Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Surprised at the general lack of hype for this one. It actually looks pretty decent. In some respects, it's got the visual flair that I wanted (and got) from Hunt but with a gameplay loop that is way, way more up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I doubt the choice matters a ton beyond the first hour or two.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Can confirm game is good so far. Much more polished than Immortal: Unchained and giving me everything I wanted from a shooty Souls-iablo. Really considering re-starting a world after I finish the first full zone to see how much variation I get. I definitely fought a very different first formal boss than the other two reports ITT; one really nasty melee tank that I won't say more about. It also runs incredibly smoothly on my laptop, easy 60 fps the entire way and animations as smooth as Souls. It probably borrows a bit TOO much from Souls to feel truly original (while also making death almost inconsequential, weirdly enough) but I can't say I mind. I mean, the market's saturated with Diablo-likes, so I'm okay with a very competent Souls-like that also happens to borrow some of the best parts of Diablo.

Now I just hope I can convince some friends to give it a shot.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Orv posted:

Contrastingly I'm all the way sold on this. It's not perfect, it's definitely got a budget visible in its bones, but I'm really enjoying it.

That said yes, co-op is infinitely more fun, not that that's ever really news.

Word on all counts.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Breath of the Desert was probably still too good so decent change.

I do wish that bosses wouldn't summon elite help on solo. I beat old Canker last night but the variation on whether I was getting close or just screwed early during my many tries seemed to hinge on whether he spawned one of those four armed elites who like to be resurrect themselves if you don't spend time finishing them off. Jerks are such bullet sponges that they make boss battles completely unfun when they arrive. Otherwise, I really like that fight.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Also, any goon Steam friends want to run on this sucker. My handle's Memnaelar if so. Sadly few of my rl friends seem to be interested in this game's pitch.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So I'm at a point in the game where two npcs want a thing and I've given it to one. Do I have to go back and kill the other to progress the story or is there something I'm missing? Because killing him may take some grind...

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Final boss is really mean when you're playing solo and your only +15 weapon is a sniper rifle that's just not efficient for the second phase. Going to have to grind up a better weapon (and a lot of consumables) to beat this thing. Some part of me is tempted to re-roll the world without beating it but enh.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Promethium posted:

On the solo version I did it with +7 Ruin / +10 SMG with Swarm so the gear requirement isn't too bad.

The game scales up to match your weighted gear score so my +15 sniper rifle actually reads (thanks to my +10 sidearm) as below the encounter level for my final boss. So, some leveling of the side arm for the nega-phase is necessary.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
The sniper rifle is a good gun but not the greatest main gun, especially for the final boss.

Don't be like me. Diversify. Finally beat that jerk but needed coop to do it.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
You know what works really well against Gorefist?

Gorefist's drop. Trivializes that schmuck in future playthroughs where you just want to pistol-whip him for not being Shroud.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Game released and I was crazy passionate about it for a month as an unexpected gem, but it's been... very quiet since? I haven't seen any real content drops or even announced plans since the new year started, either on here, Reddit, or Youtube. Just about ready to uninstall and assume that it may be done for the foreseeable future. Any reason not to think that?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Is there a way to join a public game in survival mode?

Yes. Accessible from the main menu. Pretty fun and, frankly, Survival Mode feels tuned for MP. Playing it with one other player was VASTLY preferable to playing it alone.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
It does kind of blow me away how much better this game would be with ANY sort of competent narrative design. The rest of it is SO good and satisfying that even just a half-coherent story with stakes to it would make it top-notch.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Is there really any incentive to build new characters? This game reminds of FFXIV where it rewards you most for just playing a single toon through all the content (unless you play Remnant Hardcore, which is something I don't have the stomach for).

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Also, after some time away, I am REALLY pleased that it feels they upped the drop rate of lower-tier iron and Lumenite crystals for those of us who leveled one set of gear all the way to 20 and now want to work up other builds and gear. That said, Simulacrums are still hella-hard to find. I don't think the Earth swampland or Ward Prime have any as I searched both thoroughly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Just finished the expansion and... okay? Reisum just feels unfinished from a story perspective - no real NPCs to interact with at all, lots of empty space to trek through with only the snarls of the ratdudes to make it interesting, and a real mixed bag of bosses from Ornstein and Smough-dog being pretty fun to the Conjurer just being a hide behind cover and shoot and pray annoyance. Final boss is just not enjoyable - I hate multi-phase bosses that make you fight through both after death and the second (major) phase is just not particularly fun, especially solo. If the camera were better, I wouldn't mind it so much but it asks a LOT to aim at the boss for his weakpoints while lining up the camera to do that but ALSO need to line up the camera so that you can tell if dodge-rolling will put you IN or OUT of the path of the laser beams he's charging up.

And then the ending cinematic is largely nonsensical and ends with a whimper.

It's been a long time since I've played a game that is both incredibly satisfying gameplay-wise but just ANNOYING in terms of creative decisions made with the story and world design. I was hoping I'd get the sense they were learning but from the start of the DLC (where DID that NPC who jumped through that portal with you go and why was he even featured?) to the end, every story beat just seemed... unnecessary and lame.

Argh. I want to play more and I don't, all at once.