Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's all one single organism. It has two baby-shaped tentacles protruding from its ventral flesh sacs.

This is the future atheists want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

those are its lures

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Good on AI him for figuring out how to put two+ patches where there's normally supposed to be one.
Making AI create photos of folks in military uniforms results in some drat bizarre ranks. While messing with ChatGPTs DALL-E, at one point I got close to a Chief Senior Airman of the Air Force.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Shinseki, slapping his forehead in disbelief: "A combination beret and patrol cap??? The solution was right there all along!"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
"AI, show me a senior airman, but make it stolen valor!"

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I don't know what is going on with Osan's algo, but only when I'm at work I get weird AI Facebook posts of super thicc stackediers of the buttlefield.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I said enlist illegal aliens to make up our numbers in the armed forces not Alien aliens.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Crab Dad posted:

I said enlist illegal aliens to make up our numbers in the armed forces not Alien aliens.

So you’re against ETs fighting for a new home?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

nullscan posted:

I don't know what is going on with Osan's algo, but only when I'm at work I get weird AI Facebook posts of super thicc stackediers of the buttlefield.

Same, but Ashley Madison ads when that was a thing

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nystral posted:

The xenomorphs are always looking for a new home, and everyone’s chests burst with love* not long after meeting them!

*:cry:

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Nystral posted:

Clap them cheeks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/wusa9/status/1781011463634567340

Oh no!

Anyway,

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sentence him to trial by radioactive combat.

Pull off the Slotin Maneuver, you can keep your rank and retire early.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

If you get old enough to worry about your military career, this career isn't going well. That ladder is long and the windows close early

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Lmao gently caress I'm pretty sure I met this dude at one point when I was in

E: lmao gently caress yep we were on Ike together

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Was he as big a piece of poo poo as we imagine?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

iwentdoodie posted:

Lmao gently caress I'm pretty sure I met this dude at one point when I was in

E: lmao gently caress yep we were on Ike together

Appears to be a PO1… well they say you can’t make board without a DUI and a divorce…. I guess this would be a good instead-of.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Incarcerate ahead of peers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

That beret is the funniest thing I've seen all week.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Godholio posted:

That beret is the funniest thing I've seen all week.

That's kind of how my Basic beret looked, considering the Drills were like "here's your berets, make sure they are shaped and shaved, ask your JROTC guys if you don't know what you're doing" and our JROTC guys had no idea either.

In retrospect, our JROTC guys were dumber than the average JROTC people, which is DEFINITELY saying something.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I spent my first Drill in the NG fix8ng my entire section's berets.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

My favorite thing in the Army was getting issued gear and either having to modify the poo poo out of it to make it work or being told I couldn't use it as designed.

Beret: shave it, wet it, wear it and stretch it out, and actually if you cram it in between the cushions of your truck's seats for a month or so it'll probably look about right

Waffle Top: it zips up to the neck, but you guys need to wear it open to about the sternum so I can't see you're wearing it under your ACU top

Fleece jacket: division pam says it's not recommended it wet conditions, so you can't wear it in the winter

Soft shell jacket/wet weather jacket: they have hoods, but gently caress you if you use the hood

ECWS parka: we issued it, but gently caress you if you ever wear it

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I definitely have a lot to complain about my old unit but fortunately dumb policies for wet/cold weather gear wasn't one of them.

Well, except for E9s sometimes being utterly deranged about beanies. They failed hard in their war against the beanie though, they came back out as soon as they left the area.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m sure the war against boonie hats continues unabated.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Korean flight line in the dead of winter was way too loving cold and windy for anyone with rank to be there so anyone low enough to actually be doing the work wore whatever the gently caress we wanted to keep the icicles on our faces to a minimum. PT hat on under your ACH and very thoroughly covering your ears? gently caress it they wanna yell at us they can come out here and do it.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

At Quantico there's like 4 colonels to major generals who all think they're the ones in charge of the base and they all disagreed with what we should be wearing at the gate so we constantly got yelled at for what we were wearing at the gate

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
1-2 Infantry "Black Scarves" used to make us wear their little scarves in Iraq. Once you left their footprint, every non 1-2 SNCO and officer would be inexorably drawn to you to yell about how it wasn't authorized, while if you forgot to put it on some 1-2 guy would likewise be angry for the opposite reason. It became a sort of game seeing how many people would stop you in the course of a day. Also, never ever call it a neckerchief.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I got yelled at during the actual invasion/fall of Baghdad, literal street fighting still happening, for having my wiley x sunglasses on my forehead.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Loden Taylor posted:

My favorite thing in the Army was getting issued gear and either having to modify the poo poo out of it to make it work or being told I couldn't use it as designed.

