Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

A.o.D. posted:

The problem isn't the person, it's the procedure. If those cops do that to some pedo, they'll do that to some kids grandparents at 1 A.M. when they get swatted or just end up at the wrong house, or they'll do it to some black guy who spends a little too long trying to find the keys to his own front door.

You think he really cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Dorstein posted:

Is there a source for this?

quote:

GUANTANAMO BAY, Cuba (July 6, 2007) - Sideboys render honors as Capt. Bruce Meneley, incoming commander of U.S. Naval Hospital and Joint Task Force (JTF) Joint Medical Group Guantanamo Bay, makes his way to the Bayview Club patio for the change of command ceremony. JTF-Guantanamo conducts safe and humane care and custody of detained enemy combatants. The JTF conducts interrogation operations to collect strategic intelligence in support of the global war on terrorism and supports law enforcement and war crimes investigations

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Edit: on a second viewing, he has his hand on his gun before as the cops open the door. What was he going to do if he wasn’t met with police, but the kids he thought he was going to bang?

Yeah this made me curious too. I think the guy had some plans beyond “do pedophilia”

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 26, 2024

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

iwentdoodie posted:

You think he really cares?

It doesn't matter if he cares, I just wanted to make that point.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The whole “kill your local pedophile”/anti-child sex craze that’s all en vogue with the right wing has a direct line to QAnon. It’s all really loving gross and harmful to actual efforts to prevent child/human trafficking.
That and their definition of pedophile stretches far beyond the normal one.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

That and their definition of pedophile stretches far beyond the normal one.

What is your definition of pedophile?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
yeah to those guys anyone they don't like for any particular reason can be fit into the "pedophile" box in their head.

gay? pedo.
liberal? pedo-tolerator (Comet Ping Pong!)
supports trans kid? you better believe that's a pedo

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I mean right now they are busy whipping out the 1980’s anti-gay playbook and labeling all Trans people and Drag Queens as pedophiles so if it’s all the same to you I’d rather not encourage police to shoot first in any situation.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The funniest part is how many of those 'Kill All Pedos' and "Pedophile Hunters" are/were projecting, and are later caught up in CP/SA.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

yes but you see their abortion CP is moral

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

bulletsponge13 posted:

The funniest part is how many of those 'Kill All Pedos' and "Pedophile Hunters" are/were projecting, and are later caught up in CP/SA.

Or are revealed to have prior convictions for same.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The vigilante ones always seem like idiots who probably end up getting most of the cases thrown out through incompetence.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Don't forget the whole "vigilante YouTuber with a subscription-based predator hunter business model" wave, those are almost entirely awful as well

I saw a man wearing a hat that said "PEDOPHILE HUNTER" at Disneyland. A younger and dumber version of me might have gone and talked to him and said "That's really brave of you to draw attention to your problem, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to live with urges like that. Also, what do you hunt?". The older and wiser version of me decided he didn't want to get into an argument or worse with a chud at Disneyland with my family present.

lmao "sideboy" is a role in the navy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

canyoneer posted:

I saw a man wearing a hat that said "PEDOPHILE HUNTER" at Disneyland. A younger and dumber version of me might have gone and talked to him and said "That's really brave of you to draw attention to your problem, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to live with urges like that. Also, what do you hunt?". The older and wiser version of me decided he didn't want to get into an argument or worse with a chud at Disneyland with my family present.

lmao "sideboy" is a role in the navy

How else are you gonna get piped aboard?
No not like that!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The same as the legal one.

But as Scratch Monkey and Rhymenoserous said, right wingers are trying to drag anyone LGBTQ or supportive thereof in under the label.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Given the width and breadth of bad shoots the cops do on the regular, it's not exactly a hot take to recognize that this is a bad shoot while also saying it's not nearly as bad of a bad shoot as we are used to seeing.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

imgur thinking of this thread today

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Collateral Damage posted:

The same as the legal one.

But as Scratch Monkey and Rhymenoserous said, right wingers are trying to drag anyone LGBTQ or supportive thereof in under the label.

All the more reason to hold police to a high standard when dealing with accusations, instead if shrugging when someone is shot to death unnecessarily.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Scratch Monkey posted:

Navy doc who thinks he’s about to have sex with two little girls gets caught in a sting, immediately pulls a gun, and gets loving lit up by the cops. Guy was formerly the “commander of U.S. Naval Hospital and Joint Task Force (JTF) Joint Medical Group Guantanamo Bay”

:nms:
https://www.upi.com/amp/Top_News/US/2024/04/21/video-footage-underage-sting/6541713724725/
:nms:

Link to the released body cam footage in that story if you want to see a (blurred out) dude shot at close range by three cops

Holy gently caress, he was the commander of the KAF Role 3 hospital when I worked there :stonklol:

e: again, gently caress

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 27, 2024

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Hey reminder we have a thread specifically for arguing about how bad cops are, thanks.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Pet those idiots!

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Wombot posted:

Gonna call that a bad shoot. He did pull a gun out, however his finger was off the trigger and he was holding it by the back of the grip. The officer immediately grabs it and holds his hand, at which point the other officers magdump while the officer is still effectively hugging the dude.

