into new crafting mat tiers ( the tiers are at +5, +10, +15, and +20 respectively), it's honestly not that hard to within range of each other. Even then, at most enemies will max Unless one of you happens to play super far ahead and gain a bunch of trait levels along with some of the more damage oriented traits there ultimately won't be much difference aside from some of you lacking a larger variety of gear and traits compared to the others.

Off the top of my head, I think one of you would need to kill the undying king AND beat the game to really start pulling ahead in terms of traits damage wise.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Camel Camus posted:

it wouldn't be a great experience. only the host player's campaign will progress in multiplayer, so if people play solo after starting they would have to repeat the campaign content you already did in multiplayer, and the game scales the difficulty to the highest level player so it is possible to get out of sync, although the difference between a couple levels isn't massive.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ReapersTouch posted:

Warden on Nightmare difficulty is some bullshit though. Trying to shoot the bells after he throws them is a pain and the adds get insane if you dont deal with them.

This game is total bullshit

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Thanks for the input everyone, I might suggest we make "play together" characters and "solo" characters so we don't have to stress so much about keeping pace.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Once again the Hunting Rifle is the best tool I have at my disposal for pure DPS. It was my best weapon against Xillis, and the best way to counteract the Undying King's regeneration meditation. Hell, the only way I won that last fight was because of my ability to tank damage from everything else while I plowed round after round into the King's head. Definitely one of the best weapons to use against most bosses.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Random tip; neutral dodge puts out the flames faster than directional dodge if you're on fire.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've only ever killed Undying King in multiplayer and I'm not even sure what his mechanics are, he just went down

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Man, the puzzle in Ravager's Haunt is just a pain. Especially since the game doesn't normally have puzzles like that except for Yaesha apparently. Especially since the only way to solve it is to apparently find a book. . . somewhere? I'm a pretty thorough explorer, and I never came across a book like that. I used a guide to solve the puzzle, but where would the book be?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Grimthwacker posted:

Man, the puzzle in Ravager's Haunt is just a pain. Especially since the game doesn't normally have puzzles like that except for Yaesha apparently. Especially since the only way to solve it is to apparently find a book. . . somewhere? I'm a pretty thorough explorer, and I never came across a book like that. I used a guide to solve the puzzle, but where would the book be?

The book you need to find A: doesn't spawn with the puzzle, and B: doesn't always spawn. You're meant to use a guide, and the reward is insultingly bad.

Also the guides for this game are such a pile of poo poo. Every single one is "how to do the thing: Step 1: do the thing". I've died 14 times in a row trying to do the butcher Unclean One's alt-kill on Hard and holy poo poo does that give him some moves. He gets a room-wide AoE that 1-hit kills and narrowest of windows to dodge. There's no walls to hide behind, and you have to do like 25 frame-perfect dodges in a row while shooting him. If you gently caress up and get hit once, it buffs him or something so that the next attack that comes at you will be drat near instantaneous and always hit.

Also, the floor slam hit takes about 10 seconds of wind up, but if you gently caress up and dodge early, it will trigger the attack early. Also he does it randomly anywhere between 1 and 5 times in a row

also all his attacks have pretty much the same wind-up animation, so you never know if he's going to slam the floor, or throw his axe at you.

"every hit is a 1-hit kill" is the dumbest least fun video game challenge. beating this fight takes an absolutely unreasonable amount of "gitting gud". Nothing before or after this requires such presicion and its pure bullshit. Why does this take so much effort? its literally not worth it

Edit: Finally killed him by getting him to get stuck on my Root Hollow summons so I could just shoot him in the back forever. Rot in hell you lovely Butcher knockoff

A Moose fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 13, 2020

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I've found these cryptolith things in adventure mode a few times and don't have any way to interact with them.

The wiki says I should have a cryptolith sigil that I received from the Iskal Queen after I give the guardian heart to her. I did this (in the campaign) and I don't have the sigil.

Is this something I specifically have to do in adventure mode?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Vasler posted:

I've found these cryptolith things in adventure mode a few times and don't have any way to interact with them.

The wiki says I should have a cryptolith sigil that I received from the Iskal Queen after I give the guardian heart to her. I did this (in the campaign) and I don't have the sigil.

as far as I know, the cryptoliths are part of the Swamps of Corsus dlc, and you get the sigil from killing the queen, which you can only do in Corsus Adventure mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Vasler posted:

There are 3 requirements to be able to use the Cryptoliths:

1) You need to have the Swamps of Corsus DLC
2) You need to have given the guardian heart to the Iskal Queen (In your current campaign? I'm not entirely sure if it works if you give her the heart and then reroll)
3) You need to roll the Iskall Queen bossfight in Corsus Adventure mode, she will give you the Cryptolith Sigil when you first encounter her, fighting the bossfight is actualy not required for that, though it does come with its own rewards.