Beret: shave it, wet it, wear it and stretch it out, and actually if you cram it in between the cushions of your truck's seats for a month or so it'll probably look about right

Waffle Top: it zips up to the neck, but you guys need to wear it open to about the sternum so I can't see you're wearing it under your ACU top

Fleece jacket: division pam says it's not recommended it wet conditions, so you can't wear it in the winter

Soft shell jacket/wet weather jacket: they have hoods, but gently caress you if you use the hood

ECWS parka: we issued it, but gently caress you if you ever wear it

9-month rotation to ROK, starting february. Early April, 75 degree weather and warming by the day: brigade needs to be issued full ECWS gear all the way to the marshmallow suit..

Never wore it, looked comfy as can be though.

Also:
How many winter boots are you supposed to be issued if you never get attached a unit north of the carolinas? Asking for a friend.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Punished Ape posted:

Incarcerate ahead of peers.

Thread title.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Scratch Monkey posted:

Was he as big a piece of poo poo as we imagine?

I just remember he smoked, was loud af and was a smelly kid when we hit our turn to go cranking.

Crab Dad posted:

Appears to be a PO1… well they say you can’t make board without a DUI and a divorce…. I guess this would be a good instead-of.

E6 in 5 and made board twice before I got out, regret that I stayed as long as I did. Pretty sure he was a 3rd when I left the boat as a 2nd.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Get a load of this hard charger. From Army logistics captain to Marine infantry private. Wanted to do some of that grunt poo poo.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-officer-marines-enlist/

Army captain gives up his rank to enlist in the Marine Corps posted:

A former Army officer has relinquished his captain’s bars to enlist in the Marine Corps.

“I was kind of at a point in my life in the Army where I didn’t feel really fulfilled,” Nicholas Brooklier said in a Marine Corps news story. “So, it was either get out and go to the civilian world, and to be honest, I did not want to do that. I felt like my time in the service wasn’t over. I just felt like I needed a change in my environment.”

Now, Brooklier is scheduled to graduate from Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego on Friday and enter follow-on infantry training.. Ultimately, he told the Marines, he hopes to earn his commission and become a Marine infantry officer.

Brooklier is far from the first soldier to switch to the Marine Corps (and many Marines are known to go Army, as well, including Special Forces Medal of Honor recipient Msgt. Early Plumlee). But the fact that as a commissioned officer, he was willing to start over as an enlisted service member to reboot his military career makes his case rare – but not unheard of. After World War I, British Army Col. T.E. Lawrence ended his military career by serving as an enlisted soldier and airman in the Royal Air Force.

Subscribe to Task & Purpose today. Get the latest military news and culture in your inbox daily.

Originally from Los Angeles, Brooklier was commissioned in 2018 through the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program at Washington State University, according to the Army. He entered the service as a transportation corps officer and left as a logistician.

Rather than extend his contract in the Army, Brooklier decided to earn his Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. The process of transitioning from the Army to the Marine Corps began when he visited Recruiting Sub-Station Killeen in Texas. There he met Staff Sgt. Lafayette Halmon, a recruiter, according to the Marines

“I respected his high-level of commitment and conviction,” Halmon said. “It was a slow process, but he was willing to step backwards, basically from scratch, to move forward and earn his way into the Marine Corps. It motivated me in a way to put in the work for him and give him the opportunity to earn his title.”

It took nearly a year of preparations before Brooklier shipped out to step on the Yellow Footprints that await all Marine recruits as soon as they get off the bus at boot camp.

Brooklier arrived at MCRD San Diego in January and two weeks ago completed The Crucible, Marine recruit training’s capstone event. The multi-day field exercise culminates in Marines having their Eagle, Globe, and Anchors pressed into their hands, according to Marine Recruit Depot San Diego.

“I chose the Marine Corps really because of the symbol,” Brooklier said. “The Eagle, Globe, and Anchor means a lot to me to try to become a United States Marine. I also realized that the Marine Corps is the nation’s premier 9-1-1 Crisis Response Force, and that gave me a lot of purpose in my life, to continue down that path.”

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

Get a load of this hard charger. From Army logistics captain to Marine infantry private. Wanted to do some of that grunt poo poo.

Between the guy who defected to North Korea and this idiot, the army is absolutely serving up some winners recently-ish :laffo:

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
"I have to mop rain? I thought that was something they told officers they did to gently caress with them, but they actually do it."

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Isn't that guy just asking for constant poo poo? I mean, I guess the recruiter was happy, but I bet he had to make some phone calls to see if it was even something someone could do. I wonder if he had to resign his commission.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That dude is entirely new classification of stupid.
Like maybe he shouldn't be near others for fear that he will emit stupid like a Corona mass ejection.

What a total loving dumb dumb.

He is going to get the ever loving poo poo hazed out of him.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Maybe he's like that kid at basic that told stories no one believed.

"I used to be a captain in the Army."

"Whatever dude, just go to sleep."

The DIs 100% know though

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Mustang posted:

Meh, get your high three, go do something fun till you hit 20.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
How many ranks in the different branches of service can 1 dude acquire before he dies? Can he be Captain 4 Captains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If you get captain in every branch the insignias lock together to form the activation key for a giant robot