Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

This movie looks loving amazing

Everything John Woo made in Hong Kong is like this, definitely check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Everything John Woo made in Hong Kong is like this, definitely check it out.

It's not a john woo movie, although it's similar and in that vein

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I've been looking for years for this short story that I think was posted in FYAD maybe? In the early 2000s I think. It was basically an account of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper, and the twist ending is that it was Don Mclean who shot the plane down and then coldly executed the survivors. It was very silly and self-serious. I have found it impossible to google.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

rockear posted:

I've been looking for years for this short story that I think was posted in FYAD maybe? In the early 2000s I think. It was basically an account of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper, and the twist ending is that it was Don Mclean who shot the plane down and then coldly executed the survivors. It was very silly and self-serious. I have found it impossible to google.

Found it quoted in a TFR post from 2012:

BrianM87 posted:

I'm assuming this is what you're talking about. It's from the Overheard stupid poo poo thread.

quote:

Hey, guys. Sorry to bring this back up, but I read Totoro's post this AM, and it's been buzzing around in my brain all day.

So here. Not Nipsy Russell and Conoco Oil present:

"The Death of Buddy Holly"
---------------------------------------------------------

When Big Bopper finally opened his eyes, he wished he'd kept them closed. The darkness was unbearable, suffocating; worse even than the piercing cold. Under the cold, a dull, pulsing pain all over his body. He panicked for a moment, not realizing where he was. Iowa. Airplane. Snow. He was in snow. No, he realized, his senses returning, he was under the snow. Slowly, Bopper sat up, clearing the snow from his face, and looked around.
It should have been pitch black: the plane had taken off just short of one A.M. However, the air was filled with strong gusting snow which caught the moonlight and filled the sky with a thin, grey glow. Looking to his left, Bopper saw that the glow was much brighter. It had to be the plane. The snow was blowing too thickly to see much, but he could see from the glow that he was in a wide, open field.
Iowa.
Cornfield.
They couldn't have gotten very far; they'd only been in the air for about an hour. Half an hour too long, thought Bopper. He'd gotten cold feet, and they were in the air too long. He'd screwed up the plan. Despite the storm, despite the hour, there would be people coming. There had to be people coming. This thought steeled him. He had to act now; there was still a chance he could make this work. As Bopper stiffly tried to rise, his left knee suddenly buckled with stabbing pain, and he dropped down on his right, catching himself in the powdery snow. Slowly, Big fella, slowly. Bopper stayed upright this time, the wind now whipping the thin cotton of his slacks against his legs. To his left, the fiery remnants of the plane were no more than fifty yards off, the billowing smoke mingling with the blowing snow. Bopper was also surprised to see the pack and parachute a few yards away. The snow covered the silk, anchoring it. He did not remember taking the pack off, but he must have. Seeing it so near, he wondered where Valens could be. Big Bopper wrapped his leather jacket around him against the knifing wind, and started limping towards the glowing wreck.
Valens. Jesus that guy never shut up. He wasn't even supposed to be on the plane. No big deal, though. Not much of a loss there. Guy only really had the one song. Jesus, what the hell did that song even mean? Big Bopper knew enough Mexican; hell every good Texan did, but La Bamba? The thought of the song title made Bopper giggle a little. No doubt, that little wetback sure did a “La Bamba” right out the side of that plane, that's for sure. Or a swan dive, or something. He remembered the plane diving and bucking like mad, and standing in the doorway putting the chute pack on. He'd started to jump when Valens grabbed him, snarling. “There's only one, man! No voy a morir, hijo de puta!” Bopper had jumped, Valens clinging to his legs for a few seconds of falling. Bopper had been terrified that he was falling too fast, but couldn't shake Valens off his knees. Bopper remembered considering going for the gun in the pack, but that's when Valens suddenly fell free into the churning snow-filled void below.
The gun.
“Son of a bitch. The gun”.
Bopper had forgotten it in the pack, now several yards behind him. Wincing from the pain, Bopper turned into the wind, and went back for it. By now, his hands were raw and aching; his face stinging. In the side pocket, he found it. A 1932 Colt Woodsman, with a full magazine of ten rounds, a five inch barrel, and adjustable rear target sight. He tucked into an inside pocket of his jacket, its firm weight filling him with renewed confidence. He still felt this had gotten way over his head. But no matter what, Big Bopper was going to finish the job. And right now, the job was Buddy Holly.
