Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
This question may invite heaps of scorn, but is there anything like a mod for the PC version to lower the difficulty?

My friend and I are casuals with 0 souls-like experience. We got absolutely destroyed by the first boss about 40 times in a row, and from what I have read, it only gets much, much worse.

We both really like the game world and would like to see more of it than the first dungeon.

I've seen cheat tools that make you invincible, give you infinite damage, etc. I'm wondering if there is anything that just nerfs boss damage a bit and makes it more forgiving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
The 1st boss is by far the hardest - the poppers are fast and relentless and you don't have a bunch of the tools you would later in a playthrough for a playstyle more comfortable than the starter guns / weapon mods (which are still good, just more passive buffs than active abilities)

Probably the biggest thing to adapt to in the game coming from 0 souls experience is the dodge roll comes with invulnerability frames and most of the gameplay is rolling at the correct time so attacks clip through the invulnerable frames - you can roll into an attack and it won't hit you if you time it right (and there's an armor set that gives bonuses for doing this).

You can juke the poppers this way - when they run up, they pause for a second before exploding, at which point you roll and don't get exploded.

I haven't heard of a balance mod that tweaks enemy damage downward- best I can recommend that early on is buying Scrapper starter gear which has a huge defensive bonus at close range to give more wiggle room to heal when you do get hit.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The first boss sucked and was honestly the hardest one (up until the twin moths). All I can recommend is to keep moving and don't stand still. It's a marathon not a sprint. Pepper the boss when you can but focus on taking out the adds.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

First boss is the hardest by far. After that I never felt very challenged by the game (but I was using a sniper/summoner build so I'm a baby scrub)

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Baby scrub build is sporebloom/hunting pistol/healing field. The sporebloom does so much damage it's stupid and the grenade stunlocks anything that can be stunlocked. It's incredible amounts of fun.

Just upgrade a sniper to +10 for some of the later bosses, it really helps.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

re upgrading, be sure to upgrade everything evenly. Don't allow any item to exceed the other items by much, because then scaling will screw you.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
You can grind levels up by repeating content, if you suck party with someone who doesn't.

Multiplayer/ play with goons?
I thought this was goon discord but it's the developers
https://discord.gg/2bV9nrA

The key to me sucking less is;
On your character sheet/equip turn additional/advanced info on.
Look for green/red arrows or a grey dash.

Grey dash means you are at the current upgrade level for the area you are in. Green arrow means over leveled and red arrows are under level.
This doesn't work in the hub, check per area.

Leveling equip too much ahead of your friend could make the game state too hard for them though, but you are free to use as many skill books as you want for 1% gains on resists or stamina or whatever, you can reroll skills when you beat the game the first time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Bear in mind that the first boss is random. Sounds like a lot of you got Gorefist, but I got Shroud, who presents his own challenges.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Probably the biggest thing to adapt to in the game coming from 0 souls experience is the dodge roll comes with invulnerability frames and most of the gameplay is rolling at the correct time so attacks clip through the invulnerable frames - you can roll into an attack and it won't hit you if you time it right

This is the #1 thing to hammer home if you haven’t played an action game that uses invulnerability frames before - the game expects you to use that invincible roll to avoid all kinds of things

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Glad to hear Gorefist is kind of a shitshow, cause after that as a first boss I was having some serious reservations. Playing the game on Game Pass, and I like the feel of a lot of the controls and stuff, but so far it feels like the difficulty is just coming from enemies showing up in stupid places/teleporting behind you, stunlocking you, and bullshit like that.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gorefist is pretty easy in relation to the rest of the bosses of the game, and you haven't even seen the World bosses yet. Souls-like game bosses are usually pretty pattern recognition heavy and getting used to evade timings while keeping up DPS. The good new is the game absolutely gets smoother the more Traits you acquire and leveling up your Trait level so you get to slam points into them.

It is also important to upgrade your stuff and as mentioned before to do so evenly. The way the difficulty scales is when you enter a World (or area? don't remember off the top of my head) for the first time the enemy damage and health is set to the equivalent of your highest level piece of gear. Given enough time in a World gathering crafting mats and upgrading gear you can absolutely overwhelm a boss you're having difficulty with using bigger numbers. Trait levels also have no impact on enemy difficulty so more trait levels can mean an easier time too!

Don't be afraid to ask the thread advice on weapons and mods, the game is pretty tough but fair overall.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I mean there are three posters on this page saying the first boss was one of the hardest in the game but ok?

Once I accepted that I had to keep running around in a circle the entire fight and doing the exact same dodges over and over and not deviating at all it was not insanely difficult, but it felt like opening a game with a more obnoxious version of Capra Demon from Dark Souls.

