Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

There’s this defunct noise band from the 90s called Five Starcle Men whose records are already almost impossible to find. The band itself is shrouded in mystery. All I really know about them is one member committed suicide. Their music isn’t for everyone, it’s mostly weird lo fi voice and found sound loops and might have something to do with aliens. Once in a while, something “new” from a forgotten tape still gets released digitally or on YouTube. What never comes up ever is the fact that they did a faux gangsta rap release that I think was originally a seven inch. Stupid rear end lyrics about weed and drive bys over hosed up cheap drum machine. One track has someone just repeating “I’m a muthafuckin gangstar, I’m down with the muthafuckin shankstar”. I had this on a cassette copy of a copy which I later transferred to mp3. It’s so dumb and impossibly rare and from a band that maybe ten people know about. An actual record may or may not even exist. It’s not on discogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I used to watch a ton of Nickelodeon in the very early days, around 1985. They did a lot of PSA type stuff for kids and teens between shows. There was a series that would start with a question a kid might ask about growing up, then it would show regular kids hanging out in playgrounds giving their best answers. One was a boy asking “how do I get girls to like me?”. Then cut to different kids all saying stuff along the lines of “just be yourself”. The last kid they showed was an absolute goofball sitting on a wall surrounded by his friends. He had on an enormous pair of sunglasses shaped like lightning bolts. His answer to how to get girls to like you was “Steal their comb. It works.”
All his friends die laughing while he just sits there with this smartass look on his face. That response made more sense to eleven year old me than anything anyone else said. I wanted to be that kid. I have had no luck finding the clip. My memory has cast him looking like Dustin from Stranger Things with lightning bolt shades but I’m sure he looked nothing like that.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

There was a punk rock zine back in the day that had a comic strip called Ferret that was a punk ferret character going to shows and making fun of scenesters iirc. I can’t remember the name of the artist or the name of the magazine. Google only turns up lovely web comics and lovely furry crap of course. This comic strip I’m looking for is also lovely but in a 80s hand drawn punk way. I vaguely remember liking the drawing style and it being sort of funny. I only saw it a couple times. I just want to confirm that the actual thing is as cool as my foggy memory of it.

As a side note, it is interesting to me how memories are preserved over time. There’s sometimes that moment when you first rediscover some obscure thing you hadn’t seen or thought about in years. Before you found it you would not be able to recall certain details about it, but as soon as you actually lay eyes on it, it’s somehow exactly as crappy as you remember, and you go “yep, that’s all that was”.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

That is actually very cool, but no. It was definitely called Ferret, and it was very crudely drawn with black lines. And it was about the punk scene. I don’t think Ferret even really looked like a ferret.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Pyroclastic posted:

Yeah, I've been trying, and it just isn't enough to go on. Was the zine actually from the 80s? Was it in black & white? Do you remember anything else about the zine? Was it a long-running, popular one, or something that lasted for six months in 1987 and only distributed around Milwaukee?
It's entirely possible literally zero copies have survived to be scanned into the internet.

I just asked my friend who originally showed me the magazine years ago because now it’s driving me nuts. It was called Black Market, from the mid/late 80s, think it was L.A. based. He said he would scan the ferret comics for me. I’m psyched. It certainly was a very underground publication and there’s not a whole lot of scans online.