By the time Big Bopper reached the plane, the storm had died down considerably. He could hear his footsteps in the snow over the breeze. He did not hear sounds of rescue, which both reassured him and worried him. It meant there was still time to do what he'd promised. But Bopper was also ready to be finished with the whole thing. I'm a singer, for Pete's sake! An entertainer. I'm no killer. But he'd made a solemn promise. And above all, he thought, I'm a Texan. A Texan does as a Texan says. If killin's what I talk, then killin's what I walk. He'd just made that up, and the songwriter in him was very pleased. His newfound confidence made the pain in his knee, his face and his hands more bearable. His walk to the wreckage of the plane went faster than he thought.
Bopper did not have to look long before he saw him. Holly had somehow managed to pull himself to a sitting position against a large section of fuselage. The fire was close enough that it was reasonably warm, and the smashed wall of the plane blocked most of the wind. But, Jesus, Holly was a mess! Both of his legs were bent completely wrong. His bloody and torn pants appeared to be the only things holding his lower body in one piece. Above the right knee, Bopper thought he saw the dull white end of bone sticking through the gabardine of Holly's slacks. He wasn't sure; he'd looked away quickly, fighting down the urge to puke. All the snow around him was a deep wine red. Bopper couldn't see Holly's wounds, but from the looks of things, there were many, and they were deep. Holly's face was the worst, though. The right side was a shocking welt of bright tomato red blood and pulped flesh. Strangely, Holly's thick rimmed glasses had not come off. Rather, they were broken in half, with the left side still perched between his ear and nose. The right side was completely gone, as was the eye underneath. Only a ruin of bone and tissue marked where his other eye had been.
Oh, God, thought Big Bopper, thank you. He's gone. Nothing to do but walk out, and tell my miracle story. Standing there, in the cold, looking down on the shattered remains of the writer of such hits as “Peggy Sue”, and “Oh Boy!”, Bopper imagined what would come next. A rescue. Recovery in some Iowa hospital. A nation in mourning. And then, the tour! THE tour! The Buddy Holly Memorial Tour, featuring J.P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson. And best of all, he'd sing Buddy Holly's songs! Finally, no more “One hit Wonder” crap! No more of Holly's mocking little poo poo voice singing, “Oh Baby, That's all You Write”. It was turning out just like he'd been told. Hell, he'd even sing “La Bamba!”
At that thought, Bopper snickered.
Holly stirred,
Holly groaned. Oh, Christ, thought Bopper. It's never that easy
“Hey! Hey, Buddy!”
Holly groaned again. Bopper leaned in close. He could see Holly's good eye, shooting left, right, up down.
“Buddy! Can you hear me?”. Bopper leaned in close now, kneeling on his right knee in the snow, next to Holly.
“Bop-p-per? Oh God, I can't see. I can't see! Bopper, is that you?”
“Its me, Buddy! I'm right here. There's been a plane crash. You're, uh, you're safe for now”. Bopper was surprised at how easily the lie came to him.
“Bopper. Where did you go, Bopper? I saw you leave the plane. With Ritchie. Where's Ritchie?”
“Ritchie... Ritchie didn't make it”.
“Oh, God. Oh, Lord. Bopper, what did you do?”
This puzzled Big Bopper. “What do you mean 'what did I do”?
“The plane. You did it. I know you did. You've always hated me”.
Bopper stumbled for something to say. Holly was right, but he didn't want to admit it. It was, after all, why he'd agreed to do this whole thing. But the plane crash?
“Not my doing, Buddy. I don't know what happened”. At least that much was the truth.
“No way. You had 'chute. You knew.”
Bopper stood back up, and looked down at the slumping Holly. He found his hand reaching unthinkingly to the gun in his jacket.
“You just wait a minute, Buddy. That's a hell of a thing to say. Just like you, I got a career to think of, I ain't got no reason to crash my own plane.”
Holly gurgled. It took a second, but Bopper recognized what it was, and it immediately filled him with rage. It was laughter.
Bopper exploded.
“You listen to me, you cardigan-wearing gently caress! I've taken enough of your poo poo for too long. You take a crap, and out pops a new hit single. Well, I've got news for you, Buddy loving Holly, Some of us actually have to work at this job.” Bopper had the Colt in his hand. Without thinking, he had slid the safety off, and pointed the pistol one-handed at Holly's chest.
“Bopper. Bopper. Calm down. We can talk. Sorry for laugh-”
“You ain't half as Goddamned sorry as you're going to be, you son of a bitch, you!” Without thinking, Bopper fired the gun. The little hollow point .22lr round flew from the barrel at an approximate sea-level velocity of 1040 feet per second, piercing the snowy night with a crack. In a few short feet, it hit Holly off to the left of his sternum, the hollow point expanding. As it did so, the deformation of the bullet caused it to yaw, forcing the bullet to turn almost at right angles to its original entry path. The rotation of the bullet, imparted by the 1 in 8.25 inch rifling in the Colt Woodsman's barrel, caused the bullet to continue its yawing and diverting throughout Buddy Holly's chest and abdomen. Though Buddy Holly's torso was only about eight inches from front to back, by the time all of its deadly energy was expended, the little .22lr round had travelled approximately a quarter mile, coming to rest against Buddy Holly's spleen.
“gently caress. Oh gently caress, Bopper. Your song. I like your song. Don't shoot me. Like your song”.
