Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That room is one of my earliest gaming memories. The shotgunners turning into pitch black cutouts as they walked through the pulsing light, with my shotgun fire illuminating the dark in hopes of hitting something was actually quite scary...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've forgotten how decent Unholy Realms is. I don't see it mentioned a lot, but it's a solid 32-map MegaWAD comprised of a shorter, well-paced ~100-250-count levels that are generally difficult on UV pistol starts, but nothing crazy. More like a 6/10 toughness, I'd say. A nice palate cleanser after Sunlust.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've forgotten how decent Unholy Realms is. I don't see it mentioned a lot, but it's a solid 32-map MegaWAD comprised of a shorter, well-paced ~100-250-count levels that are generally difficult on UV pistol starts, but nothing crazy. More like a 6/10 toughness, I'd say. A nice palate cleanser after Sunlust.

It’s solid - the big fights are tough without being dickish, and the design is tight. Lends itself well to Final Doomer, too.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I love how every 10 or so posts in this thread is basically "Hey, here's another few hours of new content for this game you like".

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

pro starcraft loser posted:

I love how every 10 or so posts in this thread is basically "Hey, here's another few hours of new content for this game you like".

Figure since I'm playing through them anyway I could give a quick summary of the Doom Board Projects as I complete them. Might be fun to follow the progress from its humble beginnings to stuff like Auger;Zenith and beyond.

DBP 01: Monuments of Mars
7 levels, themes of industrial and hell/lava
Nothing particularly stands out, good or bad. The levels are at least decent, though later ones have some pretty annoying switch hunting and a few of the fights are a bit bullshit and archvile spam-y. Probably my favorite bit is the "final boss" consisting of a bunch of soldiers in a lava pit. Still for a first entry it's pretty good, if you're hurting for something new to play I'd say it's worth a run through.

e:
Actually my favorite thing is that for the first few entries they use the X-Files theme for the text screen :v:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 15, 2024

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The cool thing about running out of levels to play is that you can just make more...

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
doom is the only game u need baby. soon, all games will be doom

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
DBP 02: Circle of Caina
8 levels, theme of winter wonderland
The ice theme is nice, and making water hurt you because it's too cold is cute. Still nothing particularly memorable with the levels themselves. Map 4 gives me a lot of trouble getting lost in a dark cave. Map 5 is the first entry from what has become one of my favorite contributors to DBP, SuperCupcakeTactics. Though this is not a favorite map of theirs for me. It introduces the hallmarks of their style, busy layouts, lots of low tier enemies, health and armor bonuses spammed everywhere.

https://i.imgur.com/fLuoLTt.mp4

But in this case they layout is a bit too convoluted, later maps from them will flow much better IMO. The last two maps get a bit slaughtery, with the final one featuring a platforming section that goes on longer than it needs to.

So again nothing really stand-out, but if you're looking for a short winter-themed set you could do a lot worse than DBP02.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What mod are you using for the gibs? Those look pretty great.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

NashGore, looks like?

EDIT: Oh, you can barely see at the end of the video that it's apparently Beautiful Doom.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
You can also see the player hit one of the spectres with the shotgun's stock, which is one of Beautiful Doom's alt-fire options if you're not running with pure vanilla weapon settings.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

So I've been playing a WAD called "The Long Trek Home", which is essentially Doom II going in reverse after the ending and it drastically changes the landscape of each map in crazy ways. It starts small then maps begin expanding; right now I'm at Dead Simple, which now has over two hundred enemies and starts with a huge square room filled with Arachnotrons and a Spider Mastermind before it opens up. I need to finish this if only to see how they handle Entryway, the shortest, most linear map in Doom II. It's a cool concept, if a little weird because storywise all of Doomguy's handiwork gets completely cancelled out.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 17, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grimthwacker posted:

So I've been playing a WAD called "The Long Way Home", which is essentially Doom II going in reverse after the ending and it drastically changes the landscape of each map in crazy ways. It starts small then maps begin expanding; right now I'm at Dead Simple, which now has over two hundred enemies and starts with a huge square room filled with Arachnotrons and a Spider Mastermind before it opens up. I need to finish this if only to see how they handle Entryway, the shortest, most linear map in Doom II. It's a cool concept, if a little weird because storywise all of Doomguy's handiwork gets completely cancelled out.

Reminder that Plutonia MAP32 is an expanded version of Entryway (by way of DWANGO5) so there's a lot of precedent for murderously insane entryway reworks already.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Arivia posted:

Reminder that Plutonia MAP32 is an expanded version of Entryway (by way of DWANGO5) so there's a lot of precedent for murderously insane entryway reworks already.

Yes, but the Casalis were a special brand of crazy. I don't expect "Go 2 It" levels from this.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DBP 03: Forest Swords
8 levels, theme of forest/jungle
Difficulty is starting to creep up in general, this set starts off with a pretty nasty archvile trap in map 1. 2 is a giant cavern that I spend way too long getting lost in, but it's got some good veritcality. Map 4 is a nice fort that reuses the starting area for some decent teleport ambushes later on. Maps 5 and 7 are a bit too sprawling for my tastes, but if you like nonlinear exploration based maps I can see them being good for that type of gameplay. The final map in this set is the first DBP entry to really poo poo the bed IMO. From big boxy layouts that just get mobs of enemies dumped into them, to a mandatory secret to get a key:

https://i.imgur.com/sNkWKpO.mp4

It just doesn't feel good to play. It's the first (but not last) time I've had to look up a playthrough on Youtube just to progress.

