Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What's wrong with disassembling your gun on watch? Aren't you just verifying your service side arm is in top working condition? Wouldn't want it to jam or misfire right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

The historian part of me cringed, but the museum volunteer/member/etc part of me thinks "eh, you gotta make money for upkeep somehow, and if this'll do it..."

But yes, gently caress shipgirl crap.

Also, as a resident of the city that built the Helldivers that helped sink the Yamato, Japan's continuing obsession with their giant all powerful ship-dick is never not bizarre/mildly amusing.

I mean Americans love Transformers which is just walking talking cars and stuff; the anthropomorphization of various objects into living beings is kinda just the logical extension of Shinto beliefs of ascribing a living divine spirit to objects and creatures; and western media has plenty of it's own examples of walking talking things or animals. As you've noticed there are benefits such as driving interest through tangential learning which might not otherwise have existed.

I say, more power to it, because I think the concept fundamentally satirizes militerism; attempts to convey melancholic "tragedy and heroism" notwithstanding, as we've seen it fundamentally fails.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, that was it. I discovered it a few years ago because I'm a naval historian who occasionally needs to search for pictures of ships and those searches kept turning up weird anime poo poo and I made the mistake of not ignoring that fact.

IIRC this can *only* happen if google knows you watch anime or play anime styled games.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Stravag posted:

Last i knew transformers didnt have their clothes come off the more damage they took

This isn't specific to anime and I don't see how this is relevant. Plastic_Gargoyle didn't say "gently caress fanservice in anime", in which case I'd be in total agreement with as fanservice isn't integral to the medium in any sense, but saying "gently caress shipgirls" because I dunno, "My precious history!" I'm not sure which criticism to take more seriously when it seems identical to that Japanese director's complaint of a lack of "tragedy and heroism" just with a different coat of paint.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Smiling Jack posted:

shut up weirdos

Let the first poster who hasn't been a weirdo at some point cast the first shitpost!