Bopper was trembling with rage, the pistol still trained on Buddy Holly's chest. “You like my song so Goddamned much? Sing it then, you curly-haired freak. You always loving said 'Everyone's got one good song in 'em'. So sing my loving one hit song!” Bopper stood over Holly, panting slightly, his breath coming in puffs of white. He waited for a response. “Sing it, you dead motherfucker!”
Holly's voice was now faint. “Closer. Closer.”
Bopper, hesitated, unsure. He kneeled, wincing at the pain shooting through his left knee. He finally got down even with Holly's tortured face.
“Closer.”
Bopper leaned in, his ear inches from Holly's wet red lips. “Let's hear my song, Buddy. Sing it”.
“Closer...Every.. Day. It'sa gettin' … closer.. faster … than ..roller coaster.” Bopper's face turned an ugly purple. He stood straight up, his face twisted with fury. He gripped the pistol with both hands now, aiming it directly at Holly's good eye, and jerked the trigger. A gout of flame erupted from the tapered, weighted barrel, sending a second forty grain hollow point into Buddy Holly. This time, the yawing, twisting bullet wreaked havoc in Holly's head, caroming off the inside of his skull, utterly destroying the mind responsible for so many safe, parentally-approved pop songs.
“You don't even know my song, you cocksucker! You don't even know it! It's Chantilly.. <BANG>...loving..<BANG>...Lace<BANG>... with a ponytail<BANG> Hanging down<BANG> you hip gently caress! You goddamned pinko beboping gently caress<BANG>. Well guess what? I'm American Rock and Roll now, and there's not a loving thing you can do about it! At this, Bopper yanked the trigger spasmodically, until the little gun's magazine was empty.
Big Bopper stood in the snow, spent. His arms fell to his sides, the pistol dropping into the snow by his feet. There was no question. Buddy was dead. Fame was coming. Bopper felt empty.
He was still standing there minutes later, illuminated by the now dying flames all around him. He was gathering the courage to walk out to a road to find help. It was still dark, but the storm had died almost completely, and he was pretty certain he knew what direction the nearest town was in. Bopper sniffed, wiped his nose, and turned to go. His ears were still ringing from the gunfire. He was therefore surprised as he turned to see a man on a motorcycle behind him at the far edge of the field of still smoldering debris. The bike's engine was still, the headlight off, but by then the skies had cleared enough for moonlight to bathe the bike, the rider, and the rest of the field in a pale blue-white glimmer. The rider swung off the bike, and walked towards Big Bopper. Bopper couldn't see the rider's helmeted face. However he could see a long rifle slung diagonally across the rider's back. Bopper stiffened; he wasn't ready. His story wasn't going to explain the bullet-ridden body of Buddy Holly behind him. Bopper patted his coat for the gun, and realized it was at his feet. He froze, not daring to stoop down and pick it up.
The rider stepped into the ring of orange light cast by the embers of the fuselage behind Bopper, and removed his helmet. Immediately, Bopper relaxed.
“Goddamn, son. You gave me a scare. We need to get the gently caress out of here, and drat quick. Maybe there's still enough of a fire to toss Holly in there so they don't find all the bullet-”
“You hosed up, Bopper,” the rider said quietly. Bopper's mouth snapped shut.
“You were supposed to do Holly, Valens, and the pilot no later than half an hour after takeoff. You hosed it up,” The rider let the rifle sling slip down one shoulder, catching it with his left hand.
Bopper found his voice. “Half an hour's too quick. I needed time..”
“Time you weren't given. I had no way of knowing if you would even come through. The 'Winter Dance Party' Tour could never be allowed to reach Appleton, Wisconson for reasons way beyond your thick Texas skull. I relied on you. I set it all up for you. But you... needed more time,” the rider pulled the bolt back on the rifle briskly, sending a glinting brass shell into the sky over his shoulder. “I had no choice. I had to take action.” He snapped the bolt back forward, the muzzle of the rifle now pointed directly at Big Bopper's chest.
Bopper's jaw fell open. “No way. With that?” Bopper pointed at the wood and steel rifle.
“God you're thick, Bopper. For a Texan, you know jack poo poo about guns. This is an Arisaka Type 99 chambered in 7.7x58mm Arisaka. You can see the intact mum, even in this light. While not an ideal caliber for shooting down airplanes, the 7.7x58 has a muzzle velocity of just over 2400 feet per second.” He gestured at two tiny arms, extending to either side of the rear sight. “These make it much easier, though.”
“My God,” said Bopper, taking a step back. “Oh my God.” Bopper paused, and then, “We can still make it work. Help me with the body. The plan can still work.”
“Bopper, it's over. Everyone's got one good song in them. You had yours. Now I need mine”
Big Bopper's face brightened for a moment. He stepped around Holly's shattered legs, closer to the rider. “Hey! Great idea! You can tour with me. It'll be Bopper and McLean! We can both sing Buddy's songs! Then after the memorial tour, we can write new ones together! Whaddaya say, Don? You and me!”
Don McLean brought the rifle up to his shoulder. Even in the flickering ghostly light, Don could see how white Big Bopper had turned as his finger tightened on the trigger. “Sure Bopper. That'll be the day.”