So overall another decent set, a couple of the later levels sprawl a bit but that's a matter of taste, only the last map is a real stinker.

anilEhilated posted:

Yep just BeautifulDoom. I disable stuff like bullet casings and flies over corpses but the blood effects look pretty good as is.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
got through the first chunk of The Singing Void, time for a Sunder break.

ANFSCD, I'm playing

Austrian Avian Association

once you get used to the throwing axe it's pretty fun.

e: feeling deadly with the winchester now. very nice first map, some difficulty up on the ledges and better secrets than usual for a map1. im playing on Cassowary difficulty

once you get the chaingun replacement it feels very Wolfy

Brolander fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 17, 2024

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I gave AAA a shot and was feeling it after MAP01 but MAP02 was such a POS I just gave up. Maybe I should blow through it on a lower difficulty to see the custom enemies and textures.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I haven't had too many major gripes so far. map 4 has handed me my rear end a couple times. the guns feel good, a little more resource mgmt than I am used to

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

I gave AAA a shot and was feeling it after MAP01 but MAP02 was such a POS I just gave up. Maybe I should blow through it on a lower difficulty to see the custom enemies and textures.
I've had the opposite experience, actually. Loved the hell out of trekking the Alpine countryside and throwing axes at people, but the last two levels where it descended into more classic doom territory kind of lost me.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 17, 2024

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

finished MAP02 of my upcoming project....lookign for some feedback. gonna release map01/02 as a demo to motivate me to finish the drat thing. its a Boom pack and eventually will be 6 levels. check it out.

>>>DOWNLOAD<<<

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Are difficulty settings enabled? Is playing on UV pistol start fine?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Only UV avail and it is indeed designed for pistol start!

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

In Training posted:

finished MAP02 of my upcoming project....lookign for some feedback. gonna release map01/02 as a demo to motivate me to finish the drat thing. its a Boom pack and eventually will be 6 levels. check it out.

Played the first map and good stuff!

You may want to add a little more wall where the invisibility sphere is. You can make the jump to the blue key and cut half the map (but that last fight is a lot different without the rocket launcher).

Edit - That last fight in map 2 is really well done.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 18, 2024

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

anilEhilated posted:

I've had the opposite experience, actually. Loved the hell out of trekking the Alpine countryside and throwing axes at people, but the last two levels where it descended into more classic doom territory kind of lost me.

yeah once you get the maxim gun and the beasts+crowds escalate it becomes a Real Good Time. they tease the napalm for a while and it's good but not great. ammo more plentiful too as you go

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Oh. OK.

"The Long Trek Home", Map 30/Doom II Map 1.

572 enemies.

So that's how it's gonna be.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Played the first map and good stuff!

You may want to add a little more wall where the invisibility sphere is. You can make the jump to the blue key and cut half the map (but that last fight is a lot different without the rocket launcher).

Edit - That last fight in map 2 is really well done.

Conversely, if you drop down next to it before hitting the switch that opens the floor back to the main area, you get softlocked.

Also, the ammo count is pretty tight. Even with a lot of berserk punching, I only had about 30 bullets left at the end.

Speaking of the berserk, it's obvious that the opening is meant to be a punchfest, and it's well-balanced for that, but since it looked to be my only source of health at the beginning, I was inclined to save it for later in case I hosed up. Putting a couple medkits available in the main chamber right from the get-go would help cut down on the worry about needing to save it.

Gorgeous map, fun well-balanced combat though.

edit: oh, and the timer on the lift lowering in the pit with the pain elemental felt surprisingly tight for what's not a secret or anything. This would probably be better if you could just activate the lift itself to lower, or had the button right next to the lift. Don't need to make just crossing the level a pain.

Map 2: oof, big jump in difficulty.

The second secret is kind of obtuse and I'm not sure how you're actually supposed to get to it. I'd make one of the walls in the back of a cubby hole lower, that way you can kind of tell there's something on that side of the bridge.

In this map I had plenty of ammo, but health was pretty low, especially at the beginning. Definitely felt like the central plaza needed some medkits, especially in case you hosed up a little bit in the first segment. Speaking of, on your third trip through that central plaza, there's no indicator of where to go next - I wasn't softlocked, but I was just like "okay I guess I'll retrace my steps and see if anything has changed," and then I found what had changed.

On a related note, just after that, the sniper-position revenants had clumped up at the bottom of the staircase and were basically right on me punching as soon as I went through the teleporter to the final area. Since I never had an angle or a good way to kill them previously, this felt really unfair, and I had to reload a few times and try some different angles to finally not instadie just for going through a progression teleporter.

And ow, that last fight. I'm rusty, but that feels a bit too much. One arch-vile would have been plenty since I only have the SSG and the chaingun. I loved the secret though, more Doom maps need secrets that play with fight balance to give you an advantage, instead of just resources.

