Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
There was a children's book I was read in the 80s in school about a village that lived in fear of a guy in armor who had a machine gun. A local troublemaking kid type dressed up in pots and pans and pretended to be the machine gun man to scare and exploit his town but the real machine gun man finds out and gets scared and he's actually a coward! And the troublemaking kid saves the day by accident.

I remember a rhyme with "run" and "machine gun" too that was like a chant or something the machine gun man would say?

It sticks out in my memory so strongly and I have never been able to find the name or even any proof I didn't make this up entirely in my own head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confidently Queer
Apr 14, 2003

i am the luckiest shitheap in fyad.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUVi5OOIZeE

Protip: DuckDuckGo is sooooo much better at finding poo poo like this compared to Google. I searched for YEARS of this video from the 90s of these punk teens destroying these homes in this newly-developed housing area (throwing a bowling ball through a barney the dinosaur wall, microwaving a live fish, bashing poo poo in with bats) and it was a major news story in the early 90s but I could not find it for poo poo either from google search or by searching in youtube and found it immediately with DuckDuckGo.

You aren't kidding. I've been looking for the following video for years on Google without luck and found it in minutes on duckduckgo. I remember being laden with chicken pox and seeing it on Nickelodeon. Guess I found my white whale.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1z-XTeyV8Dk

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

Julius CSAR posted:

Also there's a clip on youtube of the "Power Glove" scene from "The Wizard" and when the dude says "I love the Power Glove, it's so bad" the "so bad" is just randomly slowed down by half so it's like "I love the power glove, it's sooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaddd"

Probably not what your looking for, but this reminded me of another video where that kid’s voice is overdubbed to be lower and he turns into a sheep when he says the Power Glove is bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzmLYHsAcZQ

StandardVC10 posted:

Oh, came up with another one! A while ago I was given the Half-Life 2 art book as a birthday present. Then I moved to another house, and the drat thing disappeared. I've looked pretty much everywhere my family has ever kept books, to no effect.

This doesn’t help you track down your copy, however if anyone else think this sounds interesting, the book is called Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Dangerous Minority posted:

There was a book I read in middle school about some kid on a trip to the desert with his dad who gets teleported to another planet or something. Bright flash of light, then he's alone in the middle of some jungle and has to learn to survive. He meets a tribe of people and starts living with them, then he gets captured by another group and eventually becomes their leader. He lives this whole life out there, gets married to some lady named Meg'haan or something, then gets teleported back at the end of the book. Reminded me a bit of the John Carter series.

I cannot for the life of me find this drat book again. I've been looking for years.

you’re thinking of The Transall Saga by Gary Paulsen

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Parahexavoctal posted:

Did the mice form religions really easily?

If so, this might be one of the backstory shorts from Seanan McGuire's "InCryptid" books.
Yeah that was the first thing everyone suggested. I've looked into it and I feel like what I've read had a different vibe. But sure, backstory short, that could well be.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
A short film where a guy gets mailed a sex bot in a box that he just goes to town on.

The joke being that the lady has this as a fetish and pretends to be a sex bot to get off and the husband storms in and is like

"A sex bot, are you loving retarded? Helen, get in the car we are going to couples therapy"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
there was a book i read when i was a kid and all i remember about it was a character named thaddeus blinn traveled into a town and gave 3 children a wish each and one of the kids wishes turned her love interest into a tree

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
As a kid, we had Windows computers at school that had a login/walled garden that was based around a school-themed GUI - the login screen had the image of a school bus and accessing the internet was with (I think) a globe. I remember there being a desk where files were kept. I want to say we were running Windows 95 or 98, but it could be slightly earlier.

The login sound had the typical Windows 95 startup sound when you got in.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018
A book that was a collection of creepy stories for kids that I read in elementary school so sometime in the mid to late 2000's. The only stories I remember from it are one about this kid who attends a school for wizards or something, and at the end he finds that when they graduate the creepy floating hand that's the principal of the school is going to snatch the last kid in line to keep forever. The kid solves this by telling the hand that there's one more kid behind him, and has the hand grab his shadow to keep forever. Another story is about someone who makes a violin or something out of a special wood and he becomes cursed and dies or something, I forgot.

My second book is more interesting.I got it at the school library around the same time. The title definitely implies that it's about the characters from a fantasy series. It has a bio section for each character and species, lots of art, etc. I never ended up checking out the series though, and I can't remember the name of it either. I remember an entry for a vicious plant that had teeth and would eat people that wandered into it, but it was stationary and looked like it could have been a real plant which made it seem more scary. There was an entry for a clan called "The Grey Ones or something similar. They were a small army of grely donned solders with stoic expressions, I think they used a bolas or something as a weapon. Anyone have any idea about this one?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Awful CompSloth posted:

A book that was a collection of creepy stories for kids that I read in elementary school so sometime in the mid to late 2000's. The only stories I remember from it are one about this kid who attends a school for wizards or something, and at the end he finds that when they graduate the creepy floating hand that's the principal of the school is going to snatch the last kid in line to keep forever. The kid solves this by telling the hand that there's one more kid behind him, and has the hand grab his shadow to keep forever. Another story is about someone who makes a violin or something out of a special wood and he becomes cursed and dies or something, I forgot.
Maybe Bruce Colville's Book of Nightmares? There were a couple of these, YA horror collections with some good stories.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Vacation photos from like ~10 years of me and my girlfriend. They were on my old laptop, I transferred all those files to an external HD when I bought a new one and ever since they're gone. :iiam:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

When I was a kid I remember watching a film that really disturbed me. I never found out which film it was and figured it was some obscure B movie.