Fin.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
hahaha awesome thank you!

edit: wow that is even weirder and more hosed up than i remembered it.

rockear fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 4, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lmao at the detail to ammo. Yeah, that tracks

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That is a beautiful love letter to early web urban legends about guns, just needs somebody getting an arm ripped off by the wake of a .50 cal passing a meter to their side

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
It's not really a white whale, and I'm pretty sure I read it here but I can't find it. Its a story about an artist/writer/musician who happened to be at the Stonewall riots and joined in because (I'm paraphrasing) "It didn't really matter why people were throwing rocks at the cops". <- not the exact phrase. It's not Dave Van Ronk.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

yaffle posted:

It's not really a white whale, and I'm pretty sure I read it here but I can't find it. Its a story about an artist/writer/musician who happened to be at the Stonewall riots and joined in because (I'm paraphrasing) "It didn't really matter why people were throwing rocks at the cops". <- not the exact phrase. It's not Dave Van Ronk.

Everything I've ever seen along those lines credits it to Dave Van Ronk. Are you absolutely certain you're not thinking of him?

https://www.villagepreservation.org/2022/06/13/dave-van-ronk-ally-at-the-stonewall-uprising/

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Back again because I just remembered a mystery that has perplexed me. It's not so much finding something half-remembered as it is identifying something obscure.

In high school I stumbled upon the Newgrounds Audio Portal and ended up with some random music downloaded that I really dug. One of the songs that I really fell in love with was this trance song called Where You From..., which I've uploaded for your listening pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9FiWGy3-t8

I can't find the original page this song is from, though luckily I was pretty anal about metadata in high school so I found the artist's Reverbnation page, but what I really want to find out is where the vocals in this song are from. It feels like I should know, because the voices and dialogue sound so familiar, but no matter how much I try and Google the words in the song it doesn't seem to match any movies that come up. Does anyone know what it's from?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Back again because I just remembered a mystery that has perplexed me. It's not so much finding something half-remembered as it is identifying something obscure.

