Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dick Burglar posted:

Dude had his hand on the gun the moment they opened the door, then got lit the gently caress up once he was on the ground. Jesus.

A giant plume of smoke rises from his body(?) at the end of the body cam footage.

37 shots hit while he’s on the ground.

lol

Wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Dick Burglar posted:

Dude had his hand on the gun the moment they opened the door, then got lit the gently caress up once he was on the ground. Jesus.

A giant plume of smoke rises from his body(?) at the end of the body cam footage.

I'm not going to suggest the cops were wrong in shooting him, but maybe three simultaneous mag dumps into one old dude feels like it crosses into overkill territory. I'm also really curious about the smoke. Could a vape cause that if it got hit?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
He seemed to have his hand on the gun the moment the door opened. I wonder if his plan was always to come in with the gun out.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Explosionface posted:

I'm not going to suggest the cops were wrong in shooting him, but maybe three simultaneous mag dumps into one old dude feels like it crosses into overkill territory. I'm also really curious about the smoke. Could a vape cause that if it got hit?

Typical panic response. Your brain shifts reactions to 5th gear, and thoughts to 3rd. Monkey Brain says to eliminate the threat. Until the threat is removed, the environment changes, or the brain catches up, the brain will be locked in Fight/Flight/Freeze/Fawn. That all happened in less than 6 seconds. Figure a natural, near second delay in identifying and reacting to the threat. Same again to Identify that the threat is over.

The only way (that I know of) to counter this is exposure to life threatening traumas to condition the brain's transmission. Force on Force helps a lot, but it doesn't take the place of real exposure.

I would assume a battery of some type for the smoke- occasionally people's hair or clothing can catch fire from extreme close ranges shots, but more likely a cell phone.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

This happens a lot with shootings in general. People will say they fired 2-3 times and just don't remember shooting until the gun clicks empty

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Stravag posted:

This happens a lot with shootings in general. People will say they fired 2-3 times and just don't remember shooting until the gun clicks empty

Yeah. Pretty much by definition if you're in reasonable fear for your life, a thing which is required for the use of deadly force to be justified, your body has dumped a quart of adrenaline into your system, your heart has gone through the roof, your vision has narrowed to a tunnel, and your hearing has just about turned off. You're not going to be in a state to tell the exact moment when threat becomes no threat and stop reacting.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Stravag posted:

So you are saying cops need side by side double barrel flintlocks. I think limiting them to two rounds would be beneficial, make them more discerning about using force because they have to make it count.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
IIRC that was basically the argument for cops keeping revolvers for so long after autoloaders became a thing.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Flikken posted:

So you are saying cops need side by side double barrel flintlocks. I think limiting them to two rounds would be beneficial, make them more discerning about using force because they have to make it count.

I mean im not saying they shouldnt only have flintlocks, im just saying its a thing across shootings in general even without cops involved and is one of the things prosecutors and defense attorneys use to poke holes in stories. Most people, unless they have serious trigger pulling to kill people time, pull the trigger until theres no more trigger to pull and the threat is down or they are

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Gonna call that a bad shoot. He did pull a gun out, however his finger was off the trigger and he was holding it by the back of the grip. The officer immediately grabs it and holds his hand, at which point the other officers magdump while the officer is still effectively hugging the dude.

I would much rather a prolific child abuser live long enough to reveal his network, rather than getting Judge Dredded.

There is a crystal clear frame at the very end of the linked video that shows the gun and hand positioning.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Flikken posted:

I’ve been arguing for surplus mosin-nagants. You can fire multiple rounds, but your shoulder does not want you to.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Wombot posted:

Gonna call that a bad shoot. He did pull a gun out, however his finger was off the trigger and he was holding it by the back of the grip. The officer immediately grabs it and holds his hand, at which point the other officers magdump while the officer is still effectively hugging the dude.

I would much rather a prolific child abuser live long enough to reveal his network, rather than getting Judge Dredded.

There is a crystal clear frame at the very end of the linked video that shows the gun and hand positioning.

The cops claim the guy's gun fired and hit one of the cops (I guess #2?) in the leg, but yeah he's pretty clearly not gripping it normally, at least at first. I can believe he could've gotten a finger onto the trigger even with that poo poo grip, but I dunno if that's what happened. I'm also not convinced the angle the muzzle is pointing at is ever anywhere close to anyone's leg.

