Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I got up to about partway through E5M5 tonight. I'm not... really good at Doom, so I've been struggling even on HMP already. E5M4 was especially rough, since I managed to enter the level with only 1 health left, and had to carefully creep along until I managed to find the sphere on the ruins path. The crusher path and the lava run path were both practically impossible to even attempt, I was kinda surprised there wasn't a health pack at the start just so you'd be able to run the middle.

The first three levels were really fun though. Cramped, and pretty maze-like in places, it's not really what I'm used to since I've mostly done a couple co-op runs with friends. The secrets have really been having me scratching my head so far, and I don't expect it'll get much better. I think I'll go a bit more in-depth when it's not 3AM and I've finished more of the wad.

Zaphod42 posted:

This cyberdemon is an rear end in a top hat and the geometry walking around here gets a little funky. Feels like Romero is trying to be too clever.

... There was a cyberdemon in the level? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Can I get the wad tag too please?

an_mutt posted:

alternatively:

Arch-viles are the best Doom enemy.

It's when mappers use them badly where they become a problem.

My problem with Archviles was never their actual mechanics so much as sometimes finding it -really- hard to break line of sight. A couple of the wads I've played with friends just have them spawn in in big open rooms and it's like, why? There's much better enemies for that. At least add some pillars to duck behind!

I think in Eternal they'll lose their resurrect ability just because we have an enemy in 2016 that does something really similar. I think if they keep them otherwise the same they'll still work as a really high priority enemy you have to deal with... and now I'm imagining an encounter with both Archviles and Summoners in it.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

So that was... interesting. I'll have to go back to get the secret to get to E5M9 but overall I found Sigil was pretty fun. I'm so used to much more open maps, that having to navigate winding labyrinth pathways was -mostly- fun. I feel like it started off -way- stronger than it ended though. After a while, I started to get this feeling of "Okay where's the next tiny room where I fight a Baron" as I went, and I was really getting frustrated at the sheer lack of supplies. It's super stressful wandering around hearing monsters in the walls when you're on 5 HP. The relief when I -find- a medkit is exhilarating but when I walk around a corner and get instagibbed by a hitscan enemy... It's frustrating. I do think the overall experience was neat but there was some massive swings in how the levels felt.

I do have to wonder what the heck was up with the end of E5M8 though. When the bosses spawned I rounded the corner to make distance and just stumbled onto the exit? I feel like that could've been placed differently.

Mystic Stylez posted:

:agreed:

gently caress this poo poo right here:

Yeah that was kinda weird. I took the left path the first time I tried it and got bitten by a caco for my troubles.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I finished Sapphire on HMP. I agree with the assessment that it starts out okay and sorta falls apart as it goes. The custom mancubi are really bullet spongey and feel like they mostly serve to drain your ammo between rooms. There's a -lot- of hitscan enemies in the rooms and it can make it pretty frustrating to take them down while trying to save ammo for the barons/cacos/arachnotrons scattered about. It looks really nice though!

I do love that for whatever reason this super-high-tech space station just has a room seemingly dedicated to storing normal-rear end lava.

It was incredibly frustrating to backtrack because I -knew- there would always be one of these guys hanging out in the hallways. They always left me low on health and wasted a lot of ammo.

-gently caress- this guy. His chainguns absolutely tore into me and had like no spin-up time. It was way worse than his BFG. At least his BFG cleared the room quickly so I didn't really have to deal with the other enemies while hiding behind the pillars but that was really frustrating.

I did get a "secret is revealed" but I guess it didn't count as the actual secret? I got the BFG but I only used it to kill one of the super mancubi.

It was certainly an experience though.

Zaphod42 posted:

Question for the thread, how do we feel about Heretic?

As far as I'm concerned, its a reskin of Doom, and so Heretic WADs are effectively fair game.

But I could see if some people wouldn't be as interested. Either way probably hold off awhile, until we start doing things like playing weird total conversions like pirate doom anyways.

I've never played Heretic, Hexen, or Strife so I'd be a little lost but honestly I'm lost playing Doom anyways so it wouldn't be too much of a change of pace. I think it could be fun.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Yeah, I think I'm going to be skipping out on Going Down at this point. I've played through it before with friends, and I don't have time to finish it and my four job fiesta at the same time.

I'll definitely take a crack at Breathless and start on Paradise tomorrow though. Paradise looks gorgeous and Breathless looks like... It'll be an experience.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I'm getting walled in Breathless on HNTR at, what I think is the last fight of the map. I'll agree it's really pretty but drat if I don't really have the skill to keep doing these massive enemy encounters. I try leading all the monsters one way, circling around, trying to get priority targets but then I get caught on a literal cloud of cacos or hit by one of the 200 revenant fireballs following me and just feel like I want to stop playing. I might come back to it later but I'm gonna stop here because I'm not having a ton of fun. The other encounters I found a way to approach but this one just feels like too many enemies to form a solid strategy.

I can't imagine how nasty it gets on UV.

Again, real pretty though. I really appreciated the location of the first secret too.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I'm poking my way through Paradise still, just got to map 5. I'm catching up, I swear!

I was having a lot more fun when every button didn't open up giant closets full of agitated skeletons. The end of map 4 was pretty fun but it's kinda feeling slog-ish right now. When I beat it I'll do a full go-over on my thoughts, but they're -mostly- good right now.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

In more green conversation, I finished up Paradise

I ended up playing on Casual since the last couple wads have been -really- kicking my rear end. I figured that was around HNTR? I'm not really sure. Anyways, onto the wad.

Overall I found it fun (and, visually, very pretty). There was some slick fights, and though it got pretty rough, the pace kept up and really only one part had me held up. The scrap gun was neat but I really only ended up using it on clearing out hordes of imps, since I figured that was the use-case.

