Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

I can't seem to help myself but if maybe I tell myself I only need to make a dozen or so more custom switch textures and maybe a few vehicle textures I'll be ready to start mapping soon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

LeschNyhan posted:

I can't seem to help myself but if maybe I tell myself I only need to make a dozen or so more custom switch textures and maybe a few vehicle textures I'll be ready to start mapping soon...

oh poo poo those are rad computer screens :eyepop:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Finished Machete, and I really enjoyed that one. Smaller-scale maps, doesn't ever cross into slaughter territory, decent challenge (on HMP+pistol start) that only really gets nasty in the last couple of levels. Nice and breezy.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Has anyone here played Venturous?

Was watching Icarus's video on it and it looks awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfkXkYQUdck

Chip S. Challenge
Mar 20, 2024

Hint: You don't need the fire boots, but they could help later on.
it’s cool that icarus is still around doing his thing

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

khwarezm posted:

Has anyone here played Venturous?

Was watching Icarus's video on it and it looks awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfkXkYQUdck

Yeah, a while back:

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Venturous trip report:

Fun? Very short, very very short, and structurally kind of bizarre, but I enjoyed it well enough.

The enemy replacements have a nice consistent aesthetic, kind of claymation-y? But they don't really stray all that far from the standard Doom archetypes, so it feels more like a Doom reskin than a conversion at times. Boss monsters were tough enough to feel significant without actually being that hard to kill. No final-map-of-Antaresian-Legacy bullshit here.

Far too many weapons, this guy had ideas for like three games worth of guns and threw all of them into this. It's like the Perfect Dark arsenal. Some weird redundancies, too. There's two different .223 machine guns, one which lets you aim down sights and another than doesn't, but the aiming doesn't seem to do much, mechanically, and you only get the latter one in one specific level? And then of course there's also a 9mm machine gun, which exists just to be worse in every way.

Level design-wise, there are some neat flourishes in there. I especially want to highlight the use of silent teleporters in the penultimate room of the last map- subtle, and effective at disconcerting me, at least. I had to stop and take a second to figure out what was going on.

I don't think this one is winning any Cacowards, but I'm definitely interested in whatever PixelFox might do next.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
long shot, but is anyone here running gzd + zdl on linux (nobara) successfully? can go into detail over pm — everything's great but sound init fails on every device, and everything else game related has been flawless. i'll ask on discord but figured i'd raise a flag here too. :pray:

i've mentioned it already but Lithium is a great option if you want the same satisfaction as a clicker type game but also doom. even without sound i love it

e: https://marrub.itch.io/lithium

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 2, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

spider wisdom posted:

long shot, but is anyone here running gzd + zdl on linux (nobara) successfully? can go into detail over pm — everything's great but sound init fails on every device, and everything else game related has been flawless. i'll ask on discord but figured i'd raise a flag here too. :pray:

i've mentioned it already but Lithium is a great option if you want the same satisfaction as a clicker type game but also doom. even without sound i love it

do you have a link to lithium? google turns up a bunch of things but none of them seem right

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Arivia posted:

do you have a link to lithium? google turns up a bunch of things but none of them seem right

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=54904&hilit=lithium

Here you go; that's another great mod I need to revisit sometime.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

spider wisdom posted:

e: https://marrub.itch.io/lithium

Gah, this looks really cool but I promised myself I would finally finish Phantom Liberty before jumping back down the doom modding rabbit hole. I want it, but I'm not gonna crack.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Hot tip for all you map makers:

If you have buttons that require being hit in an depression (so you can't punch it) PUT A CLIP SOMEWHERE SO YOU DON'T SOFTLOCK A 2 HOUR MAP. :argh:

Otherwise, DiE really turned it up. I think 16 is probably the hardest map of the wad.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 3, 2024

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I have issues with required distant shootable switches for exactly that reason. Make them punchable or reserve them for secrets if they must be shot from a distance.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pro starcraft loser posted:

Hot tip for all you map makers:

If you have buttons that require being hit in an depression (so you can't punch it) PUT A CLIP SOMEWHERE SO YOU DON'T SOFTLOCK A 2 HOUR MAP. :argh:

Otherwise, DiE really turned it up. I think 16 is probably the hardest map of the wad.