Edit: honestly, judging by the angles, it looks like cop #3 shoots cop #2. Certainly wouldn't be the first time cops shot each other and then blamed the "bad guy."

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 26, 2024

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Or the middle cop grabbed it and pulled the trigger himself. I have zero trust in SPD.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Eh, I'm on the fence given the situation. I think legally it is a 'good' shoot, but I don't think it clears that bar in other definitions for me. It went down the way it did because of bad tactics.

I'm not sure who or what fired the first round, but that was the starting bell. In an entanglement like that, you need extra training you aren't going to get from the department, and also relies on those with you to know what to do. They fell to their lowest level of training. They started behind the curve, not ready for an actual confrontation, and they are lucky dude wasn't faster, or didn't sniff them out, because they hosed up the initial contact being over confident. They could have easily ate some rounds exiting because they clown car the poo poo from a single doorway.

I don't like it- I think there were much better tactics and there are things I would have done different, but I am a mentally ill combat veteran with no sense of self safety.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

To be honest, if someone puts their hand in a pocket and pulls out a gun when we’re in bad-breath distance together, I’m not going to be looking too closely whether their finger is off the trigger or whatever. Regardless of how gross this dude was, he earned at least the initial rounds on account of that. Whether he deserved to be a fleshy clearing barrel thereafter is up for debate, though.

Edit: on a second viewing, he has his hand on his gun before as the cops open the door. What was he going to do if he wasn’t met with police, but the kids he thought he was going to bang?

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 26, 2024

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

37 shots hit while he’s on the ground.

lol

Wtf

his shirt had information that would've led to hillary clinton's arrest

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Seriously riot shotgun with a baton round straight to his nuts as soon as the door opened would have been a better plan.
This bullshit of going straight to firearms instead of ambushing with less lethal first is infuriating.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
Lawful but awful, the American Cop specialty. This time it happened to someone that deserved it, but it very often happens to folks who don't.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Seriously riot shotgun with a baton round straight to his nuts as soon as the door opened would have been a better plan.
This bullshit of going straight to firearms instead of ambushing with less lethal first is infuriating.

Yeah I feel bad for the pedo that was pulling a gun before the door even opened.

This is a wild rear end take given the situation.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Scratch Monkey posted:

Guy was formerly the “commander of U.S. Naval Hospital and Joint Task Force (JTF) Joint Medical Group Guantanamo Bay”

Is there a source for this?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I feel bad for the pedo that was pulling a gun before the door even opened.

The police are not judge, jury and executioners. Never give them the benefit of the doubt.
More reliance on less lethal forms instead of the constant “GOTTA MAKE IT HOME ALIVE” mindset would trickle down to people more deserving of life than this pervert.

Recall the time the autistic kids caretaker got shot because of his toy train? Zero reason to have firearms trained on the dude but when your only tool is hammer your always gonna go for it first.

https://youtu.be/rwHJL5X97Do?si=0qRjZ8iY1Bo_ZoRu

10 Most Dangerous Jobs in America
Logging Workers. Number of fatal injuries (2021): 43. ...
Fishing and Hunting Workers. ...
Roofers. ...
Aircraft Pilots and Flight Engineers. ...
Structural Iron and Steel Workers. ...
Delivery and Truck Drivers. ...
Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors. ...
Underground Mining Machine Operators.
More items...•Jul 12, 2023

Yeah the need to chill the gently caress out.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Acab 1312 until proven otherwise. I won't shed tears over Lt Diddler, but him being bad doesn't make the other party good. They can both suck!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

MarcusSA posted:

nobody has said this. the general sentiment is

Wombot posted:

sure he deserved to die but after we squeezed all of the information out of him so we can get the people supplying him

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

The police are not judge, jury and executioners. Never give them the benefit of the doubt.
More reliance on less lethal forms instead of the constant “GOTTA MAKE IT HOME ALIVE” mindset would trickle down to people more deserving of life than this pervert.

Recall the time the autistic kids caretaker got shot because of his toy train? Zero reason to have firearms trained on the dude but when your only tool is hammer your always gonna go for it first.

https://youtu.be/rwHJL5X97Do?si=0qRjZ8iY1Bo_ZoRu

Logging Workers. Number of fatal injuries (2021): 43. ...
Fishing and Hunting Workers. ...
Roofers. ...
Aircraft Pilots and Flight Engineers. ...
Structural Iron and Steel Workers. ...
Delivery and Truck Drivers. ...
Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors. ...
Underground Mining Machine Operators.
More items...•Jul 12, 2023

Yeah the need to chill the gently caress out.

