Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
A few things from childhood.

One is an ice cream sandwich with blue, white, and pink ice cream inside. I ate one in the 90s but cannot find the brand, nor any record of these existing. Funnily enough while searching I found someone on Reddit (who also lived in New England in the 90s) who's had one of these. At least I know I didn't imagine it.

Second thing is a toy I had as a baby. It was a light blue two-sided cat made from terrycloth material, with a happy face on one side and a crying face on the other. The original got lost in a flood and I've been searching for another one for twenty years.

Also do any late gen-xers/early millennials here remember Encyclopedia Brown videos/film strips from the mid-80s? They had a really catchy theme song, but I can't recall anything else about them so it's hard to search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

gary oldmans diary posted:

there was a book i read when i was a kid and all i remember about it was a character named thaddeus blinn traveled into a town and gave 3 children a wish each and one of the kids wishes turned her love interest into a tree

It's called The Wish Giver, I read this too.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

This isn't it, but was it this sort of style? Possibly it was homemade/crafted and not mass produced. I had several stuffed toys like this that my grandma made. Could be this pattern?

There are entire Encyclopedia Brown eps on YouTube? That not what you're talking about?

Holy crap yes that clown is exactly like it! It's so incredibly similar that they must've come from the same pattern or maker. The sewing pattern linked seems different, my toy cat was flat like that clown, no place for buttons or clothes.

I've found the Encyclopedia Brown episodes on youtube but they're different, alas. The ones they showed us in school were mostly static illustrations with narration over them.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

The other is a children's picture book, this might be easier to find, but I can't find it because the details I know are too generic to search with. The opening part of it is a gradual zooming in on a...skeleton family? And it's phrased in a way like "In a dark, dark town, down a dark, dark street, is a dark, dark house..." etc. Or something like that. The art is predominantly black/white/yellow and maybe dark blue or something? Like, black is the primary palette. My memory of this is super vague but I'm pretty sure it's real. And it ends with panning out in the same fashion.

Funnybones by Janet & Allan Ahlberg?

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Acres of Quakers posted:

Back in the early 200Os I stumbled upon a song on Napster that was titled "Lilywhite sessions Too Blue". It featured a female vocalist and one of the lyrics of the chorus was:

The way I see it, your eyes are too blue,
Your voice a little too sweet.

I lost it when my hard drive died one day and have spent hour upon hour searching for any record of it, without luck. There's a song called Too Blue, but it's not the one I'm looking for.

This one is bugging me because I swear I've heard this song before ages ago. Can you give any more details about the exact year you found the song? What genre did it sound like?

I thought the song might be something from the the Steve Lillywhite Sessions on World Cafe, but afaik those only started ~2008 so I'm guessing that'd be too late. Maybe the song is from World Cafe in general? Unfortunately it's been around for like 30 years, so digging through the archives would be a pain.

Of course, that's assuming the napster info was even remotely correct.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Moai Ou posted:

I've posted about this in other white whale & identify this song threads for nearly a decade now, and still, bupkis.

There's a song on my PC that I don't remember downloading:

BOA - money.mp3

Googling the lyrics doesn't come up with anything. Shazam doesn't recognize it. I've looked through every band on Discogs with the name "Boa" and none of them have a song called "Money" or even including the word money. I've asked countless people and nobody has ever heard it.

If anyone can actually find out who this is, what album it's from and where to buy it, I'll buy you a forums upgrade of your choice.

I wonder if it was a pre-loaded track from some audio program you have (or had) installed. That would explain why it sounds so professional but no one knows about it.

It's a pretty good song, too.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

There was a song in 1996 by a female singer. It was a kind of sadish pop (possibly pop-country) song. I remember hearing a lyric as "the slime dripping from the door" but I'm pretty sure I misheard it. My parents would turn the TV off when I came in and it was on (I was 8) so I never got to hear all of it. The video was on quite a bit, but all I can remember is that the singer was white. It's always bothered me and I've never been able to figure out what song it was. I'm 100% sure it was out in 1996 (although it could've come out in 1995 and I just saw it in 1996) because I remember the house we were in and we only lived in it that year.