That’s certainly one way to interpret the video, errr lol

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Rhymenoserous posted:

I mean right now they are busy whipping out the 1980’s anti-gay playbook and labeling all Trans people and Drag Queens as pedophiles so if it’s all the same to you I’d rather not encourage police to shoot first in any situation.

A lesbian Xer friend of mine from back home is constantly posting this kind of thing on Facebook, and it just scrambles my drat brain that she doesn't recognize it. QAnon was like heroin for flyover country.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Groda posted:

A lesbian Xer friend of mine from back home is constantly posting this kind of thing on Facebook, and it just scrambles my drat brain that she doesn't recognize it. QAnon was like heroin for flyover country.

Some people buy hard into the TERF philosophies. Does she believe Bi people exist? I have run into GSA and other supposedly LGBT friendly groups that leave out the B and T.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

A couple more for good measure.

quote:

]
The U.S. airman convicted in a sprawling leak of classified government secrets that revealed sensitive intelligence about America’s allies and adversaries will face military criminal proceedings later this month, Air Force officials said Wednesday.

Jack D. Teixeira, a member of the Massachusetts Air National Guard who in March pleaded guilty to a raft of federal crimes, faces charges under the military justice system of obstructing justice and failing to obey a lawful order, officials said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive matter.

The Air Force intends to hold a hearing to review evidence May 14 at Hanscom Air Force Base in Massachusetts, the officials said. If prosecutors present a sufficient case, the case could then move to a court-martial trial.

The Air Force’s disciplinary proceedings raise the prospect that Teixeira, 22, could face additional time in confinement after he completes his federal sentence. He faces more than 16 years in prison as part of his plea deal with the Justice Department.

In the Air Force’s criminal case, Teixeira, an airman 1st class, faces a special court-martial trial, a process that limits potential imprisonment to one year. Teixeira could face a variety of additional punishments, including a bad-conduct discharge and a demotion in rank.

One of the Air Force officials who confirmed the forthcoming proceedings said the service has closely coordinated with the Justice Department. Teixeira is subject to prosecution by both because he was on active-duty orders when he leaked the classified information, the official said.

Per Washington Post (paywalled)

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 1, 2024

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Any word on all of the leadership people who encouraged this activity by him?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Last I heard the fist of an angry god came down on the unit and I think disbanded the entire thing, or suspended it or something? Officers got a real mean letter in their career file I imagine.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

15 people were disciplined, all told. From back in December:

quote:

Among those punished, Air Force officials said, is Col. Sean Riley, who was commander of the 102nd Intelligence Wing, a Massachusetts Air National Guard unit to which Teixeira reported. Col. Enrique Dovalo, the former commander of the subordinate 102nd Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Group, also was cited “for concerns with unit culture and compliance with policies and standards,” according to Air Force officials.

Riley was relieved of command; the Air Force did not publicly disclose the nature of Dovalo’s punishment. Neither officer responded Monday to requests for comment, and the Massachusetts Air National Guard said in an email that they would not be granting interviews at this time.

Riley was removed from his command position on Nov. 1, a detail not disclosed until Monday. Dovalo already had moved on to another role, said a defense official familiar with the issue, speaking on the condition of anonymity to address personnel matters. The majority of the disciplinary decisions were made within the Massachusetts Air National Guard, the official said.

Riley suspended lower-ranking personnel in April from their positions in the smaller 102nd Intelligence Support Squadron and the detachment of National Guard members to which Teixeira reported most directly. They now have been “permanently removed” from those jobs, Air Force officials said Monday.

In June, Riley referenced the investigation in a brief video message to personnel under his command, saying that, like the New England Patriots, they needed to make needed adjustments and improvements while also preparing for the future.

“Based on the inspector general review at the end of April, we know we need to improve some of our internal processes and procedures,” he said. “We have already started to implement the corrective actions that are required, and while we need to focus on quickly this important task, we can’t lose sight of what’s ahead for the 102nd.”

Source (paywalled)

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

quote:

In the Air Force’s criminal case, Teixeira, an airman 1st class, faces a special court-martial trial, a process that limits potential imprisonment to one year. Teixeira could face a variety of additional punishments, including a bad-conduct discharge and a demotion in rank.

One of the Air Force officials who confirmed the forthcoming proceedings said the service has closely coordinated with the Justice Department. Teixeira is subject to prosecution by both because he was on active-duty orders when he leaked the classified information, the official said.

Is there any particular reason he's getting a special court martial with limits like that? Is the expectation that he'll do a year, get out, then serve another sentence elsewhere?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

No idea, but they seem to be letting Justice take the lead on the really heavy stuff; that's what's going to put him away for the rest of his life.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

He already pled to the civilian charges for a 16 to 11 year sentence, how hard the judge wants to go will be determined in september

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Punished Ape posted:

Is there any particular reason he's getting a special court martial with limits like that? Is the expectation that he'll do a year, get out, then serve another sentence elsewhere?

Double Jeopardy does apply in the military, and it could just be that DOJ has more and better resources to prosecute the crimes he committed and are going to stomp on him hard enough to satisfy all the parties involved. At that point DOD just wants enough left over to drum him out of the service.