Map 1:
This one was striking right out of the gate. I really, -really- like the idea of DOOM in a bright sunny tropical area. This one was quick and fun, and gave you plenty of time to get used to the semi-auto handgun and the assault rifle. I got both the secrets on this one too. I really like the custom archvile, way more than the regular one. I like the emphasis on keeping the player moving and locking off an area. It makes a lot more sense than "stand still behind a wall for a second" as a way to lock doomguy down.

Map 2:
"Hello friend, you get your shotgun now." This one took me a while, I ended up killing myself with a rocket launcher once or twice trying to strafe around. It's where I first actually noticed the green gas boys, and the fire baron thing and cyber barons show up. I like the last two a bit less than the custom archvile, though the noble whatevers having their rocket launchers explode when you do enough damage is pretty neat. I missed most of the secrets on this one, and spent a lot of time just kinda wandering around looking for them.

Map 3: A bit fresher in my mind, this one was interesting with the introduction of the scrap gun. I found myself leaning on it a lot when I first picked it up but switching back to more staple weapons after. This is another map I ran around in looking for secrets, ended up missing one. I liked the theme of looping around turning on the power through the facility. The encounters were still varied and fun here. I actually have some screenshots for this one too.

The cyberdemon was an interesting little game of rocket tag here. Fun practice on streaming the rockets for later fights on the map where there's more of them.

I immediately knew that this area was going to be a little bit of a shitshow looking down from above. The bits after this one didn't give me issues for some reason.

Map 4:

I had a real rough time getting to it, but the slaughter part was pretty tight and fun. I spent a lot of time wandering around an empty map looking for the second secret. Sorry small armor pickup at the start of the level, I never figured out how to get to you.

The shifting ground and acid runs at the start were neat, and the cliff section too, but I really mostly just remember the end part lol.

Map 5:

Things are starting to get really green now. This first area was really frustrating to me due to all the skeletons that just kept piling in every time I hit a switch. It's the map where I first started to have to deal with homing fireballs for whatever reason, they just weren't shooting them before, so I'd get chunked out of nowhere when I wasn't expecting it.

like seriously. gently caress these skeletons.

Of course, that wasn't the worst part. The worst part was the archvile room. That was an absolute nightmare. I couldn't get into the holes at all, and if more than one was alive I'd just get pingponged around by the flames and die. I eventually got a lucky run where I just killed them as they came out of their little room and from there everything went smoothly. The next couple rooms were pretty straightforward, and I ended up conserving a lot of the cells and just shotgunning and rocketing everything to death before heading out to the final boss area.

The final fight was pretty neat. I ended up clearing out all the enemies before hitting the buttons. I like the idea of a massive fight while you strafe around trying to accomplish things. Compared to Sapphire earlier, this works a lot better because you can actually dodge around cyberdemon rockets.

All in all I had a lot of fun with it, but I could've done without that archvile room. As I get better at doom I'll probably end up coming back to this one to give it some attempts on the higher difficulties and look for those secrets I missed.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Diabolus Ex was excellent. I played it on HMP.

-Very- pretty. I'm absolutely in love with that cyberworld theming. If I at all knew what I was doing I'd love to make a cyber map using those textures.

Most of the references ended up lost on me since I never played Deus Ex, but I always appreciate an enemy in a bathroom stall for whatever reason.

And this part gave me a second of actual vertigo when I walked out and looked down at that skybox. I didn't realize how high up the map intended me to be at that point.

I managed to find everything too! This was a blast and was pretty refreshing to play as a weekend map after the last couple were a bit tough. It was honestly great for de-stressing after work.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

BaconCopter posted:

Was there a Cyberdemon inside of that red block on HMP?

Yep. Caught me a bit off-guard when I opened it since I wasn't really expecting anything at all on the other side.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

site posted:

is there no bfg in that area on hmp?

There is, I just got the secret discovered message and thought "oh this is a big reward for a little bit of jumping."

It didn't even occur to me I'd need to use it immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I'm about halfway through Baculus now, playing with DRL Arsenal and Monsters on Standard as the Marine.

Even though I'm playing with a class that saves a lot of ammo, I can definitely see where people are coming from with the problems. Shotgun ammo has been pretty scarce, and I feel like I'd be completely out of bullets if I wasn't playing the marine.

For whatever reason Baculus causes a lot of DRLA's little teleport items to spawn instead of armor and mods. This makes it quite a bit tougher. I gave DRLA a test-run on Doom II before running it and I had a lot more mods for upgrading my weapons.

I also notice a lot of its secrets are super obtuse. There's hidden triggers for doors in other parts of the level opening, or stuff just sitting on a pillar with no switch in sight. I scoured this level and found like, no way to drop that invis down to the floor.

thanks baculus. good secret.

It's nice to finally get out of the tech base and into the *checks notes* hell base part of the wad now.

portholes

This is the first backpack I found, I might've missed one, but I feel like the ammo issues could've been mitigated if you could carry more between levels.

I bumped into one of DRLA's weird super-hard dark souls invader-style bosses in Map13, and ended up stopping for the night after beating Map14. Overall so far it's okay, but I probably would be having less fun if I wasn't running a weapon/enemy mod.

The secrets need to be a bit more obvious than "walk over this unmarked part of the level to open a door at the very start of the level" too. The maps are starting to get better though, and it's starting to look good for something clearly trying to be much more vanilla. It almost feels like the map maker was improving as they went and just hasn't done a second pass yet. I'm not really sure on the history of this wad so I'm just speculating right now, but I've definitely had this... feeling before in other games (and even romhacks) I've played.