Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
There is a movie I saw exactly one time. It was on TV (probably old 1980s HBO) and there was a scene with a guy inside like, a flower shop/green house kind of building(?) and he had crutches that had machine guns in them and he starts shooting up the place. Like, he doesn't disassemble them turn them into guns, he holding them under his arms and pointing them straight out and the guns shoot out of the bottom of the crutches. I know it is not "Day Of The Jackal" or "The Naked Man" with Michael Rapaport, but I know it exists. It's out there somewhere...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Also there's a clip on youtube of the "Power Glove" scene from "The Wizard" and when the dude says "I love the Power Glove, it's so bad" the "so bad" is just randomly slowed down by half so it's like "I love the power glove, it's sooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaddd"

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Bold Robot posted:

I've been trying to find an adventure game that I got on a MacAddict demo disc in the late 1990s. It was one of those games where you typed in commands like "look north," "search desk" and had black-and-white Manhole-style graphics. The plot was something like, you wake up in your house to go about your normal day, but weird stuff happens. I distinctly remember that you could encounter Busta Rhymes and if you got into combat with him, he would blow weed smoke in your face and you would lose health. You could also encounter an alien.

There were a lot of games like this, but only one with the weird Busta Rhymes weed smoke combat.

Not sure which disc this was on but Macintosh Repository has a ton of archived Sys9 and earlier software and I’m pretty sure they archived ALL Macaddict discs.

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/

I recently got SheepShaver set up on my mom’s OSX a machine and it’s been a blast

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Speaking of old Mac games, can we all just take a moment to remember Our Lord and Savior, Ambrosia Software?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Bold Robot posted:

RIP. The site and forums were still up until a few months ago, but are finally and truly dead now. Still kind of surprised and disappointed that they never did much with mobile/indie gaming, both of which boomed not super long after they started to fizzle out. Oh well.

I think EV Nova is available on GoG, but I don’t think holding out hope for Harry The Handsome Executive will be a good idea

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I dunno if this the same video, but it's deff the same guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA

"SCOOPS! Scoops Haagen Daz!"

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Are we all sure that dude isn't just talking about "Ghost Riders In The Sky" by Johnny Cash?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
My ultimate white whale is a scene from a movie (could be a TV show I guess) where a guy, pretty sure wearing a khaki trench coat is in like, some kind of flower shop or greenhouse, and he shoots the place up with machine gun crutches and it’s very 1980s with squibs just blowing the place apart.

My brother and I saw this exactly once, probably 1990 or 1991, and have no clue what it was from. We eventually convinced ourselves that it probably didn’t happen the way we remember.

Years later I was having a discussion about white whales with a buddy of mine who was from another part of the country and I described that scene, and when I looked at him it was as if he had seen a ghost. He said he remembers exactly that scene. And also has never figured out what it was. So wild.

It’s not The Jackal, where a dude builds a rifle out of crutches. Or the Michael Rappaport movie where a dude uses machine gun crutches, that’s from like 98.

It may be a TV show, but it seems like the production was movie quality. Maybe we somehow caught a Hong Kong action movie on HBO or something.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
So when I was elementary school there was this book that I used to check out, kids picture book about a family of pilots who did work for movies. For some strange reason I thought it might be French but translated? Book was from the 80s. I remember a big part about a guy who was landing a Corsair on a carrier, and the pictures actually showed this dude doing it. There was family drama that the guy didn’t want to actually try and trap the plane on the carrier but ultimately caved and I think he biffs it? Also lots of stuff of Stampe SV4s. It was almost like a reality show in that it was really these people who did this but also kind of a fictional storyline laid over the top? Anyone could help me with this I would love it.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Red posted:

When I was a kid, there was a short film I rented a few times (between 85 and 88) where toys (like the silly wind-up toys) wanted to find out where they came from. So they looked at their 'MADE IN JAPAN' labels, hopped on a plane, and found out how they were made and packaged.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Pretty sure that’s Blade Runner

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Looking for a claymation music. Dark, very similar to Keane’s “Bedshaped” but it’s not the right song. In fact I’m like 90% it’s by Keane but I just can’t find it. Seemed like like a weird dystopian eraserhead style world. Thinking i remembered something like a merry go round and the weird clay dude like, building himself a heart?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Kenna, not Keane!

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I remember a scene from a movie or TV show I saw when I was younger, couldn’t have been later than 1995 or 1996 I would say.

I remember a scene in a WW2 submarine torpedo room, looked kinda like Das Boot but it wasn’t, as these guys are loading a torpedo the propellor starts up and a dude’s hand gets just absolutely chewed up, then suddenly it cuts and it’s a guy laying on a couch who wakes up and grabs his hand, obviously a nightmare and then the camera pans down and it shows he fell asleep reading a book about u-boats.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

DoombatINC posted:

In the spirit of Take A Penny Leave A Penny, this is an informational video about AIDS that I spent my entire internet existence searching for only to come across recently.

