Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

mr_mojo posted:

Many years ago, in the early to mid 90s (though it was second hand so could be older) I read a book about a British sailors and Pacific islanders in the age of sail. It might have been historical fiction based on Cook or the mutiny on the Bounty or perhaps more just inspired by those events. The main female character might have been a princess and went off with the sailors. It felt like a mix of trashy romance and adventure and I mainly enjoyed it because it had some very saucy scenes. I think the cover was largely red in colour, possibly with said lady/princess looking alluring. Having read more about the Bounty and its history I remembered the book and tried to find it just out of curiosity and it's driving me crazy that I can't find it.
Would be amazed if anyone was able to ID it from these half remembered snippets that might all be wrong, but any help would be super appreciated.

Are you thinking of Horatio Hornblower? The main female character is a duchess or something who has to be rescued but then ends up on the ship with the hero for several books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I'm looking for a novel or maybe a short story from around 2000-2005 about a Lunar colony cut off from Earth by a Kessler syndrome event. The colonists have to scramble to survive but develop a way to become self-sufficient.

Does anyone know what it's called?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
They could be on Mars, but I'm pretty sure it's the moon.

This is a good reminder to pick up Seveneves, a lot of people love it.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I'm trying to find a book series from the 80s/90s. It was a Encyclopedia Brown style boy detective series but set in Utah in the late 1800s. The main characters family isn't Mormon but there is a lot written about Mormons.

Any ideas of what these books could be?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

The Great Brain books, I think?

EDIT: these, which are a little older but which I definitely read as a kid in the '90's

Yes, that's it! Thank you!