Ok bro

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Cops are always 100% on top of things and are never wrong

https://x.com/githii/status/1757500612143407501

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I wonder what it is about pedophiles in particular that makes people go "you don't want them extrajudicialy tortured in the most gruesome and graphic ways imaginable? That must mean you think they should walk totally free!"

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

Loving cops and trusting their investigations is an interesting take but have at it!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Moon Slayer posted:

I wonder what it is about pedophiles in particular that makes people go "you don't want them extrajudicialy tortured in the most gruesome and graphic ways imaginable? That must mean you think they should walk totally free!"

Particularly heinous crimes against a particularly vulnerable group, intersecting with vigilante fetishism.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Dorstein posted:

Is there a source for this?

Fox (even local affiliate Fox) is Fox, but they're not calling him a Democrat yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

das hipster posted:

Cops are always 100% on top of things and are never wrong

https://x.com/githii/status/1757500612143407501

We are talking about a specific video in which you had a pretty wild take. I dunno what the other things have to do with it.

But go off I guess.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Dick Burglar posted:

IIRC that was basically the argument for cops keeping revolvers for so long after autoloaders became a thing.
That and revolvers objectively being cooler.

Guest2553 posted:

Acab 1312 until proven otherwise. I won't shed tears over Lt Diddler, but him being bad doesn't make the other party good. They can both suck!
This is my take on the whole situation. I would have preferred that he be jailed and made to cough up anyone else he knows but I ain't exactly heartbroken that the pedo got ventilated. The pigs still suck.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
They also dumped so many rounds in a crazy fashion with a backstop of concrete 5 feet away. I wouldn't be surprised if the cop that got hit caught ricochets.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

We are talking about a specific video in which you had a pretty wild take. I dunno what the other things have to do with it.

But go off I guess.

lol

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

American policing is hosed and cops suck in general. In most cases there’s no reason to take what they say with any degree of blind trust whatsoever, but in this case:

1. Dude showed up to the door apparently with his hand on the gun.
2. The first cop appeared to try to pin it to his body/wrestle it away from him, leading to the gun going off before the other cops magdumped into him.
3. Tasers have a failure rate of up to 40%. loving around with one when there’s already a gun in play isn’t really an option.

I seriously can’t fault the cops for shooting this guy, regardless of the context. It doesn’t matter that he’s a child predator in the slightest- nothing warrants an extrajudicial execution- but pulling a gun on a cop is about as clear cut of a case of “you’re going to get shot” as possible. However, were all the other rounds after the guy went down excessive? Definitely.

Moon Slayer posted:

The whole “kill your local pedophile”/anti-child sex craze that’s all en vogue with the right wing has a direct line to QAnon. It’s all really loving gross and harmful to actual efforts to prevent child/human trafficking.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Don't forget the whole "vigilante YouTuber with a subscription-based predator hunter business model" wave, those are almost entirely awful as well

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
man, back in the day NBC just paid Chris Hansen to go interview people with developmental disabilities

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Crab Dad posted:

Not arguing, just curious. Is that like, number of people injured per year? Killed per year? Percentage of people doing that job injured per year?

I feel like that is a statistic that a lot of industries would like to skew one way or the other.

Edit: one time I was hauling a load of flags on posts that were longer than my bed, so obviously they hungover the tailgate. Most of the flags were red or had red in them. A DOT cop told me I needed to put a red oversize load flag. . .on the red flags.

Ironhead fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 26, 2024

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of folks in no way condone pedophilia, and for obvious reasons. This being the case, the ludicrous posturing that goes on around it, with people falling over themselves to loudly declare how much they loathe a thing that most other folks also loathe does little other than to increase the stigma surrounding pedophilia-- which means that it is far less likely that people with these inclinations seek treatment before they offend. This serves to increase the population of offending pedophiles in society, rather than reduce it. Which is frankly short-sighted and idiotic and thus entirely in keeping with the theme of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

MarcusSA posted:

The problem isn't the person, it's the procedure. If those cops do that to some pedo, they'll do that to some kids grandparents at 1 A.M. when they get swatted or just end up at the wrong house, or they'll do it to some black guy who spends a little too long trying to find the keys to his own front door.