Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Movie/Show on TV. Early 2000s or late 90s.

Guy is in his tighty whities on a bed, flexing his butt in a funny way to make a woman in the room laugh.

The scene then escalates to this guy hitting her with what I remember is a 2X4 asking, "Why'd you make me do it?"

This scarred me and I need to put it to rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Xlorp posted:

Unfortunately no. The copy I had was from the 1970s with classical and almost geometric lines worked into the people and what they were wearing. Vintage childrens book as keywords got me closer but no hits.
The SEE-INSIDE illustration from this one is more fluid and emotional. Interesting in its own way.

Books.google pulled up a book by Juliet Mozley. Googled that name + title and voila.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Posters should be required to go back a dozen pages and try to solve before asking for

A FREE LUNCH

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Churchill posted:

Can't remember if it was from the forums or just linked from here, but I'm trying to find a post where someone's advice on how to make friends at work was to create an exclusive happy hour e-mail list, controlling who went on it and also having it at a different venue each time thus ensuring noone could just show up without being on the list. Apart from being the MO of a psychopath it was also super creepy since part of why it was such a "great" idea was that he'd make sure there were an equal amount of men and women on the list ostensibly to keep the ratio balanced but in reality it was all about skewing the odds in his favour. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Feeling left out at work, friend?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

My Sister's Machine?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Late 90's - mid 200's TV show. It didn't run that long, but it ran somewhere in there.

It follows a young guitarist/singer and who i remember to be his manager? Maybe agent? Record label rep? No idea. But I'm remembering the young guitarist to be John Mayer, and that's totally wrong. Pretty sure it was on Network television, and isn't Vinyl, Instant Star, or I'm With the Band. I can picture the manager actor, but he's b or c-list so hard to find. Dark hair, kind of a everyman/straight character who always does the same thing and was always in stuff but never mega famous.

Any ideas?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

MachineryNoise posted:

The Chris Isaak Show?

I actually found it via a list of dark haired actors including Justin Long, then to the show Ed, then to Tom Cavanagh, who starred in Love Monkey. Now to dig to see if John Mayer was ever in it.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I gave up trying to get my mom to remember an ice cream dessert that came in a box.

Vienetta announced they were coming back AND solved a decades-long search.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

Any “After Dark” screensavers from 25 years ago that work on Win10? I used to have all of them on a floppy, including the one that was (cannot recall the name) like violent or bloody or so? I loved every one of them, but lost the disks back around Win98 SE when I got done with my 27” CRT. They aren’t exactly hard to find, but finding them for Win10 -64 Pro is impossible for me.

The one I really want is the full-screen chalkboard filling up with math equations related to Einstein’s work. Any of them been ported to any newer system including a newer distribution of Linux?

Yeah yeah yeah this is the good poo poo.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

A scene from late 90s/early 00s TBS Superstation or other daytime movie TV.

A guy is in his tighty whities on a (hotel?) bed, flexing his butt in weird ways to make the woman with him laugh.

I think he says, "And here's the cockeyed!"

*FLEX*

Out of nowhere, he smacks the woman with a 2x4 board and says, "Why'd you make me do it?"

This was jarring to see, and I was too young to understand what was going on. Please, white whale thread, I'd like to understand.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

fritz posted:

If somebody with better eyes has a guess as to the distribution of letters, I'll produce more lists. ISFDB should have covers for these things too, and if nobody comes up with anything better I'll see if I can wrangle something there.

My impression is one word, 5-8 letters. I'm thinking wide, stylized fonts. Sorting by first letters like C & O, potentially a stylized G or T.

Some horror books published by Coronet have the look I have in mind, but can't find a match!

Edit: This is the perfect white whale puzzle. I'm hooked.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 27, 2021

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Superman: TAS has an episode called "Unity" with a mind control alien goop/tentacle thing plot. Aired in 1999.

Edit: oh, live action nvm.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Sounds cool, OP. I want to watch it now.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

EDIT: You!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Nobody is going to get this, but here goes:

A children's book about a young boy who decides to turn himself into a petrol pump as he is unhappy with his life. This slowly happens when he runs away from home, sticks 2 fingers in his ear, is made to swallow an abacus and more weird stuff. At the end his parents come along and pump petrol from him without knowing it is their son.

The abacus swallowing is part of his transformation into a real petrol pump as it forms his display. He also gets violently kicked in the shins by his first customer when he is unable to produce any petrol due to nerves.

I know this sounds like a fever dream and for years I was convinced I'd made it up, but thanks to this thread and DuckDuckGo, I found a goodreads thread where someone was asking about the exact same book.

It may have been part of a collection of short stories too as I don't remember the story being very long.

Gasoline Pump Boy book!!!!

Sorry if I've reposted this, but I told a friend about the book with the boy who turns into a gasoline pump. Friend sent me this today. I'll try to track down OP here, but if anyone else knows off top of head plz let them know.

Timestamped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsJmUHlAntw&t=435s

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 13, 2021

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Fantasy MMORPG between 2003 - 2009. Not AdventureQuest, Everquest or Runescape, but Everquest-ish graphics. F2P, but you could subscribe. Was NOT buy to play. Could have been in a browser. There was a loading screen right away with some acoustic guitar that was awesome. Early on, there was a snowy zone where I believe you could farm werewolves near a lake. Definitely snow, not sure on the werewolves part. I played on a lovely dell PC. I believe it was $30ish/month because I remember asking parents for the money.