In high school I stumbled upon the Newgrounds Audio Portal and ended up with some random music downloaded that I really dug. One of the songs that I really fell in love with was this trance song called Where You From..., which I've uploaded for your listening pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9FiWGy3-t8

I can't find the original page this song is from, though luckily I was pretty anal about metadata in high school so I found the artist's Reverbnation page, but what I really want to find out is where the vocals in this song are from. It feels like I should know, because the voices and dialogue sound so familiar, but no matter how much I try and Google the words in the song it doesn't seem to match any movies that come up. Does anyone know what it's from?

Easy Rider

The original page, since deleted it looks like.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 4, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Zathril posted:

Easy Rider

The original page, since deleted it looks like.

Thank you so, so much! I knew it sounded familiar and from that era, so I must have seen clips! My mind kept going to James Dean but I watched Rebel Without A Cause recently and it wasn't that. drat, now I'm gonna have to go watch Easy Rider. Thanks for going above and beyond and finding the original page, too!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I just watched a Youtube about 'Like the Wind' aka 'The Most Mysterious Song on the Internet'. It's a post punk/new wave song, pretty catchy too. it looks like it was played on German radio exactly once, probably in 1984. A teenager recorded the song, along with other current hits on a cassette tape.

Reddit has been looking for the band or person behind the song since 2019, and haven't gotten far. Greek band Statues in Motion tried to take credit for it, but has exactly nothing to back up their claim. Viennese singer Christian Brandl and drummer Ronnie Urini have also tried to claim the song, but got nothing except typewritten lyrics of an unknown German version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBEoZ1heH-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbnUtf7rdW4

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Everything I've ever seen along those lines credits it to Dave Van Ronk. Are you absolutely certain you're not thinking of him?

https://www.villagepreservation.org/2022/06/13/dave-van-ronk-ally-at-the-stonewall-uprising/

Now I read your link, yeah, I guess it was Dave Van Ronk, thanks.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Some British ad, from I think the 90s, that has a song, going,

Choc-o-layte (mmm mm mm mm mmmm, mmm mm mm mm mmmm!) Choc-o-layt!

Sort of deep baritone, African chant style?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mid-1990s, probably. Likely ESPN. Might have been an early This is SportsCenter ad.

Someone is singing crooner-style version of songs at sporting arenas. Might have been all baseball. One is a Dean Martin-ish version of the Darryl Strawberry Daarrrrylll chant.

For those unfamiliar, this chant was everywhere Strawberry was from here in 1986 to the end of his career . The Simpsons even referenced it.

Anyway, I thought about this ad out of the blue and am looking for it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe I've re-imagined this out of recognizability but here goes:

Character A says they are actually a liar and need to be honest about something. Character B interrupts by asking about a specific thing to which A says no, that one's actually true, starts talking again only to have Character B or C then interrupt ask about another thing, to which A replies no, that's true also. It may have gone on a bit more like this.

Kind of like this Rick and Morty scene but with more interruptions and an actual lie.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Mid-1990s, probably. Likely ESPN. Might have been an early This is SportsCenter ad.

Someone is singing crooner-style version of songs at sporting arenas. Might have been all baseball. One is a Dean Martin-ish version of the Darryl Strawberry Daarrrrylll chant.

For those unfamiliar, this chant was everywhere Strawberry was from here in 1986 to the end of his career . The Simpsons even referenced it.

Anyway, I thought about this ad out of the blue and am looking for it.

This one? I've seen the Simpsons bit before but didn't know it was a real thing.

Zathril fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 6, 2024

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Zathril posted:

This one? I've seen the Simpsons bit before but didn't know it was a real thing.

Holy cow. That's it. Didn't realize it was a young (and reasonably sane) Olbermann.

Wouldn't have thought that a two-second bit would pop up in my memory 30 years later.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

!Klams posted:

Some British ad, from I think the 90s, that has a song, going,

Choc-o-layte (mmm mm mm mm mmmm, mmm mm mm mm mmmm!) Choc-o-layt!

