Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hurt Me Plenty and Ultraviolence have wildly different enemy and item distributions in Doom 1/2 so thats likely the cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Romero also loves a closet full of barons of hell.

But yeah the zig-zag over damage floor is peak romero and its even in E1M1 although at least there its a helpful tutorial rather than an actual threat.

Man E1M1 is an amazingly well designed level

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So unfortunately I cant participate in Doom WAD Club authentically this week, but having played Sigil before, I do want to encourage all of you who are Doom WADing to think about the progression of a wad and how stages are intended to be progressively iterative.

The reason I mention this is while overall I think Sigil is uneven, it does something Its easy for a WAD maker to overlook which is having a clear tutorial for its mechanics, both standard Doom and non-standard Doom and then continues to use them through out in increasingly complex ways. Im not saying most WAD makers don't do this, but its something that requires a vision of what the purpose of your maps are supposed to be together and reliably separates fun maps from good WADs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the map screen in Doom 1 is real good, much like Ghouls and Ghosts

It clearly was appreciated since Doom 4 had it as well

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the RNG is most pressing with the shotgun as it can clip enemies in addition to not always killing an imp which is another reason why the super shotgun feels so dang good.

Dooms weapon tiers are shotgun, super shotgun, big loving (shot)gun

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Any Doom map where Im not supposed to kill everything is something my brain cant process and I usually end up skipping the level.

VideoGames posted:

I will request that this is uploaded and then once it is done, post again asking for people who wants tags to let me know and I will get them added on :)

Please, tag me up videogames

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sigil is one of those wads where it was, seemingly, genuinely tuned for HMP as standard and Ultraviolence as a real kick in the shins step up in difficulty.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I assume it's because Doom doesn't have a harder difficulty than Ultra-Violence (Nightmare is just UV but with fastmonsters+respawn), so the only way to make something harder is to balance Hurt Me Plenty to be around UV levels of difficulty, and then use UV as the super-hard-mode. Everything is shifted down one difficulty, basically.

Yep, Doom is very well designed and has three tiers of difficulty, making hurt me plenty the highest of the normal tiers. It feels like John consciously designed Sigil with hmp in mind and Ultraviolence as the next step up instead of going the other way so Ultraviolence feels particularly depriving.

I say very well designed because the tiers affect what items and enemies spawn and where they spawn. Its not just oh yeah, here enemies take 25% less damage and move 10% slower, placements are radically different.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yo Doom WAD club it turns out lowtax made not one but 2 Doom Wads

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im wrapping up thy flesh consumed, so yeah, im ready for a lowtaxing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wont lie none of the "beautification" mods really do it for me but thats because I started playing Doom on the GBA so i think what i want are uglification mods and something that forces the framerate sub 20 fps and completely fucks up maps.

Like I just rebeat Doom 2 and mentioned in the other thread I got lost in Doom 2's the Chasm because its burned into my memory as two separate maps

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I stink at using the BFG badly enought that sometimes it feels like Doom doesnt either.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are several mods that deal with caco corpses because yeah that sucks

Archviles were pathetic on old console versions because the game had to delete monster corpses to save memory.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

640x480? 240x160 are more than enough pixels to Doom, comrade

Turin Turambar posted:

Can you name them?

I dont use them but theres a fading corpses mod that just removes them (but leaves them functional for archviles) and my understanding is several beautification mods either change the caco death sprite or change its render size. Sorry im not more helpful.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

I'm playing through Master Levels and I keep wondering, why the hell people thought, even back in the day, that it would be fun to have lava pits where there's no way of getting back up and you just stand there dying?

I mentioned this in the other thread but The Master Levels have some really egregious design decisions throughout like progress gated behind secrets with timed switches, invisible unmarked bridges that are necessary to progress, unannounced icon of sin fight with no ammo refills for rockets, unmarked "push button to lower wall" in one specific piece of wall after everything else used switches, and of course inescapable death pits.

Its an excellent WAD concept though, and Bethesda should have revisited it for the Doom 2 ports but well, you know.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

I enjoyed some of the maps so far like Attack and TTrap, but I agree with you and I don't think I experienced some of that bullshit yet.