UNTIL earlier this year I watched the film The Pervert's Guide To Cinema and realized it was Blue Velvet by Stephen Lynch. I'll watch it one of these days when I feel like watching a Lynch movie.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

anybody remember this video but with rick ross everyday i'm hustlin playing over it? i had it saved on my youtube favorites but it's been deleted and the wayback machine didn't grab it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcGG5E4iN8g

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

Awful CompSloth posted:

My second book is more interesting.I got it at the school library around the same time. The title definitely implies that it's about the characters from a fantasy series. It has a bio section for each character and species, lots of art, etc. I never ended up checking out the series though, and I can't remember the name of it either. I remember an entry for a vicious plant that had teeth and would eat people that wandered into it, but it was stationary and looked like it could have been a real plant which made it seem more scary. There was an entry for a clan called "The Grey Ones or something similar. They were a small army of grely donned solders with stoic expressions, I think they used a bolas or something as a weapon. Anyone have any idea about this one?

This is a complete stab in the dark, as I’ve never read the series, but possibly Deltora Quest by Emily Rodda? It has carnivorous plants called Grippers, and small soldier platoons called Grey Guards. The series has an illustrated book of monsters and one on how to draw them too. Anyway, good luck.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

gary oldmans diary posted:

there was a book i read when i was a kid and all i remember about it was a character named thaddeus blinn traveled into a town and gave 3 children a wish each and one of the kids wishes turned her love interest into a tree

It's called The Wish Giver, I read this too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Grevling posted:

When I was a kid I remember watching a film that really disturbed me. I never found out which film it was and figured it was some obscure B movie.

UNTIL earlier this year I watched the film The Pervert's Guide To Cinema and realized it was Blue Velvet by Stephen Lynch. I'll watch it one of these days when I feel like watching a Lynch movie.
David Lynch, although I'm sure that would be spectacular.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

My Lovely Horse posted:

David Lynch, although I'm sure that would be spectacular.

Lol I always mix them up

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
an old discovery channel promo (prob late 90s maybe early 00s), I remember a line going "as science is expanding at an ever increasing rate, the golden age of science is now", british voiceover I think

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

teen witch posted:

As a kid, we had Windows computers at school that had a login/walled garden that was based around a school-themed GUI - the login screen had the image of a school bus and accessing the internet was with (I think) a globe. I remember there being a desk where files were kept. I want to say we were running Windows 95 or 98, but it could be slightly earlier.

The login sound had the typical Windows 95 startup sound when you got in.

LGR has done a video on this I think, have a look through his Catalog

https://www.youtube.com/user/phreakindee

Goodluck

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

This can be kind of obscure: There was a total conversion mod for Total War: Rome (the first one) which turned it into a some faux-asian mythological setting with pseudo-japanese, indians, all sort of eastern fantasy tropes with demons and dragons and poo poo. The work was so impressive, Creative Assembly hired the guy and mod was abandoned. What I'm looking for is a picture for one of the loading screens. It was made in traditional Japanese style (and might actually be some authentic painting for all I know) and depicted a wild faced samurai with a sword surrounded by skeletons, leaping at him through windows and holes in the walls. I think it depicted a nightmare this dude had.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Jestery posted:

LGR has done a video on this I think, have a look through his Catalog

https://www.youtube.com/user/phreakindee

Goodluck

I’m a huge LGR fan and unfortunately he hasn’t. Ironically enough, he’s why I’m trying to find the name of it.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
There was a song that I downloaded from download.com (It might have been merged with cent by then) and all I remember is that the guy sings something about 'your boyfriend' [to a girl]. I really liked that song but don't remember the band or name or any of the other lyrics.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
There was an Italian fantasy telemovie by the name of Desideria and the Dragon Ring that played on Australian TV back in the nineties and I have been trying to find the subtitled version (or maybe it was dubbed I cannot remember) ever since but to no avail. I really wanna watch it again despite it more than likely not holding up but I can't speak Italian.
It had a nice soundtrack too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gzNPIXH7mo

ilikefood
Jun 28, 2008

shelley posted:

p sure this is Bio Apocalypse

forum thread (requires archives)

just the PDF

Yup, this is it. Thanks!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Taking a wild swing at the first one, could it be, Ruby - Tiny Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VErOaxgpGD0

If not then: I can't directly help you, but I can sort of help you get some of the way there.
Here is a website that lists hits from 1996 and on from q101
http://www.radiohitlist.com/Q101/Q101-1996.htm

It might be helpful to check you kroq's lists. They are longer and go back to the 80's
http://www.radiohitlist.com/KROQ/KROQ-1995.htm

Web Archive - only can get to 1993
https://web.archive.org/web/20141018161224/https://q101.com/2014/10/q101s-top-101-songs-of-1993/

a discogs - huge rear end discogs lists
https://www.discogs.com/lists/Q101-1992-2011/318335?page=1

Sorry man it's like a big game of subtraction
Sorry I can't help you any further

Not Tiny Meat- I actually own Salt Peter tho!