Sad pop-country and mention of a door and got played constantly? My guess is this Jewel song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGj77BrEgj4

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

A website that I'm sure I was linked to from these forums. It has chat logs of a conversation between some dweeb guy who keeps posting some type of emoji after everything he says and a girl he likes.

I can't actually remember anything else, just the guy posting something like this (●´ω`●) all the time.

Can't link rn but Google "Denko saga"

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blackchamber posted:

My friend had this same candle from Germany. He passed away years ago and I sort of collect things that remind me of him, which is kind of weird I guess. Unfortunately a lot of the things he had were thrown out by his rear end in a top hat dad (he didnt go to college or get a regular job so he could take care of his mom who had Lou Gehrig's disease until she passed, with the promise he'd get her old car and some money from his dad who just kicked him out when she died) and what he did have is probably rotting away in another friends garage in bum-gently caress-egypt.

I've seen it on eBay (where the pic is from) and while they said it was in excellent condition it obviously isnt. Paint has worn off which is okay but its scratched to hell everywhere. And they wanted something like $80 bucks for it after shipping. I keep holding out for something in better condition but it'll probably be years before another pops up for sale again. His was in really good condition after all.

I'm sorry about your friend :( What is the candle is called, or what search terms did you use to find that one on Ebay? The picture's small as hell on my screen so I can't tell what it is.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Senor P. posted:

Recently I have been on the hunt for semi-antique (circa 1980s) stone wear plate and coffee mug that I grew up with.

I have two pieces left in my posession,1000 miles away at home.

This is very stylistically similar:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Haniwa-sto...ZQAAOSwSQheY83h

But if I had to describe I would say it had a thin (1/2" or 1/4") brown line on the outside followed by blue (Maybe 1" thick) followed by a stone wear with a very light blue speckle on it.

A stone wear that is speckled blue similar to this cup...(but again, should be a thin dark brown stripe followed by dark blue, similar to that plate)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Brown-Trim-Stonewear-Creamer-Made-In-Japan/273484933024?hash=item3facf8e7a0:g:8ogAAOSwcTlbrlJh

If not one of the ones already posted, maybe this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/808175999/contemporary-chateau-dinner-plate-cobalt

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kosmo Gallion posted:

A YouTube video titled "a Dragon visits the Earth' or some such. Handheld footage of what looks like a Chinese Dragon, really far away "climbing" into the sky. It's less than a minute long and probably shot on a pre smartphone phone camera.

I swear I saw this too back in the day, but I only vaguely remember. Was it the first clip in this video? https://youtu.be/2sJNoW1ejLY

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Speaking of books, I read a children's or YA book in the early 2000s that I think was about exploring a huge weird magical castle. In one part, the characters come across an angel (?) who constantly cries. One of the characters is really blase about it, like "oh yeah that's so-and-so, he's always doing that" kind of thing.

I wish I could remember the name of it. I want confirmation I didn't dream it. It's impossible to search though.

InediblePenguin posted:

Thank you, that's absolutely it! I'd been looking in YA poo poo (well, i don't think YA was a category yet back then, but) because I was so young when I read it that I assumed it had to've been a kid's book from the school library, but my mom collects hardcover print copies of everything Stephen King puts out so we probably had that compilation for the sake of the King stories and I read it from her shelf.

YA existed in the early 90s, though it seemed to be a lot more focused on adolescent problems (I read sooo many books back then about what I can only describe as "tragic teen pregnancy"). Now a lot of it is paranormal for some reason.

I looked it up just now and apparently The Outsiders is considered the first real YA book, from 1967! I had no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Years ago, I remember stumbling upon a website that posted bits and pieces of gossip from some 1950s/early 60s British music magazine. The gossip was quite snarky and the magazine columnist had the pen name of Alley Cat.

I'd love to find that again.

Can't help with the exact site, but I think that's the Tail-pieces by the Alley Cat column from NME. Alley Cat was Maurice Kinn's pseudonym.