I would say the maps sort of go up and down in quality with an overall downward trend as you go through them in the presented order as they get more complicated. Like even though Vesperas is a super fun level for 80% of the run getting stonewalled at an invisible bridge is real bad.

Im just gonna spoil one awful thing, the map Black Tower which is mostly quite good (has an unmarked switch to lower a wall I got stuck at at one point) ends by requiring you to blind drop into a damage floor pit with a passage seemingly leading out of it and the trick is thats all a lie and you beat the level by dying on that specific damage floor.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally diving into these maps thanks to my visitors finally leaving.

Going Up

Kicks off what this map series will be about which is dumping you somewhere, getting a keycard, and having to fight your way back to the elevator. The only enemy I enjoy pistol fighting in doom are Imps so this stage is, well its a bit of a slog. Has something Im not a huge fan of which is a fairly useful powerup buried in a monster closet that you're only likely to find after you've beaten the encounter without it which, uh, I think will be a running idea.

Im a fan of the layout here because there are enough ramps and different pieces of cover to give you multiple approaches which can easily get overlooked and make your map a linear maze that looks open. Im a stickler for opening map flows and how they teach you to play the war so I dig this map a lot. Shame about starting with an ambush but WADs can get away with assuming you've beaten the main campaigns.

Evil Admin

Are the imps at the end infinite until you meet certain progress conditions? It felt like they were the first time but the second time I thinned em out. Definitely a stage where I benefit from knowing a berserk pack is 100 health.

The map layout is, fine? Its not particularly interesting being two big rooms. The route around the outside in the first of the two rooms seems unnecessary. Had a few ammo drops get stuck on ledges you can access which is also a bit of a bummer.

Crawl Space

Pinkies, pitch black mazes, and a chainsaw. Definitely not my style of map and makes me miss Doom 64s chainsaw. This maps progression route has a brief annoyance since two obscured walls are needed to be opened to progress and the ending opens a room with seemingly nothing in it but ways to waste ammo. Maybe a missed a secret?

Blood and Rockets

Good map but definitely annoyed with the amount of pistol enemies that spawn in at one point and the pointless pile of pinkies in the center room. The stage ending is definitely one of those learn where/how enemies pour in or suffer the consequences and is slightly hampered by my inability to smoothly go up doom circular staircases.

One thing I gotta mention is I love having open windows to allow you to thin herds before you enter a room but using the geometry to hide more foes inside. Its a nice combination of feeling like you made an impact but still having a fight on your hands when you open the door.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Maybe I should revisit Ancient Aliens based on that scoring but, ugh, I did not like it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I made this to commemorate an amazing WAD:

what I really want is a final doomer Going Down Guy loadout

Please dont spoil that the reason Going Down requires an updated engine is the final level is just watching a video of Doom Guys family showing he never was very good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Going Down is wearing me down. Every map ending with "And then a lot of enemies spawn/are resurrected/spawn and resurrected, beyond what you can deal with so you sprint from the final pickup to exit" is just kind of tiring. I appreciate whats happening here with clever traps but its all in service to a level design you do over and over and over and over and over again and its not particularly interesting doom gameplay to me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Time Warp
I really like this level except that it twice pulls a "teleport you into a room where enemies begin immediately firing on you." The two room layouts being linked for puzzle finding and progress is super neat and naturally constructed, and the level is short enough that it doesn't overstay its welcome except for the trap where it drops two Pain Elementals on you gosh darn I hate those things.

Painframe
This is basically a small circular room entirely constructed of monster closets. I feel like I missed out on an invulnerability power-up somewhere in this map. The fight "inside" the computer is a neat use of Doom's limited lighting and coloring effects but isn't a particularly fun fight given that its just a small circular room and rapidly spawning enemies who seemingly have no impact on what enemies appear "outside" the computer. Cyriak clearly didn't like being able to swiftly exit this map so two Barons of Hell stand rubbing their faces against the elevator when you get back to the main room once you have the keycard.