Both of these songs were more college indie. I appreciate the resources and will maybe dig around tonight l, see if I can’t track em down.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

There's a little animated thing that looks like it's from a children's book. It's a red fox chasing (I think) a white rabbit, but it's all very scribbly and lacks tons of detail. My brain says it's on a yellow background. The fox makes a clockwise semi-circle after the rabbit from the top-center-ish? of the "page".

Never have found it. Can't even tell you what it's from. The art kind of reminds me of Lon Po Po, that old kid's picture book from way back when.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
can someone remind me what my avatar is from? i knew at one point but it has slipped my mind

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I remember playing what I think was a tech demo, but I don't remember what graphics card it was for - you were a dolphin swimming underwater with other dolphins, and could get a burst of speed temporarily as you swam around. If you swam upwards to the surface of the water, you'd leap into the air and transform into a bird and then fly around as a bird. If you dove into the water as the bird, you'd transform back into a dolphin.

It blew my mind at the time - I think this was circa '98 or '99? - and I'd love to see/play it again but I don't remember what the card was or what the tech demo was called.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I also have this memory of a sci fi show from way back. It took place at a very very high wall in the desert iirc. I don't remember much of it. I almost think it was an outer limits episode. There was for certain an OL episode with robots in a prison or something but that wasn't it.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Underpants with an internet connection and a camera that takes pictures of my rear end continuously and sends them to my enemies and the underpants are technically owned by a foreign consulate so my enemies have no legal means to stop the rear end pictures.

Might have been a Sony but not sure

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
It was a song that sounded a lot like A Whiter Shade of Pale, but had a rad guitar solo at the end. Instrumental if I remember right. Heard it once in like 2010 and haven't been able to find it since.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

It was a song that sounded a lot like A Whiter Shade of Pale, but had a rad guitar solo at the end. Instrumental if I remember right. Heard it once in like 2010 and haven't been able to find it since.

Freebird?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding about Duckduckgo. I've been searching for this commercial for years and I found in two minutes with this crazy search engine.

Anyway, enjoy my whale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS19VG5qhuM

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Hoooooly crap you're right, I found mine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7hzyr0tttU

It was a Levi's commercial! I always thought it was for Nike or another sportswear company

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Earwicker posted:

late 80's/earlyt 90's top down space shooter for the Amiga (and probably Atari ST and C64) where you pilot a very fast ship around and jump through warp gates and either fight or collect varying kinds of polygons

kind of like asteroids but trippier. i think it came on a "Fred Fish" disk

Whirligig? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtdLLKHsDEM

As for me, there was some anime film we rented circa 1982, that had spaceships in the shape of sharks, flying through tunnels in asteroids and was about two guys wanting to kill each other with said ships. It ends with some woman and her child staring at a setting sun, which 5 year old me thought was the saddest thing ever.
I don't particularly give a poo poo about anime but I'm curious as to what it was called.

There's a song I've been searching for too, off some long lost mixtape. It was labelled as 'Old' by Scorn but going through their discography it isn't, and old as a search term is annoying as gently caress to try and get any results from. It was a death metal/veering into industrial compilation, but I've no idea if it was commercially released or the guy put it together himself. Song itself is an absolute monster guitar riff over some funky drumming, no vocals. I realise that's not going to be any help at all.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Goldskull posted:

Whirligig? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtdLLKHsDEM

As for me, there was some anime film we rented circa 1982, that had spaceships in the shape of sharks, flying through tunnels in asteroids and was about two guys wanting to kill each other with said ships. It ends with some woman and her child staring at a setting sun, which 5 year old me thought was the saddest thing ever.
I don't particularly give a poo poo about anime but I'm curious as to what it was called.

I googled '80s anime shark spaceships' and this came up https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_2772

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

like fifteen years ago there was a nice little autobiographical blog webcomic called malfunction junction by matt milby or trilby or something idk, it was very chill and i liked the art and i think it's gone forever now

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

like fifteen years ago there was a nice little autobiographical blog webcomic called malfunction junction by matt milby or trilby or something idk, it was very chill and i liked the art and i think it's gone forever now

It's a pain but most of them are still available through the wayback machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20051018071246/http://www.malfunctionjunction.net/

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://malfunctionjunction.net

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

These last few months I've been looking for a PDF, disc iso or even a mention about a computer magazine that had the Neverhood main character on the cover, probably from late 1996 or early 97. I'm almost sure it was a British issue of PC Zone. It included a CD with a yellow label with demos of Neverhood, Timelapse, Amok, also some Quake mods, a trial version of MAGIK music maker, and some other crap.

Nowhere to be found. Please blow my mind.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Super Waffle posted:

Hoooooly crap you're right, I found mine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7hzyr0tttU

It was a Levi's commercial! I always thought it was for Nike or another sportswear company

That's cool, Jonathan glazer owns