Every eye switch in Sigil 1 has a clip right in front of the slit for exactly this reason. Thank you Romero.

Also I feel like I should mention the shootable switch in No End In Sight that’s not at your level at any time. Instead, it has an imp on the ledge in front of it. You’re supposed to wait for the imp to walk in front of the switch and then shoot the imp with shotgun or chaingun, pulling auto-aim up so you also hit the switch. If this sounds fun, play NEIS, it’s full of great little tricks like that.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
The last recessed shoot switch I put in was for a chainsaw secret, so really the joke is on anyone going for it :v:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like putting recessed shoot switches in pillars. If that's a crime, I'm willing to pay the price

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Any idea what might keep the inf BFG from working? Very last fight of this WAD and the BFG doesn't shoot it's projectile. Literally firing blanks.

Nevermind, used sv_infiniteammo

Yay! Death In Excess completed. Lives up to its name. Great rec Arivia!

Next up - Abandon

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 3, 2024

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

I have issues with required distant shootable switches for exactly that reason. Make them punchable or reserve them for secrets if they must be shot from a distance.

Is there some reason to make a recessed shootable switch VS just one that has to be punched or shot? Would punching not create the same sound as a gun as far as the game engine is concerned?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Is there some reason to make a recessed shootable switch VS just one that has to be punched or shot? Would punching not create the same sound as a gun as far as the game engine is concerned?

Needing to move sectors while keeping them away from the player so they can't gently caress up the movement comes to mind. Sometimes it's not about the sound, it's about where the player is when they shoot the switch.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Recessing is also one of the better ways to indicate that a switch has to be shot, if you don't have a specific shootable texture.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hey if a 7 year old wanted to learn how to do doom wad mapping/get into it, what resources should I point them at?

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Barudak posted:

Hey if a 7 year old wanted to learn how to do doom wad mapping/get into it, what resources should I point them at?
Ultimate Doom Builder is the answer. It’s free and incredibly easy to pick up.

This video by James Paddock does an excellent job of showcasing UDB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4-5d10dCyQ

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Finished Pina Colada, had a lot of fun with maps 1-18, have absolutely no loving idea how you're supposed to beat anything from 19 on without shamelessly cheating. Are there any other wads focusing mostly on smaller-scale combat puzzles? Already played Ozonia and Machete, as well as the Scythes (although their last chapters really don't count for this).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Finished Pina Colada, had a lot of fun with maps 1-18, have absolutely no loving idea how you're supposed to beat anything from 19 on without shamelessly cheating. Are there any other wads focusing mostly on smaller-scale combat puzzles? Already played Ozonia and Machete, as well as the Scythes (although their last chapters really don't count for this).

Swift Death.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pirate Doom 2 is now playable for everyone, as it reached open beta
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/143805-pirate-doom-ii-finished-public-beta-release/

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm having a lot of fun with Dungeon Synths. Weird but cute mix of medieval imagery with unapologetic synthesizer music and motifs. Very chill good times.
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/dbk01-ds

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

code:
Swimming		: Required--if not using freelook, make sure to have swim up/down controls bound
:crossarms:

That's a new one.

But sure, I'm down for a dungeon synth-inspired WAD.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

code:
Swimming		: Required--if not using freelook, make sure to have swim up/down controls bound
:crossarms:

That's a new one.

But sure, I'm down for a dungeon synth-inspired WAD.

Swimming is basically flying just in specific areas with a breath meter sometimes, and flying is a Heretic/Hexen engine addition. It's not that farfetched.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Of all the things that people criticize about GZDoom, one thing I never see mentioned is how it doesn't have jump and crouch double as swim up and swim down.

Okay I think jump does double as swim up, but crouch still just crouches underwater, which has to be one of the most useless bits of game design pedantry ever.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Bishop posted:

Of all the things that people criticize about GZDoom, one thing I never see mentioned is how it doesn't have jump and crouch double as swim up and swim down.