Overall, very pretty, well designed, looking forward to the full set for sure.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 18, 2024

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arivia posted:

On a related note, just after that, the sniper-position revenants had clumped up at the bottom of the staircase and were basically right on me punching as soon as I went through the teleporter to the final area. Since I never had an angle or a good way to kill them previously, this felt really unfair, and I had to reload a few times and try some different angles to finally not instadie just for going through a progression teleporter.

Thanks everyone for all the notes but I will say immediately this is a bug/mistake! I think I accidentally removed a sound blocker at some point, they should be hiding in that temple not sniping from the stairwell.

Also I think I will def have to tweak the progression after the bridge battle, it's very not obvious. It's crude but I can probably replace that little lift back to the plaza with a tele pad that throws you in the orange zone with the pillars so you can see them move up into position.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
No worries, it was still fun and playtesting exists to find bugs like that!

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Two issues I noticed: You can bump all the weapons at the start of map01 through the bars and break progression. Most platforms for the turret monsters lack blocking lines and in boom you can knock monsters off ledges easily. This is most apparent when you return to that cut in half arena in map02 - each of the three revenants can be knocked off their little platform with a single ssg shot. I think two of them fell for me.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
LOADING: 6PACK.WAD....

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Just started Death In Excess and this is pretty good so far!

Holy poo poo the ramp up in diffuculty is pretty intense starting at map 10. That has forced Archville jumps but I saved way earlier after I killed them so skipped that map.

11 is very difficult as well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Holy poo poo the ramp up in diffuculty is pretty intense starting at map 10. That has forced Archville jumps but I saved way earlier after I killed them so skipped that map.

11 is very difficult as well.

you wanted more hard maps like sunlust!

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Arivia posted:

you wanted more hard maps like sunlust!

Haha very true.

Something that was throwing me off a bit is a few of these maps now have a 'pick any direction you want', but if you pick the wrong one you don't have the weapons you need for a particular fight.

Still fun though (outside AV jumping :( )

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
It's a crime that there isn't an SA community project called "Do you have stairs in your .WAD?"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

It's a crime that there isn't an SA community project called "Do you have stairs in your .WAD?"

Yes I Am Degreeless.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Brolander posted:

LOADING: 6PACK.WAD....

not too much to add that people haven't already said about map 1

map 2 however the beginning is the kind of thing i get through once, save and never play again. kind of fun to ride up against the wall segments, i guess. i was initially trying to see if i could get thrown all the way to the end but wasn't working out

cool colors m8. mad the aqua hurts me, that's a friendly color

couple good rooms to stir things up and infight

i like the "Flavor" of the chain link armor secret

i am feeling like im supposed to have more than an SSG for the finale, might go look for the other secrets first

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The finale is definitely a big whiff for me...very overturned on UV, not really sure what I was thinking! After uploading it, watching recordings and getting feedback and going back to test it myself I couldn't even beat it reliably lol. Whoops! Must have just been like, in the drat zone when I designed it and made it wildly cracked. I have adjusted the arena and rebalanced the fight to keep the pressure+pace I was going for in a shorter and more readably survivable time-frame.

Does anybody here have any artistic pixel art talent?? I really need to replace that super ugly placeholder logo that I made myself, I have no talent at all in that regard...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

In Training posted:

The finale is definitely a big whiff for me...very overturned on UV, not really sure what I was thinking! After uploading it, watching recordings and getting feedback and going back to test it myself I couldn't even beat it reliably lol. Whoops! Must have just been like, in the drat zone when I designed it and made it wildly cracked. I have adjusted the arena and rebalanced the fight to keep the pressure+pace I was going for in a shorter and more readably survivable time-frame.

Does anybody here have any artistic pixel art talent?? I really need to replace that super ugly placeholder logo that I made myself, I have no talent at all in that regard...

For your WAD? I've been wanting to give making Doom assets a go, if you're willing to let me try. I just can't make any promises, is all.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DBP 04: Xenomorph Base
6 levels, theme of H.R. Giger
Another difficulty bump. This theme is the first one to look really good with nice use of lighting and custom textures to integrate Giger's art/style throughout. Featuring the first Cupcake map to really jump out and be memorable to me. Tight spooky cooridors works very well for their mapping style as is apparent here as well as in the next set. Rotten is an actual horror map with a low enemy count but even less resources for you and a looming archvile threat. Necroplasm is a decent final map, having you fight across platforms in a sea of sludge and duking it out with two cyberdemons for the blue key.

Overall the strongest mapset yet in terms of both theming and gameplay, would recommend checking it out, especially map 3 Spiral Edge:

https://i.imgur.com/bkymI3e.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arivia posted:

For your WAD? I've been wanting to give making Doom assets a go, if you're willing to let me try. I just can't make any promises, is all.

Yeah, for 6PACK.WAD! Im happy for any contributions because I really have no ability or skill in making art, if you want to give it a whirl, try making a logo that looks nicer than what I put together. Really just trying to maintain that icy metallic or rocky combo as a theme. Go nuts with it though!