Sort of deep baritone, African chant style?

Are you thinking of Vitalite, rather than chocolate? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0zN4nXXvSc

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Sanford posted:

Are you thinking of Vitalite, rather than chocolate? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0zN4nXXvSc

Ha, no, but absolutely along the right lines. very similar, but a little bit more funky, and saying chocolate but really sounding out the syllables, Choc - o - let

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRcla7boyE4&t=11s

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

HAHAHAH gently caress! YES! Omg, I don't even really recognise the advert, but that tune plays in my head constantly for some reason, and it's always impossible to purge an earworm like that without listening to it for me, this is great! I kept thinking it was a hot chocolate advert, but no, it was just cadburys all along! AAhhhhhh thankyou!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

There was a Windows drawing program with a kind of generic cartoon avatar that led you through a drawing tutorial to get you to see all the things it had. I want to say he was purple, and at one point he rides a minecart/roller coaster, it just barely ran on our computer (Windows 3.1 I think) at the time and then we never bothered to install it when we upgraded.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

There was a Windows drawing program with a kind of generic cartoon avatar that led you through a drawing tutorial to get you to see all the things it had. I want to say he was purple, and at one point he rides a minecart/roller coaster, it just barely ran on our computer (Windows 3.1 I think) at the time and then we never bothered to install it when we upgraded.

It sounds like you're describing McZee and the program might be Fine Artist or something else from the Microsoft Home range.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Relevant Tangent posted:

We actually discussed that earlier in the thread!

Can't count it again because somebody had to beat me

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 7, 2024

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I think I asked it before in this thread, but there's a weird, professionally produced music video I remember from maybe ~2011 or so? It was on Vimeo, and it was an instrumental rock song and the entire video was a remarkably explicit bit about a woman getting progressively more and more intimate with a guitar, stripping down until she was basically grinding it while naked.

I swear this isn't goon sourcing porn, it's just something that's stuck in my head ever since I saw it because of just how explicit it was for being on Vimeo and 'girl grinding guitar naked music video' isn't exactly the most useful google search...

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
okay, here's a wild one that I just can't find on the internet anymore, I had it at one time but it's gone

There is a german channel that's like Hallmark and they make movies that are based on books written by an Irish woman about horse vets that takes place in Cold Spring/Beacon New York.

I used to live there and when they filmed movies they'd shut down the whole town

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

okay, here's a wild one that I just can't find on the internet anymore, I had it at one time but it's gone

There is a german channel that's like Hallmark and they make movies that are based on books written by an Irish woman about horse vets that takes place in Cold Spring/Beacon New York.

I used to live there and when they filmed movies they'd shut down the whole town

Katie Fforde: https://www.zdf-studios.com/en/program-catalog/international/drama/collections/love-romance/katie-fforde

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

https://highlandscurrent.org/2011/07/18/german-film-crew/

> The German film company, Network Movie, set up on Cold Spring’s Main Street Tuesday (July 12) to shoot scenes for the first in a series of three, 90-minute, German-language, made-for-television movies based on the work of the British romance novelist Katie Forde.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
gottdam you're fast!

Thanks so much goons, I'm going to make a playlist for my friends :D

FaxMachina
Nov 14, 2005

BLOOPER DRINKS TOO MUCH TRUTH
There was an ancient CYOA story that involved a Bronze Age god that was called the madgod. I don't recall if it even had a conclusion, but I can't find anything in google or archives that it even existed. Does anyone have a summary of that story?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

FaxMachina posted:

There was an ancient CYOA story that involved a Bronze Age god that was called the madgod. I don't recall if it even had a conclusion, but I can't find anything in google or archives that it even existed. Does anyone have a summary of that story?

The Land Between the Rivers - You are the MadGod?

ishikabibble posted:

I think I asked it before in this thread, but there's a weird, professionally produced music video I remember from maybe ~2011 or so? It was on Vimeo, and it was an instrumental rock song and the entire video was a remarkably explicit bit about a woman getting progressively more and more intimate with a guitar, stripping down until she was basically grinding it while naked.