Okay I think jump does double as swim up, but crouch still just crouches underwater, which has to be one of the most useless bits of game design pedantry ever.

Could just be an oversight, if you're playing a map with jumping, crouching and swimming you're probably also using mouselook in which case you just look up or down and hold W.

Cue someone posting a WAD from 2003 that hacked in swimming but still disabled jumping so dedicated swim up/down buttons would actually be useful.

e:
pffft The PD2 thread mentions not using jump/crouch and mouselook being optional, so there's that.

e2:
PD2 adjusts lost soul health so they can be killed with a single shotgun blast, GOTY.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 18, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm playing it now and it's very fun, as expected. Doom + cartoon pirate theme somehow goes so well together. It's all a "skin" on top of the traditional Doom gameplay, but it fits really nice, the textures from MI3, the demons with pirate hats, the weapons, the constant pirete-y shouts, the music, it ties it all together perfectly in setting in a tone of fun.

The level are pretty short, and at least the first 8-9 are easy. This part is also very "low level combat", with the game keeping you away from the super shotgun, rocket launcher etc for a good while.

It's also full of little details. The shape of the map called Tortuga Island is of course, a tortuga, the way to get out of the whale level is the logical one, etc

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 20, 2024

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He also changed the enemy idle animations so if they aren't alerted to you yet they'll stand around drinking or, in the case of lost souls, smoking cigars :yeah:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished it today, but now I was left itchy with wanting a bit more Doom, so I started something I know other people here played some months ago (but I hadn't, until now), Venturous
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=78218
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQfGCeNIQJk

In fact it seems he released a content update a month ago, with new weapons, enemies and six new maps.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Abandon really lives up to its name as in you get to about level 10 and you want to just leave this poo poo in front of a fire dept and forget about it forever.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 25, 2024

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

speaking of frustration I might give up myself on The Troopers' Playground, that latest addition to the source port mod selection. It is aggressively 90s - lots of boxy rooms connected by hallways, limited health and ammo, way overtuned combat for the space & level design (maybe this is only bad bc it's not designed for pistol start or something? Some of the starts of these maps are just miserable) and it's all topped off with a custom enemy that is like a chaingunner with more health and 3x firing speed. You get just one of these in a trap and it's insta game over.

I have been pushing through with excessive save scumming, up to MAP05 now and probably won't stick around to see the rest.

In Training fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 26, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

In Training posted:

speaking of frustration I might give up myself on The Troopers' Playground, that latest addition to the source port mod selection. It is aggressively 90s - lots of boxy rooms connected by hallways, limited health and ammo, way overtuned combat for the space & level design (maybe this is only bad bc it's not designed for pistol start or something? Some of the starts of these maps are just miserable) and it's all topped off with a custom enemy that is like a chaingunner with more health and 3x firing speed. You get just one of these in a trap and it's insta game over.

I have been pushing through with excessive save scumming, up to MAP05 now and probably won't stick around to see the rest.

This is gonna sound insane but I swear I’m not loving with you: stick around ONE more map. It all comes together really really well in MAP06. I remember basically nothing from when I played it, except for that one map which I immediately went “drat that one’s good” when it got added to the Unity port.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arivia posted:

This is gonna sound insane but I swear I’m not loving with you: stick around ONE more map. It all comes together really really well in MAP06. I remember basically nothing from when I played it, except for that one map which I immediately went “drat that one’s good” when it got added to the Unity port.

I actually quite liked MAP05, and Ill keep plugging away. I wonder if most of the weaponry is locked behind secrets? Ive found like one RL with no ammo on one map and thats it, everything else has been sg/ssg/cg...really its the kind of design I would find bland but manageable on PC but its just so rough on Switch.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Do either of you have a link to the wad? I get a bunch of hits when I search for Trooper.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pro starcraft loser posted:

Do either of you have a link to the wad? I get a bunch of hits when I search for Trooper.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/s-u/ttp-rp

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would recommend playing continuously, it is very ammo + weapon starved otherwise. I'm at the tail end of MAP07 and wondering if it's even possible to finish now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Thank you!

And thank you for the continuous comment, I always pistol start so I'll avoid that this time.