I've dug through every list and I can't find it. I'm really just looking for the plucked acoustic guitar song.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

I'm still looking for any recording of All the Wrong Parties by Jejune (2019) but I'm also now looking for the old edit of the Oracle scene from the Matrix that was on Albinoblacksheep or something and has her saying "I'm making fingers! They're MONKEY fingers!!"

A little googlin around: https://tv.ukm.no/Jejune/12997

IDK who Jejune is so maybe not right.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

mystifying though

It's an expected routine/behavior form that doesn't end as OP expects. This mystifies OP. Why start the routine, but not complete it?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

There’s huge media infrastructure churning this poo poo out, and it’s totally hidden unless you’re fundamentalist and subscribe to PureFlix or whatever.

But holy hell that’s wild. The bad boy reading scripture, the injured soldier standing up and saluting at the end and the flag taking Baby Jesus’ place. Christploitation indeed.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

There's a fair bit of overlap between the machine the makes these and the machine the makes Lifetime movies, so you end up with a bunch of Sears catalog models whose imdb pages alternate between titles like "A Very Jesus Kinda Christmas" and "I Killed my Boss with Sex: The Chrissy Sawdust Story"

I can't decide if working as Lifetime actor would be hell or somehow rule.

Also I'm still not over Christploitation. That loving rules. What a name.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

magic cactus posted:

I spent all morning googling before remembering this thread existed, so here goes nothing:

I'm looking for a music video. It's some kind of death metal/metalcore thing (this would have been in the mid 2000's, maybe 2007? so I think that would be the right genre maybe?)

Anyway, from what I remember the video takes place in an old house, vaguely dungeon-like. I don't remember too much, but intercut with footage of the band is this story about two children playing together or falling in love or something, told in flashbacks. The thing that burned itself into my mind is the final shot of the video. A woman, heavily implied to be the same child from the flashback, now an old crone, reaching for the singer, but it plays out like a shadowplay on the dungeon wall. That image really stuck with me and I'd like to find the video again.

If there are any Canadagoons in the thread, I'm like 95% positive I saw this on MuchMusic back in the day.

Anyway, would be cool to see it again if it can be found.

Thanks!

You should ask the metal thread in NMD, too.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I noticed some changes way back when google changed their algorithm. I have within the last few months noticed increasingly horrendous results. It’s a real shame.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Coredump posted:

Fragrance

Bet the fragrance thread in YLLS could help

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387386&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=139

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 24, 2022

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

An image of a promotional pamphlet for the 2006 movie "Accepted," encouraging application to South Harmon Institute of Technology. It came with my CCS catalog, which makes me think it shared a mailing list. Inside where juvenile puns on various classes like "woodworking." I can't find evidence of it online, but I for sure received one in the mail.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Riptor posted:

You should tweet at @NightPromoting; the whole account is focused on highlighting dumb promotional stuff for movies no one cares about

https://twitter.com/common_elf/status/1534755748596617216?s=20&t=enmK-xQHAbVq4-Po8zVzZw

https://twitter.com/NightPromoting/status/1187898973794787328?s=20&t=enmK-xQHAbVq4-Po8zVzZw

Fascinating, (un)fortunately I have logged off twitter.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The October 3, 2011 episode of MTV's Stand In.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone visit an NYU class, dishing some ok writing advice. It's a neat time capsule of 2011 NYU students, as well. I've found MTV's page on the Internet Archive, but the full episode itself has been difficult to track down.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

“Racist, no longer dates white men.”

lol

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

XYZAB posted:

hope u got ten bux lol

But for real I'm pretty sure I checked a few years ago the last time I posted it in this thread, and it either wasn't there, or all of the image links were broken.

Worth noting that some of the old waffleimages links were recovered after the forums changed hands.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Target Practice posted:

I have a "help me identify an album" that I have been trying to figure out for years.

In 2004-2005 my wife and I had just started dating. One of our firstish dates was to a tiny independent theater called The Palm in San Luis Obispo CA. Before the movie, they raffled off a CD (I believe it was a new release).That album became part of our early relationship soundtrack for road trips, sitting at the beach at 3am, and making up after nasty fights. I lost the album sometime and I would love to get it back.

Acoustic singer songwriter, male, kind of a faster paced style on some songs, lilting on ballads? The album art was black linework on a white background. I believe like a detailed city skyline kind of, lots of intricacies.

I associate like, the end of the world or the apocalypse to one of his love songs, maybe a whale on another one?

He was probably a local guy that never did anything again but this has plagued me for like 15 years.

Have you tried humming a song into Google’s hum to search?

EDIT: SLB acoustic-ish album from 2004 with a song about a whale

https://youtu.be/Ls6bdjVxLqc?si=9uBZss-nB0up-AC6

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Target Practice posted:

Nah, that's not it. Honestly it's been so long neither my wife and I can remember a drat tune. I think we were just so fuckin' despressed in our 20s that we blocked out almost everything.

I’ll throw out Damien Rice’s 9 because it’s from 2006, very depressing at times and has a lineworky album cover. Probably not it, but I got to rediscover a great album today!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zm1rF55IvA&pp