Martman fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 31, 2020

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Martman posted:

I mean there are three posters on this page saying the first boss was one of the hardest in the game but ok?

Once I accepted that I had to keep running around in a circle the entire fight and doing the exact same dodges over and over and not deviating at all it was not insanely difficult, but it felt like opening a game with a more obnoxious version of Capra Demon from Dark Souls.

While I won't speak for the others, when you said "first boss" I assumed you meant the first World boss (either ent or dragon though you'll probably get ent) who is an absolute kick in the rear end in terms of sudden difficulty spike. While there are certainly some sub-bosses I've had trouble with starting out (loving rootball boss :negative: ) Gorefist wasn't one I struggled too much with.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 31, 2020

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I wasn't that poster, but it seems like everyone is talking about Gorefist on this page? With the references to the poppers being relentless, and Darth Walrus saying they got that instead of Shroud, etc.

Either way I am definitely already feeling drawn into playing the game more, I was just really not expecting that much emphasis on enemy/add swarms in a game like this.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I should probably apologize actually, I assumed you were the friend they had mentioned. Minor spoilers but the Ent world boss also has popper adds. They are not fun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Adds are a pretty big part of the game’s boss approach, the great majority of bosses have them and they’re a big reason multiplayer is 2x easier than singleplayer

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pretty much, aside from a distraction they're also a vehicle for giving you more ammo back. The bosses that don't have adds usually have limited ammo economy unless you bring ammo boxes and tend to be faster paced.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I had a ton of difficulty with Gorefist, not because he's super hard but because he was the first boss and I wasn't into the swing of things yet.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
You're literally out of your mind if you think Gorefist is one of, or even close to, the hardest bosses in this game.

Jump Scares McGee on Corsus and the Corsus Spikeboss are both orders of magnitude harder.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

You're literally out of your mind if you think Gorefist is one of, or even close to, the hardest bosses in this game.

Jump Scares McGee on Corsus and the Corsus Spikeboss are both orders of magnitude harder.

Unless you got the Veil of the Black Tear on Rhom, in which case the You Are Literally Inside A Blender boss is much easier (and so is the world boss, for that matter).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I dunno, I think I am having constant expectations adjustment issues with this game. I'm really not understanding the emphasis on the "Soulslike"ness at all beyond really surface level stuff.

Someone joined my game for the "Defend the Root Mother" thing, cool! Except after we beat it it feels more like someone has invaded my game... I barely had a second to explore to find a Sniper Rifle, which, I dunno, did they miss it? Are they not on their first playthrough? I have absolutely no idea. Then, by following them back to base I get to watch them skip through that NPC's dialogue, which I guess skipped it for me too... Am I not supposed to be grouping with randoms on my first playthrough? Is this a "voice chat or nothing" kind of situation? It just seems extremely odd that by doing absolutely nothing on my end, I'm kinda swept into someone else's experience.

So we basically sprinted through a bunch of areas, got to Shroud, which I think is the other potential starting boss, and this feels way more like Gears of War with special abilities than anything to do with "pattern recognition" issues. It's just constant spam of enemies, the boss teleporting around, and poor visibility... we just kinda threw ourselves at it like 5 times, sometimes got almost immediately blown up, and on the clear just absolutely dominated the boss for no clear reason.

Is the multiplayer just meant more for playing with friends?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Personally I find the multiplayer is pretty much only worth it with friends. Sharing the experience is more fun with people you know than some pubbie.

Remnant is difficult but not unfairly so imo, and relies a bit much on using adds in big fights to split your attention. The minibosses, set pieces and world bosses are probably the most interesting fights with the regular enemies being less of an obstacle and more of a speed bump, with the occasional elite jumping out to gank you.

I found the game engaging enough to get past some of the bumps and the occasional wall slapping you back on your rear end a while but totally get if it ain't fun for some people.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sorry, not tryin to poo poo up the thread at all, was just disappointed that the online functionality honestly was a detriment in that case. I think I'll just have to limit my co-op to specific boss fights if I'm too frustrated by them and then cut it off right after that. Will definitely give the game at least one more solid push; I like a ton of the pieces of it, and the controls and weapons feel great.

Am I crazy to be dumping a ton/all of my trait points into the +weapon mod generation trait early on? Weapon mods seem like, extremely mega crucial and this doesn't seem to be hitting diminishing returns so it seems like it could get kinda nuts.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

You ain't making GBS threads up anything, it's good to vent frustrations with something you're stuck on in games imo. Personally I enjoyed the game solo and with friends, but it is def way easier when you have someone to split the burden of aggro with, especially vs bosses.