Bad Reception
I really like the puns in this games maps, did I mention that? They're good.

The issue with this stage is its extremely tightly designed; little railings block rocket shots but allow arachno-tron blasts to pass through to you, waves of enemies, one full heal prior to a final sprint among other things. It's really well put together, but on Ultraviolence the level feels like you get to do one exact route through the stage, especially the ending which requires letting a Spider Mastermind unload on your spinal column. It's really well designed, and it'd be a fun map change of pace in another WAD, but here its kind of a repetition of a theme without much to say and a rather tight restrictions on how to path it out.

Hide and Seek
Well at least the first 7 maps in this WAD don't have arch-viles. Now its AV city and there's no escape. The map is fine, just a bunch of Arch-vile hide and seek except the end which highlights how awful the splash damage to the player from the rocket launcher is.

The visual effect of the box bursting open is neat and the map makes the most out of its tiny cramped space to get the horror vibe going.Good placement of boxes, as well.

Trip Switch
Oh look, the level ends and you pour multiple arch-viles in at me making the ending either an insane dash with tons of luck or a slow grind to use save states to kill the goddamn arch-viles. Neither one is very fun.

This maps overall design is a monster closet and a monster L-shaped hallway and just not very interesting. There are attempts to spruce up the layout like the Barons of Hell lining one wall you can telefrag, but honestly this level is just kind of dull.

Vivisection
Save the invulnerability powerup for the end or suffer. Everything in this level is super fun up until you grab the yellow keycard and then once again, pile of monsters comes trundling out and the levels momentum and fun is murdered by 10,000 screaming skeleton jet-pack boys.

I'm starting to regret playing on UV because most enemy counts seem pretty unchanged except Arch-viles and they're getting in the way from me enjoying killing the final wave of foes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im going to tough it out in Going Down until I get to the point where you lose equipment and then switch to HMP because Ultraviolence is just kind of tedious in the back half of each stage.

Walking over a Baron of Hells head as a bridge to another area so you can murder an archvile fast enough to turn around and obliterate the other archvile then killing a pile of enemies is an experience, for sure.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Jesus Christ, TEETH.WAD sure is a loving map :stare:

Time to clear Master Levels up.

There is a secret exit in Express Elevator to Hell (map 1 of teeth.wad) that requires you to get all three keycards and leaving a specific enemy alive in the final room. Id recommend playing the level normally until you unlock access to the floor 1 door and then looking up what you need to do to get to the secret level.

Express Elevator to Hell's hardest part is the first about 45 seconds to minute so if you can get through that you can do the level. Its an awful start to what is otherwise a really fun map.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 13, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dead End
Good level, nice tight design, the fact that floor isn't damaging is wonderful. The end fight has some sort of randomization to it I didn't figure out in what enemy sets it spawns in what order and that makes all the difference for how easy this is. Well that and if the final Arch-vile gets stuck on the ledge and can't come down, giving it basically nothing to do as you run right out of the level.

Deep Trouble
Love the map, again Arch-vile jerk placement where the solution to the trap is just "memorize the trigger then blow up the arch-vile almost pre-emptively" although that trap doesn't exist below Ultraviolence. The level is really super fun and the final arena is great unless on ultraviolence where it becomes a mess of combatants and I snuck out with literally 3% health.

Secrets and Lies
I'm real dumb so the opening of this level took me longer to figure out how to progress than it should take a normal person. If you put progress behind a secret I tend to faff about thinking it doesn't progress. I also lucked out that its got a relatively safe start so I was able to make up for my bad exit on the previous level and recover my health. Also theres no trap on UV associated with the megasphere so I got to end the level at 200/200. This level doesn't end with a massive horde spawning in and forcing you to rush the exit so its basically a 10/10 level as far as this WAD is concerned.