The creepy virus infiltrator repeatedly murmuring "He's okay, let him goooo" found a cavity in my memory bank and just nestled its rear end in there for twenty-odd years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgUgd0HvWg

Oh god

I tried explaining this video someone once and they looked at me like I was mental

edit: Dude’s reaction at 4:55 “Oooooh how am I gonna explain this”

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 19, 2020

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Testicular Torque Wrench posted:

This one is 4 da gamers

More than 10 years ago, my dad would bring me back gifts from Flying J truck stops (he was a trucker).
These were games ranging from obscure (BHunter) to godlike (Deus Ex, Unreal Tournament) to less good.
When the budget was low he would bring back freeware or shareware type titles that probably sold for a dollar.

The one I've been trying to track down and name has escaped me all these years is one of these.
It is:
-probably shareware
-maybe never got a full release
-unknown publisher and country of release
-unknown release date but probably some years after Red Alert 1?
-it is an RTS game à la Red Alert+Starcraft
-you harvest blue minerals which are used to make drugs of some kind, that's your main ressource
-that's all lol

I have nothing to offer if you do manage to name the game other than the feeling of being stupid knowledgeable about ancient video games.

than k you thread

Dune or Dune 2?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

SUCKERRRSSSSSSSS

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
If anyone can find the old Conan clip where they keep cutting to a car chase but the car chase is just Hot Wheels being strung along with fishing line I would be grateful

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

No, but yeah essentially the same thing

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Back in probably ‘96 or ‘97 I was reading a gaming magazine, which I’m fairly certain was an issue of Next Generation there was an article and also an on disc video about a very early in development game that I want to say was called Virus where you had to fight a computer virus in a virtual world, but the game scanned your computer and the world you fought in was based on whatever hardware you had in your system. I never heard anything else about it and I’ve never dig up anything else.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Goddamnit it. It was that loving easy :(

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
A children's book from the 80s about a high school football team in Texas (I think) who's coach gets injured and the math teacher dresses up as a dude with a big fake Tom Selleck mustache. I specifically remember one of the players saying "Man, the new coach is really giving us the business" then she takes them all out for ice cream at the end of the book.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

ItsDisposable posted:

The specifics are a bit different, but "Miss Nelson has a Field Day" by Harry Allard seems worth a Google. The teacher's disguise is still female but there's another teacher with a Selleck 'tache, and "giving the business" crops up a couple of times.

As soon as I saw the title I knew that was it! Thanks!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I am looking for several pieces of artwork that are part of a series and appeared in one of my language arts textbooks in the mid-late 90’s.

It was a series of paintings of the exact same part of a town in middle America, and each painting was from the exact same perspective and but from a different time period showing the town’s growth from a small village town square to dirty 1970s metropolis and then a gentrified 90s modern city. It wasn’t one specific place and each building, billboard, store front etc were taken from actual places then combined together to create a generic American town/city. The view was from up high, and off to the side, like from the top of a building on the corner of the square. It was super interesting and the paintings were wildly detailed. I remember the text book having a lot of art like that. In fact the reason I started thinking about this is because of another painting that may or may not have been in the book, which I discovered last night, James Doolin’s “Highway Patrol” which may be the impetus for my love of cyberpunk looking cities.

Luckily with that one I never forgot the name and it was just the right combination of google keywords that found it.

If anyone could help it be wonderful.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I had seen those but the ones I’m describing are like, I dunno almost clinical? They were done in a very realistic style. The one specific thing I remember about them was that the 1950s/1960s one had a Holiday Inn sign from Topeka KS (I remembered this because I live in KS) so searching for that led me to a collection of Holiday Inn postcards from the 50s with that iconic sign, including one that said it was from Topeka, but was obviously not because there were palm trees in front of it. But I did find this image, which shows a shot of a street from a roughly similar viewpoint, though obviously I’m looking for something of a town square and not just a street

Imagine a more realistic version of a Jane Wooster Scott piece, from that high up oblique angle instead of a flat presentation

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Gotta be, i'm pretty certain it was 7th grade as well

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

uvar posted:

Oh, it's a standalone thing? Here's a list someone put together of picture books about the passage of time in "urban landscapes", several with scans/photos: http://www.playingbythebook.net/2012/05/21/urban-landscapes-picture-books-about-changes-over-time/

I'm posting from a different device and apparently I had this as a saved draft comment in this thread a month ago :iiam:

Yeah they were just a series of paintings used in an English textbook, not a book specifically about them. I’m going to try and see if that painting I posted earlier can give me clues to what text book it was used in, since I’m fairly certain it was the same book.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Scaramouche posted:

The pigman?

That’s what I thought too.

Personally I preferred Zindell’s goofy stories about kids fighting monsters.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
There was a movie I saw once that was from the late 80s or early 90s that was kind of like Night of the Living Dead but with huge giant wasps or mosquitoes or something. I remember it being in like a lovely house with boarded up windows and being a “survive the night” kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I found the movie I was looking for it’s just called “Mosquito” and it’s from 1994