I swear this isn't goon sourcing porn, it's just something that's stuck in my head ever since I saw it because of just how explicit it was for being on Vimeo and 'girl grinding guitar naked music video' isn't exactly the most useful google search...

“030” by The Good The Bad?

Zathril fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 8, 2024

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Fuoco posted:

It sounds like you're describing McZee and the program might be Fine Artist or something else from the Microsoft Home range.

yes hahaha yess

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So after stumbling into the Transformers Wiki today, I remembered an old Transformers toy I or rather my older brother had, but after looking around a bit, I couldn't find it. I don't want to find the actual toy again, I think it probably still exists in a box somewhere, but I never actually knew the name of that particular character, so I figure it might be time to solve that old, old mystery.

While I would have played with it in the first half of the 1990's, it might have been from earlier than that, since it belonged to my older brother. It was... of decent size, not one I'd call either notably big or small, but I also don't know what different sizes Transformers came in back in those days. Its vehicle form was a military-like vehicle, no normal kind of car, but it wasn't a tank either, and it might have had a third form but I am very unsure about this. The colour of the vehicle form's hull was mainly dark green, with some red "windows". It had a grey rocket that could be attached to the top of the vehicle, and also split in two to serve as large guns for the robot form. It also had a mini-bot in its stomach, which I remember as light gray with kinda thin orange arms and legs, which you folded in when putting it in its slot on the robot. I don't remember if it was an Autobot or Decepticon.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

KennyMan666 posted:

So after stumbling into the Transformers Wiki today, I remembered an old Transformers toy I or rather my older brother had, but after looking around a bit, I couldn't find it. I don't want to find the actual toy again, I think it probably still exists in a box somewhere, but I never actually knew the name of that particular character, so I figure it might be time to solve that old, old mystery.

While I would have played with it in the first half of the 1990's, it might have been from earlier than that, since it belonged to my older brother. It was... of decent size, not one I'd call either notably big or small, but I also don't know what different sizes Transformers came in back in those days. Its vehicle form was a military-like vehicle, no normal kind of car, but it wasn't a tank either, and it might have had a third form but I am very unsure about this. The colour of the vehicle form's hull was mainly dark green, with some red "windows". It had a grey rocket that could be attached to the top of the vehicle, and also split in two to serve as large guns for the robot form. It also had a mini-bot in its stomach, which I remember as light gray with kinda thin orange arms and legs, which you folded in when putting it in its slot on the robot. I don't remember if it was an Autobot or Decepticon.

Doubledealer

https://tfu.info/1988/Decepticon/Doubledealer/doubledealer.htm
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Doubledealer#The_Transformers

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Sherbert Hoover posted:

2) A paintball place in a forest where someone is using live rounds and they have to be stopped.

Hello, post from 2022. I come from the future.

Is it Masterblaster (1987)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKvIvVvAQ-I

I know of it through this incredible book of UK VHS Box scans that has been a goldmine in helping me find alternate titles for films and some truly awesome trash.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

That is absolutely the one, now that I see the bird form I recognize it completely and remember that if you had the arms slightly folded inwards you could have him be a humanoid robot with wings, and even with the bird head if you folded his head down. Also remember that detachable chestpiece. Pretty sure that winged minibot must have disappeared at some point though, because I do not remember that at all. EDIT: What I *do* remember is that to do some action to use the bird form we had to manually push a button in the minibot compartment, which we usually used Knok's arm for. So, yeah, Skar was missing since putting that there was what was supposed to unlock that form.

I think I even clicked into the Powermaster page on the TF Wiki, but didn't look closely enough on it.

So there's that old question solved, thanks!

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 8, 2024

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Zathril posted:

“030” by The Good The Bad?

That's it! It's somehow even more explicit than my memory remembered it being.

https://vimeo.com/15252531 :nws: obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Ok I KNOW there was a Lonely Island sketch where they’re on a stakeout with and one of them jokingly suggests “heh, what are we gonna do, suck each other’s dicks?” and then it happens over and over. Very fake moustaches. It ends with them chasing a perp as their pants are unzipped and falling down. Could be wrong about it being Lonely Island but I recall it being Jorma and Andy

I combed the “itt we’re on a stakeout” thread and didn’t see it posted