Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Zero chance that anyone has access to the footage, but years ago, maybe 15 or so, I saw something amazing. Flipping through channels on TV, my husband and I stumbled across a public access show featuring a guy in a full Darth Vader costume, on roller skates, dancing to a disco version of the Star Wars theme. It was strangely mesmerizing. Love to find out WTF gave someone that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Is it:
https://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Horse-Troy-Greek-Myths/dp/1404866701

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
It’s its own CD in the “areas of my expertise” audiobook, if that helps.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I used to work as a bookseller years ago, and back then, the difference I remember between trade and mass market paperbacks was how they were disposed of. Mass market books were treated like magazines - if you wanna return it, you literally tear off the cover, send it back to publisher, and toss the rest in the dumpster. This is why a lot of paperbacks have that “if you purchased this book without a cover” thing on the first page.

It was considered fine for us booksellers to take the inside of the book home with us, so I’ve got a couple shelves of coverless manga and a whole box of coverless true crime crap.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There was an old children's book, sort of Where's Waldo style consisting of a bunch of really busy pictures where you had to look closely to find specific characters. The theme was various cartoon fictional diseases all working their way through the human body, most being killed off by parts of the immune system along the way. Started with about 50 or so cartoon diseases, by the time you get to the brain on the last page all but about 3 have been killed off. One of the only ones that survives is Sarge, who disguises himself as one of the workers in the brain. Vandal was another one who made it either to the brain and survived or died the page before that.

Been passively trying to find it for the last decade or so with no luck.

Was it one of the usborne puzzle adventure books? Are you certain they were diseases, not germs?

Edit: Perhaps “Germs! An epic tale on a tiny scale”?

Domus fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 1, 2020

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The other is a two-player card game from the 1970s: it let you play WWI dogfights against each other. Each of you had a hand of cards. You both chose a move, and the combination of your moves led to two new cards that showed your current orientation relative to each other. It was such a brilliant piece of design. I *think* each card showed your plane from your point-of-view, but it might have shown both planes.

Did each kind of specific plane have its own unique deck, or were the cards for both players?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I think the mystery paperback is Alan Dean Foster’s Outland. I think my parents have a copy.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Oh, on the tip of my tongue. Jane Yolen wrote it. Wizards’ hall!

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
My white whale is finding the magic way to get Parsons writing again. I adore his stuff. It’s creepy in a very unique way.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I may be imagining it, but I swear I saw footage of the puppet “warhorse” before he was fully developed. He went up on a stage from the left side audience section, and the person hosting the event pretended he was a real horse. Warhorse reared up nervously at one point. There’s some footage from Canada that looks about right, but I could have sworn parts were made of paper, not just wood. His puppeteers were hidden by a much less fully formed torso than the finished one. Can anyone find this?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Slimy Hog posted:

I once had a computer when I was a kid and before you were able to use it for the first time you had to move your mouse through this challenge of some kind.

I remember getting frustrated because sometimes the computer would reset itself and I'd have to do this dumb "game" before I could use it.

IIRC it was a monochrome display with green? This was in the 90s but I was poor so who knows how old the computer was?

Is this a false memory or does this ring a bell for anyone?

I don’t know about green, but I remember the first Macintosh had a black and white tutorial that would teach you how to use a mouse. Maybe that?

Edit: There’s a video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pwammW5syw

Domus fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

tango alpha delta posted:

This is a long shot, but here goes:

This is my daughter's favorite toy and I would like to buy a few more in case we lose this one. We've already lost it once but some very kind soul returned it to us.

Children become very attached to a toy because to them it's real.

Amazon and EBay, ToysRUs (I'm in Canada), Walmart and every other retail chain I can think of have failed me, so I am wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase a few more purple elephants exactly like this one.

If it helps, that’s a rip off of the Eric carle elephant toy. Can’t tell you who made the rip-off though.