Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

cormorant posted:

WHUS, in Connecticut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GlB7jKi2Ww

Is this it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Awful CompSloth posted:

A book that was a collection of creepy stories for kids that I read in elementary school so sometime in the mid to late 2000's. The only stories I remember from it are one about this kid who attends a school for wizards or something, and at the end he finds that when they graduate the creepy floating hand that's the principal of the school is going to snatch the last kid in line to keep forever. The kid solves this by telling the hand that there's one more kid behind him, and has the hand grab his shadow to keep forever. Another story is about someone who makes a violin or something out of a special wood and he becomes cursed and dies or something, I forgot.
Maybe Bruce Colville's Book of Nightmares? There were a couple of these, YA horror collections with some good stories.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bitmap posted:

A video game, on an earlish console (I think nes). One of those "USE key ON door" games like Zork where each room in a dungeon had a single picture to describe it, no animations, a little menu down the bottom with the action commands to select with a cursor? Anyway, all I remember about this game specifically is that in one screen you are in a narrow room with a dead end and a torch on each wall, left and right. Hitting the left torch opens a secret door. On another screen there is a rickety bridge. My older brother assured me you could cross the bridge if you dumped your inventory. The last screen I remember is...a vaguely...brass? Coloured ghost? Blocking your path? I understand that these are the jankiest, most generic recollections from what could be any adventure game.
One of the Ultimas? A Wizardry? Shadowgate?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Big Butt Skinner posted:

In high school I played a 2d sidescroller flash game constantly. It was black and white and sorta based on the Matrix bullet time concept, shooting and dodging bullets and whatnot. It involved a lot of jumping and the characters didn't have arms, just hands that floated near their bodies. I don't think they had legs either. The main character may have worn a top hat?

It's probably not even very fun but I just want to know what it was called and try it again.
Sounds like part of the old Madness series on Newgrounds, IDK if they were just videos or there were actual games

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

8 Ball posted:

A (probably) edutainment game about Vikings, specifically a Viking village, from about 25 years ago - I think it was isometric and you could walk around/control an avatar? I only got to play it once because it was a reward for finishing your schoolwork early and uh I wasn’t a great student :v: I think that’s partly why it has stuck with me, it seemed much more interesting and visually appealing than other edutainment stuff but I never got to finish it :(
Was it one of these?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Child

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_of_the_Gods_(video_game)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdoms_of_England_II:_Vikings,_Fields_of_Conquest

My white whale is also an old edutainment game. It was very bizarre, not in 3-D, definitely for DOS or Windows 3.1. It was vaguely a mystery or adventure game, you start in a town and at some point you are traveling down a river (maybe the Amazon?) by plugging in the angles at which you want your boat to travel. The last thing you do is "draw" some crystal shapes as some sort of cure for something in a lab. It sounds insane but I swear it was real, this would have been '96 or so I played it but it definitely came out way earlier.

E: It's almost certainly abandonware, and I suspect it was just one of those old Windows shareware games that has simply disappeared

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jeza posted:

Is it The Crystal Rainforest? Sorta hits a lot of your points.
Yes! Lmao. I loving love goons.

e: It was a really early version, too, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMi0QoLB4gM

God drat, this video is a trip for me. Sadly it's just a demo, apparently the full version is real hard to find. Almost every other screenshot etc. is from a later edition.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 12, 2019