I feel like this mod is almost entirely defined by its Archvile placement and this level is just kind of tedious here. I had to slowly wait for one to warp in and then blow them up instantly, several times. Worse is there is a secret early on that has an archvile behind it that is otherwise an absolute backstabber in the end of stage fight so if you don't find the secret geeeeeet wrecked.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 13, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Victory Position posted:

The most heavy-handed argument for playing Going Down on HMP is this: they aren't 200 angry skeletons on MAP19. No, they're 200 angry necromancers. :nutshot:

A long, drawn "gently caress" but the uh sound is the doom guy desperately searching for secrets.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oops, All Archviles

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looking at Shoehead's time to progress and mine and just... wowzers. Finally made it through black mass and the two secret maps and thats taken me 2 hours. Jeez.

Gladiator

I really like this level. It not only has a fun main gimmick it also goes nice and light on the archviles so you only have one wave to deal with and can manipulate it so thats the first wave you deal with when there are basically 0 enemy corpses for them to use. The ending where it descends into absolute chaos is also surprisingly fun probably because so much monster infighting happens so immediately that you're really just cutting your way through the pile of Imps back to the door/Hitler room and can then go back for the secret exit somewhat at your leisure.

Stair Crazy
This might be my favorite map in the game so far. Its a great inversion on what you've been doing, has dumb plot to go with it, and even on ultraviolence has a light enough enemy and trap load you can get into a rhythm of pushing up the stairs then back down the stairs to manage enemies. The surprise archvile about 1/3rd of the way into the level is tremendously jerky but the double archvile trap at the end is actually totally fine with me because you can just open the door and murder them.

Roof Rage
Its a remix of the first level and its not particularly great. The first level map is still really neat, but its not particularly interesting to just spawn a hojillion low tier enemies on you in cramped spaces. I clearly lack the skills to do this not-safely and safely completed its basically "sit in a corner and blast the trillion enemies as they stagger into your sights". The final phase is neat enough but I feel like there are too many enemies so it just sort of goes on longer than it stays interesting.

Black Mass
The actual layout of this level, from the path behind the elevator to the secrets to the asymmetry is really really good. The monster closets via teleportation that trigger for touching basically anything in this stage just isn't. The final mad dash is also basically a "did you find the invincibility powerup? y/n"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 14, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If its classic Doom difficulty I play with a controller, if its WAD caliber I play with a mouse but no Y axis movement.

I always tell myself oh Ill use loadout mods and reduce rocket damage and stuff for my second playthrough but then I basically never play through WADs again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Ive sort of started dreading the end of maps in Going Down because thats where the fun stops.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dammit Ion Maiden I can't finish this WAD fast enough for you either!

Rest in Pieces
Its an ok map layout that summons multiple archviles in cramped spaces at staggered times to maximize the frustration of trying to hunt them down. Hate it. Just, ugh.

Buried Alive
The deforming terrain opening was neat, not something I've seen in Doom before. The rest of this map is awful, basically just memorizing a route to the end and exploiting the fact you can walk on the heads of enemies. Then you circle strafe until the cyberdemon blocking the exit dies so you can then leave. You basically have no reason to explore this beyond hoovering up rocket and cell ammo because the next stage only gives cell ammo. Its not a very good level otherwise, either. Heck this entire level basically exists for a visual effect at the end of the next stage.

200 Mega Hurts
Massively easier than expected, the hardest part is the very first maybe minute and a half of the level. The rest of it is basically spamming the BFG and hoping the archvile section of the level doesn't air juggle you off the route you're trying to take. This level is basically a training tutorial for "the BFG is actually just a super shotgun god super shotgun" where if you don't know you should get as close as possible into peoples grills with it you'll have a bad time. Overall one of the easiest levels in the whole thing.

The Mouth of Madness
A really cool map layout and ending condition ruined by just pouring a crud load of enemies and basically making the entire difficulty of the map be killing time until the cyber demons and imps are thinned out enough to push your way to the end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stair Crazy is really good.

200 Megahurts is better than Buried Alive by a country mile.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm sorry Going Down! You're really well designed but currently you're my vegetables as I treat myself with Ion Fury.

Indigestion
A map where you'll kill about 3 or 4 enemies on your own and then just route your way to the end. It's not a particularly interesting level, and incredibly short, but I'm thankful its winding enough you can lose enemies to shake them as you loop around to hit the red switch. Otherwise this level is not very good but hey, it isn't crawl space.