And no, mod power generation is one of the better traits to pump early on. Lets you pull off some silly builds much sooner. I do have bad news though, all traits cap out at level 20. Personally I recommend mod power gen (if you started cultist or found that sub dungeon on Earth) and Health as the main dumps early on with whatever traits you find that fit in with the playstyle you're enjoying. The armor trait also helps a surprisingly large amount if you find it!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Think of multiplayer as something to toggle on once you've become familiar with an area and the enemies you face. It's a way to cover previously-explored ground faster and more profitably (since all pickups are shared, which is a huge deal in an exploration-heavy game like this).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That makes sense! It did seem like we were getting a shitload of scrap and stuff, I just wish I knew what I was getting into. I think once I adjust to what the game actually is it seems like a really cool and unique combination of features.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, don't forget Adventure Mode. It creates miniature versions of a particular world, usually with one or two hub areas, two or three dungeons, and a world boss. An Adventure can be run in parallel with the main story and deleted and replaced with another one once you've cleared the world you've made. Its main purpose is to give you a chance at world-specific and boss-specific items and traits you might have missed out on in the campaign, and running some adventures can really bulk out your arsenal before you go to another world in the main story. Rhom and Earth in particular have a wide range of very useful stuff for you to grab in adventures, if you're so inclined.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

multiplayer is definitely something I only ever touch with a friend with characters made from the start

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
The fact that you can roll off the bridge during the moth boss just makes it like 200% harder than it should be.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

The fact that you can roll off the bridge during the moth boss just makes it like 200% harder than it should be.

That's the entire gimmick of the fight, as their laser beams also can push you off the bridge.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

bbcisdabomb posted:

Baby scrub build is sporebloom/hunting pistol/healing field. The sporebloom does so much damage it's stupid and the grenade stunlocks anything that can be stunlocked. It's incredible amounts of fun.

Just upgrade a sniper to +10 for some of the later bosses, it really helps.

Ok so this is the loadout I used on the Moths and FINALLY beat them. Now I'm just walking around shithousing everything. Prior to that I was using Particle Accelerator +5 and Hunting Pistol +10, but I wasn't using Menders Aura which ended up being the difference maker.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Ok so this is the loadout I used on the Moths and FINALLY beat them. Now I'm just walking around shithousing everything. Prior to that I was using Particle Accelerator +5 and Hunting Pistol +10, but I wasn't using Menders Aura which ended up being the difference maker.

Try to have your guns about the same +level. To be fair having the gear your using within a few +'s of each other is the way you should be doing things.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah I didn't know that earlier, so all my armor is at +10, my pistol is now +12 and Sporebloom is +6. All my effort is going into spore

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Boss weapon levels are equivalent to two levels on normal gear, so Sporebloom +6 is the same as having +12 on the rest of your stuff.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lemon-Lime posted:

Boss weapon levels are equivalent to two levels on normal gear, so Sporebloom +6 is the same as having +12 on the rest of your stuff.

Good to know!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol what an odd game. I dunno if I was lucky or if my build was even good, but once I got Beckon (the skull summoning mod) and just committed to the Magnum and Shotgun, I just absolutely sprinted through the rest of the game. I'm sure it's different on harder difficulties, but Gorefist was absolutely the hardest boss experience I had because of the combo of build limitation and his proclivity to trap you in a corner and get you blown up from full HP.

The moths took like three tries, I have no idea who Jump Scares McGee would refer to but I probably oneshot them?

I definitely still had a good amount of fun, but the only times the game felt hard it was never in a good way.

Martman fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 2, 2021

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
The hardest boss I had to deal with by far was the Twin Moths. Since then I pretty much walked straight through Root Horror, The Ravager, The Warden, Scald and Sear, and one other one (I can't remember off the top of my head). I'm currently on the Dreamer, just one question:

Where is the weakspot of the Dreamer in phase 2?

I'm getting utterly wrecked on that part of the fight.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

SalTheBard posted:

The hardest boss I had to deal with by far was the Twin Moths. Since then I pretty much walked straight through Root Horror, The Ravager, The Warden, Scald and Sear, and one other one (I can't remember off the top of my head). I'm currently on the Dreamer, just one question:

Where is the weakspot of the Dreamer in phase 2?

I'm getting utterly wrecked on that part of the fight.

It's headshots on the dangling kid being held up by the mass of tentacles - shoot the VR helmet

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When it banishes you to the Shadow Realm, tarry a while and kill some Root. That will cause the weakspot to open for a while when you return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Phase 2 of the final boss was the only time I had to play solo. The coordination required to actually deal damage to the boss was more than my friends and I could manage even through Discord.