Constipation Station
Despite looking circular its actually just a single route spiral. It provides limited weapons, limited ammo, and then barfs a final fight on you thats difficult to navigate because, again, its not a real circular pathway. The archvile trap at the end is a combination of rude and completely uninteresting.

Demonology
90% of this map is incredible and then I think 16 archviles get plopped on you. Thats not a joke, there are 20 total in the level and you only fight 4 by then. Did you memorize the fastest route to the exit? Congrats the ending section of this stage is a waste of your time. I'm too tired now, but I could do a whole write up about how gosh-darn incredibly good this map is from a design perspective and how it shows a great understanding of Doom all the way to that point. Like its just absolutely outstanding from how its built from the ground up, captures the essence of doom, and then just, the ending, why.

Bridge of Blood
No archviles on this map, 10/10. But seriously, its kind of tedious being another map that basically requires stalling out while waiting for infighting but the actual concept and set-up is quite good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Revenants are rude rude skeleboys and always have been. In vanilla Doom 2 you just aren't that often in close quarters and facing that many of them that its noticeable that they can occasionally have rockets made of hot bullshit.

Although in the master levels I did end up in a scenario where I spent around 10+ seconds after the fight was done trying to shake the last two revenant rockets that were still circling me and I had to make odd juking patterns to get to the nearest wall as the missiles indefinitely homed around me like explosive vultures.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Unholy Cathedral joke is my favorite thing in the mod. The first time I played Doom 2 I must have been lost there for several hours

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait? gently caress, poo poo yeah.

I just played both of them back to back youd think Id remember.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Getting to the end, think I'll do a holisitic write up when I finish it.

Forbidden Fruit
Oh hey its a companion piece to Demonology. It's not as good as demonology (seriously, that map is really good) but its another change up to how Doom operates and what a level condition can be. Sadly it doesn't change up how Going Down works and the end is a frantic dash with way too enemies spawning in and a pile of archviles being dumped on your lap. Gross.

Insanity
It's a good level. The Archviles don't spawn in behind you and are in spots on the map where enemies other than Imps aren't. Honestly a really impressive use of the Doom engine for atmosphere in ways I didn't expect with the ending and start being the highlights.

Hard Cover
This isn't a good map but since the archviles are extremely limited and can be dealt with at the start of the stage and can't move to respawn any other enemies it feels great, this WAD has just exhausted me with Archviles.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finished Going Down on UV took me 5 hours according to the timer.

Necropolis
Nothing I love more than a Slaughter map that staggers the release of archviles in so that I have to kill them after the main wave has spawned so infighting lasts really long as I wait and wait and wait growing ever more bored with the monsters killing each other. Actual layout is real good though, mind you.

Demolition
The first map that does not end with traveling up or down at the end. It's really bad. Not sure if a bug but I killed the Spider Mastermind and then it left a corpse despite the boss going into phase two. This map overall is probably the single most boring in the whole wad and to make it worse, if you don't realize it, you want to exit this with as much health and ammo as possible.

Game Over
It's a perfectly good concept and again, an interesting idea, except that the door opening for the exit is basically completely random which means the first two times I attempted this level I got wrecked and the third time it was so easy I used the super twice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive got a longer review in me but my thoughts are basically from a design concept and map to map progression its incredible and extremely well thought out. From an actual individual level quality theres some severe undulations between them and some of the experiments while super cool misfire in quality.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The rocket launcher shoots up stairs just fine is about 75% of beating that level. The rest is super shotgun and at the very end going ovaries out and just bumrushing the archviles in their cage with the plasma gun.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 21, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

site posted:

i would agree except for the part where 15 cacos spawn right next to you when the 3rd hoard is coming down the stairs lmao that was intense

Oh for that i ran up the stairs towards the fore-horde and then turned and ran back to the cacos missiles blazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What if youre so bad with the BFG it takes you upwards of 7 shots to kill a cyberdemon. Does your math acount for that? I dont think so!